Invertors

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by 06roadglide, Mar 7, 2010.

1. 06roadglide

06roadglide
    Expand Collapse

I am replacing my invertor in my RV. The unit recommended has a 30 amp AC transfer switch. I believe my 2 AC units pull 15 amp each. Am I limiting my ability to run both AC's as well as other electronics if I do no not choose a replacement unit with a 50 amp AC transfer switch? Side note: the recommended unit has 50 amp surge, but not sure if that is relavent?

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi 06roadglide,

How many watts are the air conditioners?

An air conditioner, when it is starting, may draw up to ten times the normal number of watts. I suspect that 30 amps is a constant load--and that surges may be 50% greater for up to an hour--and in some cases triple that number for 10 seconds.

What did the old inverter have?

I prefer units without automatic functions, so I have no direct experience with AC transfer switches.

There would be no harm in using a higher rating if that makes you feel more comfortable. It may be considerably harder on your pocket book to do so.

Good luck!

QUOTE(06roadglide @ Mar 7 2010, 01:09 PM) [snapback]21197[/snapback]

I am replacing my invertor in my RV. The unit recommended has a 30 amp AC transfer switch. I believe my 2 AC units pull 15 amp each. Am I limiting my ability to run both AC's as well as other electronics if I do no not choose a replacement unit with a 50 amp AC transfer switch? Side note: the recommended unit has 50 amp surge, but not sure if that is relavent?

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Hard to understand the the 30 amps over 50 amps and inverter problem. The two A/C units do not run off the inverter but the inverter can pull a good bit of A/C power if the batteries are low. If you run two A/C units you need 50 amps or one of the power control units that will let you use two A/C's at the same time on 30 amps. The 50 amp plan is the way to go but you may need to rewire if set up for 30 amps. The A/C units will pull 13.5 amps each running and like Don said lots more on start up.

4. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(06roadglide @ Mar 7 2010, 12:09 PM) [snapback]21197[/snapback]

If your RV uses only 30 amp service, there is no point in buying a 50 amp transfer switch. One leg of it wouldn't be used.

In case you don't know what your RV uses, 30 amp service (and transfer switches) uses three wires. 50 amp service uses four wires. Take a look at your power plug.

If your RV has 30 amp service and two air conditioners, you probably can't run both at the same time.

Hope that helps.