Looking For Campground Suitable For Star-gazing Near Boston

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by New Daddy, Aug 21, 2012.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy
    Expand Collapse

I'm a camping novice, and the few camp sites my family has been to were located in a wooded area. A wooded area in and of itself is of course good for camping, as it provides shade and a habitat for birds and insects. But at the same time, the canopy they create hinders star-gazing at night.

So, I'm looking for a campground near Boston that is also suitable for star-gazing, preferably within a couple of hours of driving. I guess a nearby open field and absence of night pollution would be key to star gazing.

Any suggestions?

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

You can check for trees around the campsites by utilizing Google Earth, a free program. many campground websites now have links to their area right on their websites. They also have an address feature that will zoom right in by entering their address. With the street view feature, you can also get an idea depending on their location. You can also get Google Earth on a smart phone. As far as the night pollution, not sure of that, but further from the cities (lights) would be best of course.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Could try Indian Hollow, I would guess about 1 1/2 hrs west of boston.

Was there last year, has open field, I believe reservations are make by reserving either of the 2 open areas (not sites) one thing for sure there's no light pollution.

As Lindsay Richards said, try Google Earth, see if the campground works for you.

Mike

4. New Daddy

New Daddy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Aug 22 2012, 08:04 PM) [snapback]30760[/snapback]

Could try Indian Hollow, I would guess about 1 1/2 hrs west of boston.

Was there last year, has open field, I believe reservations are make by reserving either of the 2 open areas (not sites) one thing for sure there's no light pollution.

As Lindsay Richards said, try Google Earth, see if the campground works for you.

Mike

I checked out Indian Hollow on ReserveAmerica.com, but it looks like they only have group sites and no individual sites.