Laurel Hill State Park, Somerset, Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by BBear, Mar 22, 2007.

1. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Just want to post some information about this park for those of you who may be considering camping there this coming Summer (2007)...the beach and picnic area once again will be CLOSED for the entire season. There will be no swimming available.

The beach and picnic area was closed all of last year's season for renovations and apparently they did not get done and therefore will be closed all of this year. :(

Camping will still be available.

2. FrankoG

FrankoG
    Expand Collapse

I was up there in Feb and there was allot of snow I'm sure that caused some delay, great park though love the fishing :)

3. Rag

Rag
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FrankoG @ Mar 26 2007, 11:58 PM) [snapback]6639[/snapback]

I was up there in Feb and there was allot of snow I'm sure that caused some delay, great park though love the fishing :)

FrankoG, I'm looking for lake fishing in Pa. You say Laurel Hill fishing is good? I'm very interesed in any info you could pass on. I presume that the beach problem does not deter fishing. Thanks, Rag

4. FrankoG

FrankoG
    Expand Collapse

Great Trout Fishing, There is also a creek thats runs from the lake if you like to stream fish. I know allot of lakes in Pa depending on what you are interested in. I don't swim much so the beach being closed doesn't bother me everything else in the park you can use I'm going there next week for the opening day of trout. another great lake to fish is lake arthur in mercer county you can fish for just about anything there, Great bass fishing :rolleyes: hope this is helpful, Feel Free to e-mail me if you need directions or any info FrankoG@comcast.net

FrankoG, I'm looking for lake fishing in Pa. You say Laurel Hill fishing is good? I'm very interesed in any info you could pass on. I presume that the beach problem does not deter fishing. Thanks, Rag
    [/quote]

5. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Frank, do you know if there is any other place on Laurel Hill Lake to launch a boat other than the one at the swimming beach?

Did you make it out to Laurel Hill for first day of trout? Geesh, any colder and you'd be ice fishing! ;)

6. FrankoG

FrankoG
    Expand Collapse

I think thats the only place to put the boat in, Fishing was good in the creek, I didn't fish the lake at all. we stayed in one of the cabins in the park They are kind of small But it deffinitly was better then a good day of work. Love the mountains.

Frank, do you know if there is any other place on Laurel Hill Lake to launch a boat other than the one at the swimming beach?

Did you make it out to Laurel Hill for first day of trout? Geesh, any colder and you'd be ice fishing! ;)
    [/quote]

7. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FrankoG @ Apr 16 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]6825[/snapback]

I think thats the only place to put the boat in, Fishing was good in the creek, I didn't fish the lake at all. we stayed in one of the cabins in the park They are kind of small But it deffinitly was better then a good day of work. Love the mountains.

Okay, thanks, Frank...I wasn't sure if there was or not, but thought I'd ask. What exactly are there cabins like? Are they like the "rustic" log cabins? I haven't got close enough to see them and that's where we were going to stay this summer in one of them until we heard no swimming.

Also, do you know Shawnee now has log cabins...they're the rustic kind no indoor plumbing or bathroom facilities, but they're really nice...a huge double bed with a single bunk above it and then a set of bunks...they also have a table and chairs inside. They're really nice...we stayed in one last summer...they also have yurts now, too.

8. FrankoG

FrankoG
    Expand Collapse

That's extactly how Laurel cabins are. Great for small family, but unfortinitly our friend decided to camp out so you know what happened! I squeezed 8 people in 5 person cabin LOL. The cabins are very clean and have a screened in porch and have electric. I think they could have made them a little bigger so you can have a table in the kitchen. I would like to stay in the lodge it looks very nice. I used to go to Parker dam they have great cabins, I think they also have a beach at the lake, you might want to try it out. It is in Dubious

Okay, thanks, Frank...I wasn't sure if there was or not, but thought I'd ask. What exactly are there cabins like? Are they like the "rustic" log cabins? I haven't got close enough to see them and that's where we were going to stay this summer in one of them until we heard no swimming.

Also, do you know Shawnee now has log cabins...they're the rustic kind no indoor plumbing or bathroom facilities, but they're really nice...a huge double bed with a single bunk above it and then a set of bunks...they also have a table and chairs inside. They're really nice...we stayed in one last summer...they also have yurts now, too.
    [/quote]

9. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FrankoG @ Apr 18 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]6870[/snapback]

That's extactly how Laurel cabins are. Great for small family, but unfortinitly our friend decided to camp out so you know what happened! I squeezed 8 people in 5 person cabin LOL. The cabins are very clean and have a screened in porch and have electric. I think they could have made them a little bigger so you can have a table in the kitchen. I would like to stay in the lodge it looks very nice. I used to go to Parker dam they have great cabins, I think they also have a beach at the lake, you might want to try it out. It is in Dubious

So, they're newer then? Someone told me they thought they were just some of the old Boy Scout cabins that were located over near the lodge and just moved to a new location...but I don't remember the old Scout cabins having screened porches on them...thanks for the info...we may still give them a try and then just go down to the Yoch swimming for the day.

I've heard of Parker Dam, but have never been there and I do believe you're right, they do have a beach for swimming.