I'm Trying An Eva-dry

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Feb 3, 2011.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I've been camp hosting in a really humid place, and I didn't pay attention and ended up with a very light layer of mildew all over the interior of the driver/passenger area of my Class C RV. Didn't even notice it cuz it was behind the separation curtain, until a friend came to visit and said, "you have condensation on the INSIDE of your windshield and then reminded me of why that was a bad thing. So, I opened the driver door, and HOLY COW! All over the dashboard, on the floor, under the seat...... It was just a light layer, the upholstery was ok. I got out a pail and used white vinegar and borax and got it all. I think I'm ok.

After that, I left the passenger and driver windows open just a crack (since they are behind the curtain), and then opened the tiny windows in the overhead bunk just a crack, and it seemed to take care of the condensation.

But yesterday I was at an RV dealer getting something checked, and I saw that they sold thingies called EVA-DRY.

Supposedly they are good for 10 years. They have crystals in the units, no chemicals, no muss no fuss. The unit has a meter that goes from blue (dry) to pink (wet). You just hang one up and when it turns pink, you plug it into an outlet and it "regenerates." (When I read the word "regenerates" I immediately thought of "Dr. Who.") Supposedly you can hang it for 30 days before you need to "regenerate" it.

JJ

2. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

I am REALLY curious how this device works.

Dumb question: When you plug it in to regenerate, does it just heat up and re-humidify all that moisture back into your coach? :blink:

Would love to have a passive de-humidifier system that didn't stink, perfume or otherwise poison the air in our rig.

Thanks for your insights!

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

A better system is to open the vent in bathroom plus open a window a small amount as you cook or shower to help move water vapor to outside. Cold dry air will stop this problem. Yes, the heat (plug it in) will dry out the crystals and you start over. :D

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Feb 3 2011, 06:28 PM) [snapback]25390[/snapback]

Dumb question: When you plug it in to regenerate, does it just heat up and re-humidify all that moisture back into your coach? :blink:

I just bought the thing, haven't done a "regeneration" yet. But from the directions, it appears that you have to put the moisture SOME where...... so I think you are supposed to put a bucket under it or something when you "regenerate."

JJ

5. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Feb 4 2011, 12:53 AM) [snapback]25393[/snapback]

I just bought the thing, haven't done a "regeneration" yet. But from the directions, it appears that you have to put the moisture SOME where...... so I think you are supposed to put a bucket under it or something when you "regenerate."

JJ

Their web site says the heat release water vapor - so either plug it in outside (says it takes 12-14 hours) or in the bathroom with the vent running.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I used to use one in my sailboat, but when it filled up, you just threw it away. This was a real low tec chemical only thing, but it had the same name.

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

This is a "feel good" product. It does work, but.......

Even their largest unit will only remove 1.29 pints per day--and that is rating it at 86F and 80% humidity. Most 110 volt units are rated at 20 or more pints per day.

As John said, crack a roof vent and open a window. The cold air coming in, as it is warmed to room temperature, drops in relative humidity. The colder it is outside, the better this works. I prefer to have as much "distance" as possible between the vent and the window that I open--and I keep a heater (mini oil filled electric) by the open window to mitigate any cold drafts.

Since you have the silica gel unit, you may as well use it..but notice they suggest that it is for a "large closet". It might be suitable for a storage compartment.

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Don,

We find that by opening the vent a little near shower and opening a window (small amount) near front of motorhome this works the best. No mold problems every. We run the overhead heat packs and see no problem in drop of room temperature. As humidity drops we close up the vent and window. The chemical packs are way to slow to work in a motorhome.