Louisiana Campground Lafayette Or Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Captain Justice, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Captain Justice

Captain Justice
    Expand Collapse

We are seeking a camping spot for a long weekend somewhere roughly in the area of Lafayette to Baton Rouge, near or within 25 miles or so of I-10. Prefer wilderness, quiet settings with hike and bike trails, maybe fishing. You know, nature stuff and don't really care about amenities like pools, bars, playgrounds.

This is for four adults (well, at least they pretend to be) in a 34 ft towable. Prefer full hookup but can manage without sewer as long as there is a dump station.

Have done many, many searches but am looking for contact with a human, not ET. :D

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Captain,

We have spend lots of time in LA and know the places very well. In Lafayette you have the KOA at Scott, LA next door to Lafayette on I-10 and truck noise 24 hrs a day plus high cost. Good places to find Cajun food. Next east of Baton Rouge (Cajun name Red Stick) you will find Tickfaw State Park near Springfield I-12 ext 32. This place is deep in the swamp, free of all noise, has 50 amps and water, free Wi-Fi that works fast, fishing lake with dock and full of gators, level pads to park on, lots of trees but non are in the way, large dump station, great bathhouse, trails to walk on, and the bad part, hard to get into on weekends. The Cajun people love to get out on weekends so plan to go on week days or have a reservation. Park has 64 sites and all are nice. Check reviews here under Springfield, LA for more information.

More nice parks east of this park as well. :)

3. Captain Justice

Captain Justice
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 7 2012, 09:37 AM) [snapback]30371[/snapback]

Captain,

We have spend lots of time in LA and know the places very well. In Lafayette you have the KOA at Scott, LA next door to Lafayette on I-10 and truck noise 24 hrs a day plus high cost. Good places to find Cajun food. Next east of Baton Rouge (Cajun name Red Stick) you will find Tickfaw State Park near Springfield I-12 ext 32. This place is deep in the swamp, free of all noise, has 50 amps and water, free Wi-Fi that works fast, fishing lake with dock and full of gators, level pads to park on, lots of trees but non are in the way, large dump station, great bathhouse, trails to walk on, and the bad part, hard to get into on weekends. The Cajun people love to get out on weekends so plan to go on week days or have a reservation. Park has 64 sites and all are nice. Check reviews here under Springfield, LA for more information.

More nice parks east of this park as well. :)

Great info, John. Thanks. Tickfaw is full for my date. :(

Any thoughts about Palmetto State Park or https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Louis....html#CGID12139 - Audubon? Audubon is a small private campground with good reviews on rvcampgroundreviews.com.

gil

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Captain,

We stay in Abbeville a lot but at Betty's and she is full most of the time. We have been to the state park off Hwy 83. South of Abbeville with gravel roads into the park. This park is also in a swamp as well. I think you would find it to be OK. Abbeville has a number of park, check this website to see all.

Next best state parks to me would be Fairview or Fortaine Bleau off Hwy 90 south of I-12. Lots of people go here as well.

5. ryjamsan

ryjamsan
    Expand Collapse

First anything east of baton rouge is not cajun
    Baton rouge is french for red stick

I suggest lake fausse state park 30 miles south of I 10 just east of lafayette

Also audubon state park is awesome and that area around st francisville has tons of stuff to see in fact if you want a nice country drive with little traffic after your stay in that area head east on la 10 to I 55. Its 40 miles of rolling hills and farmland with 3 cute little pre civil war towns, jackson , clinton and greensburg

As you head south on I 55 on your way back to I 12 stop in amite city nice little town 3 miles east of I 55

You didt list any dates but have fun and hoped this helps

6. Captain Justice

Captain Justice
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ryjamsan @ Aug 10 2012, 10:03 AM) [snapback]30481[/snapback]

First anything east of baton rouge is not cajun
    Baton rouge is french for red stick

I suggest lake fausse state park 30 miles south of I 10 just east of lafayette

Lake Fausse Pointe SP has come up several times. Will have to go there in the future -- it was booked up.
    Thanks to all for the many suggestions. We are going over a long Labor Day weekend and have reservations at Sam Houston Jones SP. Louisiana is entirely new territory for us.

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Captain,

Sam Houston Jones SP is a nice park but sites can be a problem here. Hookup's are right and wrong. Some power and water hookup's are on wrong side in far rear of site. Lots of sites are not level and others are OK. This park is like pot luck on sites. Park is in a swamp and very nice to walk around in.

8. ryjamsan

ryjamsan
    Expand Collapse

Fyi I drive a truck mostly from mobile al to lake charles la so we are talking about 80% of my loads along the I 10 and I 12 corridor

You picked a nice park in lake charles

However there is one more you may consider if its not to late
    Its called frenchmanwilderness and its 1 mile south of I 10 in the middle of the atchafalaya basin its at the same exit as the huge la rest area exit 121

Check it out on your way its for future reference or on your way back

They have a good website

Fyi I live in slidell and own a 1990 airstream land yatch 36' and spend my weekends at mcleod water park 5 miles north of I 10 at exit 13
    We plan to expand our trips but are doing the little fix ups that needs to be done just to make sure she is reliable
    I love it

Another park close to me is buccaneer state park if you prefer close to the beach

I also give any of you to contact me if your comming thru the area. We are new to rving and would love to spend time with some rvers and hear some tales