Jekyll Island

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by stevesgirl, Jan 25, 2011.

1. stevesgirl

stevesgirl
    Expand Collapse

Any opinions on Jekyll Island campground? The reviews on this website sound pretty good, but the reviews on tripadvisor.com are horrible! I'm so confused!! We would like to go there for Spring Break, but I don't want to make a mistake and end up being miserable for a whole week! Opinions please!!!

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We were in the lodging business for 10 years and discovered that in our small town at least 70 % of Trip Adviser was bogus. They come from owners writing great reviews of their places and horrible reviews of their competitors. This was especially true in hard economic times when more people were chasing fewer customers. Trip adviser is funded by click thru ads and the more content they have, the more money they make and they love it. They do almost nothing to try to stop the bogus reviews. A crooked owner can go to Yahoo, Google, or many other free email services and set up an email account and send in a bogus review one after the other. I had a competitor send in a bad one about us and forgot to use a different email. His own email was right there saying he had stayed at our place. This site runs on a different model and makes good attempts to screen out that type of bogus review. What I am saying is discount Trip Adviser for good reason. You might also just start a thread about the one you think you like and see if others have stayed.

3. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Lindsay about TripAdvisor. I use it to check out hotels in Europe, Africa and the Middle East and have to say that it has become unreliable. Too many of the reviews are extremely negative and don't correspond to my experiences. As for Jekyll Island Campground, it is quite shaded, not a lot of privacy, the washrooms and showers are mostly ok but can get a lot of use at peak times. WiFi was not the greatest when we were there a few years ago, might be better now. I rate the campground at 7, not top notch but ok. I don't think you would be miserable there...

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

stevesgirl,

We have been to this park. I did not like it at all. The good and bad. Good part is heavy trees and this would be cool in summer months. Bad part is trees, makes it hard to drive around in the park. The park is like parking in the woods someplace, pine trees. Hookups were all over the place, sites hard to get into, no gravel anyplace so you will have mud if you have rain, place has the look of an old fish camp to me. This is an island so take everything you need, you pay a GA toll fee as you come over the bridge. Did have a place to buy some items. Island is full of hotels. RV park is not close to water, on north end of island. Island is nice to tour, look at all the older hotels and move on to me.

5. flourpedal

flourpedal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jan 28 2011, 10:54 AM) [snapback]25349[/snapback]

stevesgirl,

We have been to this park. I did not like it at all. The good and bad. Good part is heavy trees and this would be cool in summer months. Bad part is trees, makes it hard to drive around in the park. The park is like parking in the woods someplace, pine trees. Hookups were all over the place, sites hard to get into, no gravel anyplace so you will have mud if you have rain, place has the look of an old fish camp to me. This is an island so take everything you need, you pay a GA toll fee as you come over the bridge. Did have a place to buy some items. Island is full of hotels. RV park is not close to water, on north end of island. Island is nice to tour, look at all the older hotels and move on to me.

I have to agree with John Blue about this park. I did not like this campground at all. My notes that I took when we were there---"Kind of shabby and "junky" looking".

Sherri

6. 2055

Expand Collapse

QUOTE(flourpedal @ Jan 28 2011, 01:36 PM) [snapback]25350[/snapback]

I have to agree with John Blue about this park. I did not like this campground at all. My notes that I took when we were there---"Kind of shabby and "junky" looking".

Sherri

Add my agreement to the list. I wouldn't say it's the worst campground we've ever stayed at, but it's darned close.