Invertors

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Krazy Koach, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Krazy Koach

Krazy Koach
    Expand Collapse

Drove all day to get to Hammond rv dealer to find out answers and get an invertor so I dont have to start my genie to watch my big screen. Not only do they not have any but they also dont know anything about them, some pros,
    I found a 2000 watt unit at a truck stop for $200. My question is does it have to be a Sine wave unit, I know its more than enough wattage but not being a Swave would this damage my TV and also approximately how long do they last on 2-

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Krazy Koach,

400 watts would be enough to run your TV. Those can be found at places such as Walmart. Buy one and try it--it there are "noise bands" on the TV then return it and get a "true sine wave" inverter. True sine wave units cost approximately double what modified sine wave units cost.

QUOTE(Krazy Koach @ Oct 29 2009, 08:23 PM) [snapback]19796[/snapback]

Drove all day to get to Hammond rv dealer to find out answers and get an invertor so I dont have to start my genie to watch my big screen. Not only do they not have any but they also dont know anything about them, some pros,
    I found a 2000 watt unit at a truck stop for $200. My question is does it have to be a Sine wave unit, I know its more than enough wattage but not being a Swave would this damage my TV and also approximately how long do they last on 2-

3. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

What Don said.

In a previous rig I used a cheapo small inverter to run the TV. I took back the first one because it caused noise in the TV picture. The second one worked.

Understand that you aren't going to be able to plug a 2000 watt inverter into a cigarette lighter. It will need to be wired directly to the batteries.

Big TVs use a fair amount of power. You will need to monitor your battery voltage fairly closely.

4. Krazy Koach

Krazy Koach
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Oct 30 2009, 09:46 AM) [snapback]19804[/snapback]

Hi Krazy Koach,

400 watts would be enough to run your TV. Those can be found at places such as Walmart. Buy one and try it--it there are "noise bands" on the TV then return it and get a "true sine wave" inverter. True sine wave units cost approximately double what modified sine wave units cost.

Thanx for the help!
    Peter