Marking Campgrounds On Maps

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Tom, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Is there some way for RVParkreviews to mark the location of reviewed campgrounds on the national and state maps? On many campground searching sites, markers will pop up depending on your zoom level showing locations of campgrounds. You click on the marker, and it takes you to the campground review (many which lead right to this site).

Is there some reason RVParkreviews doesn't have this feature? Or am I not seeing it for some reason?

The reason I am asking is I am looking for campgrounds in the Washington, D.C. area. It would be nice to just be able to just zoom in to that area and have reviewed campgrounds "popup".

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Tom,

See if this will work for you.

Go to USA map (home page) and pick a state, click on it.

This will open up a list of cities on left side and on right will be a map of the state with Blue dots.

Zoom in on map to the place to wish to go and see if a Blue dot is on map, if so click on dot.

This will pop up a city name, click on it and it will take you to the correct web link.

As soon as you get to the campground link you will see "View Map", click on it will take you down to site level with a pointer on road into campground if the map pin has been set and most have been.

This has been in place a long time now.

3. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

John, it works on my PC, I'm using Mozilla Firefox, but on my lap top with Internet Explorer the dots don't come up. Maybe he can't see them on his computer. I know they have been there awhile.

4. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Dec 1 2010, 08:01 AM) [snapback]24996[/snapback]

Zoom in on map to the place to wish to go and see if a Blue dot is on map, if so click on dot.

This will pop up a city name, click on it and it will take you to the correct web link.

That is precisely what I am looking for, but have never seen on RVParkreviews. I use Internet Explorer, and as far as I know my firewall and anti-virus are not blocking anything from this site.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(dog bone @ Dec 1 2010, 09:42 AM) [snapback]24997[/snapback]

John, it works on my PC, I'm using Mozilla Firefox, but on my lap top with Internet Explorer the dots don't come up. Maybe he can't see them on his computer. I know they have been there awhile.

This is correct. The same thing happens to me, and I don't think it has anything to do with firewalls or anti-virus. There are just some differences in IE and Firefox. Did you also know that if you write a post or review using Firefox it automatically checks your spelling? IE does not. I don't know why it is like this. It just is.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

My mistake over Firefox software. I only use Apple OSX and Firefox. Hard to remember other people do not use this nice software. Go to Google and download it (free). You may never use IE again. I have been using this system for years and never see any problems that other people have, a nice thing. Webmaster works off Apple systems as well and website software may be set up different than Wins but I do not know if this is the case. Lots of people write and ask for help and in all cases Firefox fixed the problems. Bottom line use what works the best.

7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Very nice! Thanks for the info. I downloaded Firefox very easily and will probably use this much more. I have also had problems on other travel sites where I couldn't print an itinerary until I used Firefox. This will make trip planning much easier!

8. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

The dots do tell you what town/area the campground is in but it is misleading when it comes to actual location. Is it supposed to mark the actual location or just general area? I just checked the dot where our CG is located and it narrows it down to a place in town but no where near us or the other rated CG in the area.

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

dalsgal,

It is my understanding (but someone can correct me) that the dots represent towns only. So if there are 3 or 4 RV parks listed in one town there is still only one dot, and it is probably placed near the center of town.

10. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

This information is correct. Click on the city name and that will take you to all campgrounds under that city name. Each campground has its only map "View on Map" to show you roads to it. If each campground had a Blue dot it would be hard to see FL on the map. :lol: