Leveling The Camper

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Skymessenger, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

I got a 27ft Coachman Travel Trailer. Can someone suggest how is the best way to level the trailer when setting up at the camp site? I would like to get some idea on how you level your trailer when you set up. Thanks

2. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

3. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Skymessenger @ Apr 21 2010, 09:32 PM) [snapback]21719[/snapback]

I got a 27ft Coachman Travel Trailer. Can someone suggest how is the best way to level the trailer when setting up at the camp site? I would like to get some idea on how you level your trailer when you set up. Thanks

wow, not leveled a travel trailer in years.... but.... when I was a kid, dad had us kids do the work..

first, level the RV on a known level surface. Place a bullet level in the refrigerator and level the frame to the bullet level. After it is leveled, mount "fore/aft right/left" levels on the front of the RV so that they can easily be seen.

Once you reach the campground and select a site, pull into the site and see which side needs to be raised using the left/right level.

Camping World and other RV stores sell plastic pieces that you assemble that you drive up on. Dad had made ramps out of lumber that were long wedges. I made a similar ramp that I use with the motor home, that is a piece of scrap 8x8 and a 2x8 nailed to each side. Mine are 36 inches long - so that they would fit the storage bin.
    Put the ramp in front or behind the low side and raise the RV until the R/L level is OK.
    Chock the ramp.

Raise the front until you can unhook the hitch. Using the fore/aft level, adjust the jack until the RV is level.

If you use the Reese jacks, we used to lower the front, tighten the rear jack, raise the front, tighten the front jacks, lower the crank up jack until the weight was on the Reese jacks.

Now, the trailer was a solid platform.

Come to think of it, the last time I did this was in 1974 or so.... Now, with the motor home, I just push a button and the computer controlled jacks do the rest, and on a rare occasion. I have to get the wedges out.