Just A Thought...

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by TXBobcat, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

I have a suggestion. There are many topics on this forum. I noticed that rather than start a new topic a number of persons are replying to a thread that has not been posted to for about a year.

If I am asking for information or a discussion about something and it is mainly dated, it is intresting that someone will post to the thread after the time I needed the information.

I would like to see a number of new threads with up-to-date information, questions and suggestions.

This is an intresting forum and I would like to see a lot of activity.

I am stating this with a positive attitude, not to be complaining or contestive. What is your thoughts??

FWIW
    Travel Safe & may God Bless
    BC

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Well, I think some get upset at a "new" thread being started to ask a question that has been asked before. However, I, too, am guilty of not checking to see if the question has been asked before, and starting a new thread.

But, if a thread already exists on something I want to know, I will add to the thread even though most of the stuff is "Dated," just maybe for comparison......

Really, I have no opinion one way or the other.... this forum has plenty of activity.

Glad you want to post stuff! It's fun to get to know other people through their posts!

JJ

3. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

BC,

While I appreciate the point you are trying to make, there are some problems with starting a "new" thread on a topic that was discussed 6 months or even longer ago:

1. The people who participated in the previous discussions, may not want to spend the time restating their opinions. Some will reference the old threads or just not bother to participate. Been there, done that.

2. The people who have not seen the previous discussions will not have the benefit of the content of past posts. Without knowing the history of the topic, they are likely to just post ideas/opinions/statements/etc. that have already been posted. There was a "new' topic a few months ago where one of the first responders cited an old thread on the topic. The original posted came back and basically said "that answered my questions and really covered the topic". That eliminated a lot of redundancy. As some say, history is the greatest teacher.

3. Unless the topic is about something that really is "right now", opinions posted now are not going to be much different than 6 months ago. If they are, adding them to an existing old post will indicate the change. An example of a "right now" topic is the current problems of the RV industry. There have been 2 new threads started in the past week about this. Personally, I don't know why the second of these could not have been just a post to the first thread. Now people have to decide which of these threads to respond to if they are interested in the topic. I had been considering starting a related (Anybody shopping for or recently bought a new RV in this down economy?) topic. If I add that question to one of the aforemention threads, I could have been accused of hi-jacking the topic. Yet, it is a fairly similar topic in general.

4. In general, I would think it is easier to browse through 100 different topics than 300 topics where 200 of them are more or less clones. More isn't necessarily better.

I have no problem with your suggestion but do believe that, in some cases, old threads have a lot to offer.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Jerry made some very good points, as did JJ and TXBobcat (Love your bobcat picture.), but I think they are actually talking about two different kinds of posts.

Some posts give information that is as valid now as it was some time ago. Jerry thinks (as do I) that it is valuable to keep these posts and refer back to them rather that repeat everything. However, looking at this from a new member's point of view I can see the problem. We now have so many topics it is almost impossible for new members to wade through them to see if something has already been discussed. It is just easier for them to start a new thread, and I don't blame them for that. Course as Jerry pointed out many advanced members (that means we’ve been around a long time) are quick to direct new members to older threads that cover the same topic or question. (I'm one who does this.) And also there is the search feature which lets new members (or anyone) search the forum to see if the topic has been discussed earlier. Personally I don’t think it hurts to add on to these threads even if they are old. It is almost like starting a new topic, but it allows members to see what has been said in the past.

Then there are the topics that give dated information. For example I have seen quite a few posts where someone says they are going to a certain place on a certain date. They ask for certain information and get some replies. Then months or even years after their travel date has come and gone someone adds a post with more suggestions. I think this is what TXBobcat was referring to. In this case I don’t think the thread should be added to. It’s over and done, and new information will not help the original poster.

Bottom line for me is I think all of us would welcome new topics and even new information on old topics, and it sounds like TXBobcat will have some to offer.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Mar 12 2009, 01:51 PM) [snapback]15466[/snapback]

Then there are the topics that give dated information. For example I have seen quite a few posts where someone says they are going to a certain place on a certain date. They ask for certain information and get some replies. Then months or even years after their travel date has come and gone someone adds a post with more suggestions. I think this is what TXBobcat was referring to. In this case I don’t think the post should be added to. It’s over and done, and new information will not help the original poster.

On other forums, sometimes the administrators "lock" the thread so no more posts can be made. This would be appropriate on "I'm going to Yellowstone in May of 2006..." and then after May 2006, stop any more posts. In 2009, we do not care that you wanted to go in May 2006. Unless someone ELSE wants to go to the same place and just posts because the thread existed.....But then again, having to "lock" threads might take up more time than the Forum Administrators want to spend.

JJ

6. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

TX,

You are right, I probably should have clarified my points by differentiating the numerous types of topic. I thought about it but decided there are so too many different kinds of topics to even try. I took the easy way out and used the word "some" (or similar phrasing) to show that I was not talking about all topics. I think one of best general topics where getting the historical perspective is important is the "How to review" category. How many times a year does something along those lines pop up? Even the old "I'm going to XXX - what should I do?" type questions can be helpful if XXX is Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, New England, etc. if the the information is no more than a year or two old. An old "I'm going to Ames, IA" thread, on the other hand, probably didn't get much response and could use an update. One popular category that probably needs constant updating and has many old postings that are no longer relevant is technology (WIFI, cell phone, GPS, Cable TV, etc.). A lot of the discussion in this area are old news, if not obsolete, in less than a year. See, this is why I didn't want to get into trying to explain the exceptions to my points. I start going blah, blah, blah... and find it hard to stop.

So, this time I will - hopefully not too late.

Jerry

7. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

Then there are the topics that give dated information. For example I have seen quite a few posts where someone says they are going to a certain place on a certain date. They ask for certain information and get some replies. Then months or even years after their travel date has come and gone someone adds a post with more suggestions. I think this is what TXBobcat was referring to. In this case I don’t think the thread should be added to. It’s over and done, and new information will not help the original poster.

Texasrvers & DXSMac
    Thank you for your responses. This is exactly what I was referring to.
    I have opened a few threads that when I open them up it was someone asking for information that would only help them at that time.. Like " I am going to such a place in June what is the roads like this time of year." The poster answers the question. The OP was in 2006 and the last poster answered in 2009. That brought the post to the top.

I don't mean to complain. Maybe suggest that reading the post before responding would be a good idea.

Jerry S
    I also agree with you. Posting to older threads that have relevent information that is not time dated. Like what is a suggested torque wrench to use, or how do you jack your trailer up, by the frame or axles, should you balance the tires on a trailer, and such. These all have great timeless information and someone might come up with something new on the topic that is an improvement. LIke how do you get bugs of the front of your RV.. I found Bounce Dryer sheets do a great job..

Thank you all for your responses. This is the heart of a forum.
    BC

8. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

Texasrvers
    Thanks on the flowers on the bobcat picture..
    I took it at Joshua Tree National Park in 2007. We were visiting a friend that was hosting in the park and this guy just walked across the road as we were driving by. When he crossed the road he walked a little ways and just sat down and looked around like, "if your going to take a picture you better hurry up, I don't have all day". I rolled down the window and took about 5 or 6 shots of him, then he just calmy walked away.

BTW, The Joshua Tree National Park is an unusual place. Might take it in if your in the area..
    http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

TXBobat,

We have not been to the Joshua Tree National Park in CA, but we have driven on the Joshua Tree Scenic Byway (Hyw 93 northwest of Phoenix) many times. Very strange but beautiful country.