Huron County Parks, MI

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by yankeeblue, Jul 31, 2003.

1. yankeeblue

yankeeblue
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone stayed in the thumb area of Michigan in the county parks? They all seem to be listed with georgeous web sites on the lakes, but I wonder if they really are as good as the ad lists.
    We are perticularily interested in Wegener County Park since we have reservations there in October.

thanks for any info you can help with! :D

2. michiganmoons

michiganmoons
    Expand Collapse

We stayed 3 days in Sebewaing Park last week and enjoyed our stay. :D This park is difficult to get to because of bridge construction in the city of Sebewaing, but once in the park, it was very nice and quiet. There weren't a lot of children, but appeared to be a lot of resident campers with big boats. I understand that boat docking is also available. Access to the water was nil due to the water level in Lake Huron being so low :angry:

3. krenee

krenee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(yankeeblue @ Jul 31 2003, 03:15 PM) [snapback]117[/snapback]

Has anyone stayed in the thumb area of Michigan in the county parks? They all seem to be listed with georgeous web sites on the lakes, but I wonder if they really are as good as the ad lists.
    We are perticularily interested in Wegener County Park since we have reservations there in October.

thanks for any info you can help with! :D

We stayed at Wagener Park in August and had a great time even though it rained... a lot. Wagener has lake views but you have to walk pretty far out across weeds and rocks to get to the water. There is an area with a small dock where you can take a paddle boat out. The lake-view sites will probably be pretty windy and it typically it is about 10 degrees cooler near the shore there than inland so dress warm!

There is a small camp "store" where you can buy firewood (I think) or get change for the showers. The restrooms are not too bad and the 4 showers take a quarter to operate for 4 minutes of shower time. The water pressure is great and the water is nice and warm so taking a shower is a good way to remove the cold-weather chill.

There seems to be three areas to Wagener Park. When you first enter the park, there is a full hookup area, then you come across a more wooded area where tent campers and the camper cabins are located, and the back area closest to the water only has electric hookups.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!