Interstate Exits Guide For Iphone And Other Smartphone Users

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by jan-n-john, Sep 20, 2009.

1. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

I find AllStays an extremely useful site, with many kinds of travel information including specific information for RV'rs http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/campgrounds.htm . It also has an interstate exit guide, giving all the relevant businesses available at each exit listed in sequence. But up until now I at least have only been able to use it on a full-sized computer.

We have made it a practice to always have the "Next Exit" book with us while traveling--really good to know how far it is to the next place to get diesel, find a clean rest room at a Cracker Barrel, find a Wal-mart, etc. To me, once you have this resource, you just don't ever want to travel without it.

Now I have discovered AllStays has their interstate exit information in a form optimized for small smartphone screens. It's a regular website, not an app, and can be found using a smartphone at http://m.allstays.com/ This is very useful to have when traveling, so I thought I'd post it for anyone who has a web-enabled smartphone. The information is free. You can also get to this mobile version from some, but not all, desktops and laptops--it appears to be an Apple vs. Microsoft thing, with Microsoft on the short end of the stick.

The home page on the mobile version of their site also has a finder section for campgrounds and road stores. For those, there is a one-click map, and for the campgrounds there are also one-click links to their websites.

2. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

Update to my earlier post above regarding Allstays and their interstate exit info. They now have it in app form for the iPhone, for those of you who use one. It's called iExit and they are selling it for $2.99, but claim that is temporary and will soon be raised to $4.99. The same information can be accessed through their website, but the app route is probably easier and faster. It also has very basic campground info plus some other stuff.

3. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

for those without an iPhone, I use Google Maps on my Nokia 5800..

In the motor home, I installed a dedicated computer. I plan to upgrade that system this next season. Right now, it is a microATX, and I plan to go with a smaller form factor next spring.

Now that my MH is 5 years old, I do not feel so bad poking holes in the skin. I plan to install an external WiFi (2.4GHz) antenna so I do not need to put an antenna up when we stop. Also, with a fixed antenna, when we stop along the road, and if there is a motel nearby, and motels usually have open WiFi access, I'll be able to pull network access. Right now, that is something I can only do with the cell phone.

The one issue that I have with Google Maps, it does not have campground info on the cell phone, but I do have that on the computer where I load MapPoint.

Bob

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Jan 14 2010, 11:28 PM) [snapback]20670[/snapback]

Update to my earlier post above regarding Allstays and their interstate exit info. They now have it in app form for the iPhone, for those of you who use one. It's called iExit and they are selling it for $2.99, but claim that is temporary and will soon be raised to $4.99. The same information can be accessed through their website, but the app route is probably easier and faster. It also has very basic campground info plus some other stuff.