Koa Williamsburg

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by popup6, Apr 30, 2007.

1. popup6

popup6
    Expand Collapse

We were planning on staying at the Virginia Beach KOA this summer, and hitting the beach and day tripping to Williamsburg, Jamestown ect but after reading all the reviews of the Virginia Beach KOA, we have opted to try the Williamsburg KOA. I see that the Williamsburg and Colonial KOA have merged and become one big campground. What I am looking for when I make my reservation soon is to know which side I should try and request. I would like the more rustic wooded sites with just water and electric, rather than the open field type site. Does anyone know which side of the park offers this.

2. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Popup: We stayed in the KOA several years ago when we visited Jamestown. It is a nice park, very manicured. We were in a pretty open (and not too private) area ...basically a grassy field with occasional trees in the interior and a few more around the perimeter. I'd research the other side if you want taller vegetation.

3. popup6

popup6
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MaineDon @ May 1 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]6981[/snapback]

Popup: We stayed in the KOA several years ago when we visited Jamestown. It is a nice park, very manicured. We were in a pretty open (and not too private) area ...basically a grassy field with occasional trees in the interior and a few more around the perimeter. I'd research the other side if you want taller vegetation.

which side the Colonial side or the Williamsburg side should I investigate? appreciate the help and info :) I want the woods and bugs and dirt.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

The two KOA's at Williamsburg, VA were the pits years ago and I do not think this has changes. The Anvil and Pottery are also bad. We used American Heritage RV Park. Everything around Williamsburg is old, RV parks and all. I will never understand this mind set.

5. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ May 3 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]6998[/snapback]

The two KOA's at Williamsburg, VA were the pits years ago and I do not think this has changes. The Anvil and Pottery are also bad. We used American Heritage RV Park. Everything around Williamsburg is old, RV parks and all. I will never understand this mind set.

It's a "colonial" town, John Blue, what do you expect, LOL!!! ;)

But, seriously, it's been awhile since we camped in Williamsburg and I believe we stayed at the Colonial KOA and it was nothing to brag about as I recall...your typical, run of the mill KOA.

On the occasions we go down into that area though our favorite campground to stay at is The Newport News Regional Park in Newport News, VA...it's a municipal park, but is awesome...only drawback is they have no sewer hookups, but if you can go without it, you're in for a real treat and what makes it nice is that you're only 25 miles from Williamsburg and 20 miles from Virginia Beach and only 12 miles to Norfolk.

Check out the reviews and their website for it under Newport News, VA.

6. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

We usually stay in Williamsburg a couple times a year. The KOA's are just ok.. nothing special but we stay at American Heritage too. I find it a better CG. We have stayed in Pottery factory as well and it is run down and they have stopped taking any care of the place. The Anvil has a train you can hear right next to your head.

7. popup6

popup6
    Expand Collapse

we are gold kard Koa-er's that's why we chose Williamsburg KOA over a private campground, and I was hoping after reading the reviews for Virginia Beach KOA that we would be better off in Williamsburg. The 15 percent discount comes in handy from the gold kard.
    The only time I ever ran into a dirty KOA was in Rapid City right after the Sturgess rally, that being the case I was disappointed to see so many bad reviews for Virginia Beach.

Any thoughts on which we might make out better with (Williamsburg Versus Virgina Beach)
    from anyone who has been to both.

8. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(popup6 @ May 5 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]7010[/snapback]

we are gold kard Koa-er's that's why we chose Williamsburg KOA over a private campground, and I was hoping after reading the reviews for Virginia Beach KOA that we would be better off in Williamsburg. The 15 percent discount comes in handy from the gold kard.
    The only time I ever ran into a dirty KOA was in Rapid City right after the Sturgess rally, that being the case I was disappointed to see so many bad reviews for Virginia Beach.

Any thoughts on which we might make out better with (Williamsburg Versus Virgina Beach)
    from anyone who has been to both.

Between the two, I'd choose Colonial Williamsburg over Virginia Beach...Virginia Beach's restrooms were really horrendous when we were there and the noise of the aircraft for some could be annoying, but I honestly got used to it and it didn't really bother me...it's not exactly something you get to see every day.

If cost is what you have in mind, you may want to consider First Landing State Park...you'd be paying 32.00 a night at First Landing and they're right on the water and you'd be paying at least 38.00 a night with your 15 percent discount at KOA...the same thing you may want to keep in mind with the Williamsburg versus the Newport News Regional Park...I didn't check out how much the current Williamsburg KOA prices are but the Newport News Regional Park fee is only $26.00 a night plus tax...which I think would still be a lot cheaper than your discount you would get at the KOA...just something for you to think about.

And, First Landing is really nice and is in the Northern part of Virginia Beach where you don't have the noise of the aircraft and like I said for $32.00 a night you're right on the bay/ocean.

9. popup6

popup6
    Expand Collapse

Now I am really confused, I just received my KOA newsletter, and Virginia Beach KOA is listed as a new campground in 2007, which leads me to believe it was sold and is under new ownership.
    So now what do I do??? Do I chance it????