Ladybug Infestation

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Feb 29, 2012.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

When I camp hosted at a park in Washington State (on the coast) last June, I ended up with a ladybug infestation. I took the lady bugs to Georgia with me, now I'm on my way back, in Tennessee and I still have the darn things.

From what I have read, ladybugs aren't a real problem, just a nuisance. They will eventually go away. But it's been EIGHT MONTHS! Sheesh! Well, I never saw any roaches in my RV so maybe the ladybugs kept the roaches away.

JJ (still fighting stiff fingers)

2. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Feb 29 2012, 09:23 PM) [snapback]28897[/snapback]

When I camp hosted at a park in Washington State (on the coast) last June, I ended up with a ladybug infestation. I took the lady bugs to Georgia with me, now I'm on my way back, in Tennessee and I still have the darn things.

From what I have read, ladybugs aren't a real problem, just a nuisance. They will eventually go away. But it's been EIGHT MONTHS! Sheesh! Well, I never saw any roaches in my RV so maybe the ladybugs kept the roaches away.

JJ (still fighting stiff fingers)

Did you know they sell Lady Bugs? How many you got.I think they get about ten dollars for 1500. :D :p

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

Good part is the bugs are harmless and like you said will die off soon. Enjoy the little things as long as you can before they die. Hope the hand will get better soon and if not off to see a doctor. They may have tricks or drugs to help you. Have a safe trip.

4. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Those darned ladybugs will find the strangest places to hibernate. At one campground in California I found a whole pile of them inside an electrical box so I had to be careful when I plugged in. Have a safe drive home. :)

5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Glenn Norton @ Feb 29 2012, 09:52 PM) [snapback]28900[/snapback]

Those darned ladybugs will find the strangest places to hibernate. At one campground in California I found a whole pile of them inside an electrical box so I had to be careful when I plugged in. Have a safe drive home. :)

Those lil critters are not lady bugs. They are beetles used in agriculture to eat aphids. They will be around a long long time. I use a dust buster to vacuum them up when I see some.

From the Farmers Almanac.

Where did all the ladybugs come from?

by Sandi Duncan | Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 | From: Farmers' Almanac Blog

Last week, we were dealing with very cold temperatures and even snow. Today it’s warm and sunny, but my house is being invaded by ladybugs!

From time to time, in the fall, we have many people write to us about the ladybugs that come out in the fall. Are they a sign of a harsh winter to come? Are they bringing good luck?

While you may have heard the superstition that ladybugs bring good luck, they don’t seem to have any weather predicting ability. There is no significance between the number of ladybugs and the upcoming winter forecast. Fall infestation of these beetles is definitely a sign of winter’s approach. As the temperatures begin to cool, these bugs love when a sunny day beckons to them to come out and soak up the rays. If it’s a warm autumn day, you may see tons of ladybugs on the sunniest side of your house.

In the fall as the nights cool down, the bugs gravitate to warm places during the days (soaking up the sun (rays) on your house). They will do anything or go any place for a bit of warmth. In fact, if there is a tiny opening around a window or door, they find their way in and seem to invite all of their relatives.

Bottom line – the ladybugs are getting the last bit of warmth and mean no harm. Ladybugs are friends of a garden. They feed on insect eggs, small worms, and other pests. They are not necessarily friends in homes. They can damage carpets and furniture with their secretions, and if your home is really infested, when they die they can be all over window sills throughout the house. Best way to get rid of them? Vaccuum.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

You can get an insecticide "bomb". You lock everything up, set off the bug in the middle of the floor and leave for 24 hours. I have used them on rental houses for fleas and they work. When you get back, just open up all of the windows and turn on the fans. Works every time.

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 1 2012, 09:45 AM) [snapback]28904[/snapback]

You can get an insecticide "bomb". You lock everything up, set off the bug in the middle of the floor and leave for 24 hours. I have used them on rental houses for fleas and they work. When you get back, just open up all of the windows and turn on the fans. Works every time.

Just make sure that all foods have been removed before using the "bomb"...............

8. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

We picked up an infestation of those things a few years ago on the Michigan UP. It was several months before they were all gone. I kept filling our hand-held vac with them.

At least they seemed uninterested in our food.

Remember: You won't have aphids in your rig for a while!

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Denali @ Mar 1 2012, 02:15 PM) [snapback]28909[/snapback]

Remember: You won't have aphids in your rig for a while!

I was in Georgia. I hope the ladybugs kept the roaches out of my RV!

JJ

10. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Mar 1 2012, 12:11 PM) [snapback]28908[/snapback]

Just make sure that all foods have been removed before using the "bomb"...............

And also that you have no open flames (pilot lights, etc). Every once in a while there is a news program about someone's house going kaplooey when they used bug bombs near open flames.

11. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

The only method that I've found successful is a rechargeable hand vacuum. At least it's easier than cleaning Love Bugs off the front of the rig.