Lights Out For One Hour Today At 8:00 Pm

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Mar 29, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Today is "Earth Hour" day. Everyone is supposed to turn out all lights at 8:00 PM for one hour tonight. So, is anyone participating?

If I were in my RV, I would just go to bed at 8:00 and I would be in compliance. However, at home, I have timers on my lights, they are just manually operated things that run off the electricity, and have same on/off times each day. It's a PITA to over-ride them. (The more expensive digital ones have "weekend" settings....).

Let's see, I don't think there is anything decent on TV at 8:00 PM on Saturday, so I can turn off the TV and read a book, oh wait, have to turn off the lights. Ok, candlelight......

JJ

2. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Mar 29 2008, 03:07 PM) [snapback]10951[/snapback]

Today is "Earth Hour" day.

It is? :unsure: ...good grief.
    8 pm: Is this a rolling black-out (california joke) or syncronization to one time-zone ?
    Lights only ?
    (Does the TV count as a light) ? Sigh...now I'm whining... :rolleyes:

OK...JJ, you sparked my curiosity. Soooo: I 'Googled' for more information.
    This would be the second annual Earth Lights Out hour.
    Goal: raise awareness of all the non-essential lights, etc.
    Those which are left on 24/7, like corporate skyscrapers. As well as those in our own simple abodes...

Sounds like a good excuse for an evening campfire and wine (or Guiness ) . ;)

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Mar 29 2008, 05:19 PM) [snapback]10953[/snapback]

It is? :unsure: ...good grief.
    8 pm: Is this a rolling black-out (california joke) or syncronization to one time-zone ?
    Lights only ?
    (Does the TV count as a light) ? Sigh...now I'm whining... :rolleyes:

OK...JJ, you sparked my curiosity. Soooo: I 'Googled' for more information.
    This would be the second annual Earth Lights Out hour.
    Goal: raise awareness of all the non-essential lights, etc.
    Those which are left on 24/7, like corporate skyscrapers. As well as those in our own simple abodes...

Sounds like a good excuse for an evening campfire and wine (or Guiness ) . ;)

I leave my exterior garage lights on 24/7, they are on a photoelectric and come on and off automatically in evening and morning respectively. I keep those on for safety. I hope my town doesn't turn off street lights, I consider those "safety essential." However, I have a bad habit of leaving lights on after I leave a room.

JJ

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Come on, JJ, you don't really believe that they are going to turn out the street lights! Then again, you did replace a perfectly good, low mileage, less than three year old RV, I thought you really liked, to solve your digital TV quandry. Good luck with the new rig.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Mar 29 2008, 07:29 PM) [snapback]10956[/snapback]

Come on, JJ, you don't really believe that they are going to turn out the street lights! Then again, you did replace a perfectly good, low mileage, less than three year old RV, I thought you really liked, to solve your digital TV quandry. Good luck with the new rig.

Jerry, you are right. I looked at the pictures this morning (AOL has quite a pictorial on it) and Chicago only turned out building lights, not street lights. I looked around where I live, and some people had turned out their lights, others didn't.

And yes, I agree with you, I was CRAZY to replace a perfectly good RV, only 2.5 years old, low mileage, and I really loved it, but it did solve my TV problem! Haven't picked it up yet....... I have an issue with my bike carrier that the dealer is working on. Long story.

JJ

6. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

In the infamous words of Dandy Don Meridith "Turn out the lights, the party is over."

Wonder if Al Gore thought this up? I guess I don't keep up with current events. I missed the info on earth day. I'll make up for it next year by doing in twice.

Just think how much could be saved if every large building was constructed such that lights were on timers and motion sensors at night when no one was in them.

7. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Mar 31 2008, 12:48 PM) [snapback]10983[/snapback]

In the infamous words of Dandy Don Meridith "Turn out the lights, the party is over."

Wonder if Al Gore thought this up? I guess I don't keep up with current events. I missed the info on earth day. I'll make up for it next year by doing in twice.

Just think how much could be saved if every large building was constructed such that lights were on timers and motion sensors at night when no one was in them.

You missed Earth Hour not Earth Day...that's April 22nd, now aren't you happy, LOL!!!

I agree with the timers on large buildings. And, unless I'm reading, I very rarely turn the lights on at night if I'm watching television or working at the computer...don't really see a need for them...enough light is exposed by the television and/or computer to see.

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Apr 1 2008, 04:11 PM) [snapback]11002[/snapback]

You missed Earth Hour not Earth Day...that's April 22nd, now aren't you happy, LOL!!!

I agree with the timers on large buildings. And, unless I'm reading, I very rarely turn the lights on at night if I'm watching television or working at the computer...don't really see a need for them...enough light is exposed by the television and/or computer to see.

BBear, where have you been? I'm still planning to go to PA this summer!

In my RV, I use less lights. But kind of hard to put timers on the kind of lights in the RV.

JJ

9. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 1 2008, 11:19 PM) [snapback]11010[/snapback]

BBear, where have you been? I'm still planning to go to PA this summer!

In my RV, I use less lights. But kind of hard to put timers on the kind of lights in the RV.

JJ

Hi DXSMac, I've been battling the flu for about the last two months. It just won't go away! I've never been so sick in my life...bleck! But, I'm feeling better now!!

I'm glad you're still planning your trip to PA....I'm sure it will be a journey of a lifetime for you!!!

This may sound strange, but when I was young and camped with my parents we had an Apache Pop-up which essentially was just two beds and nothing else...no electricity or anything and we used flashlights and lanterns inside the trailer and even when we got travel trailers and motorhomes for some reason the use of flashlights and lanterns continued even though we had electricity we could use for lights in the RV....just never really used them, LOL!

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Apr 1 2008, 03:11 PM) [snapback]11002[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I'm ecstatic. The aliens have taken over the planet!

11. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Apr 2 2008, 01:36 PM) [snapback]11017[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I'm ecstatic. The aliens have taken over the planet!

12. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Oh man...BBear and RLM... ;)
    My sentiments exactly.
    :p