MASH's Radar

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Cheryl Fuller, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I found this interesting - we were just watching RV TV and they had a segment featuring Gary Burghoff who played Radar on MASH. He has been an avid RV'er for over 30 years. He spends a lot of his time at an RV park in Florida, where they even have a sign hanging on the office saying he is their resident celebrity.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl,

Yes, he was on TV around 20 years ago over his RV life. He likes the class A so he could look the truck drivers in the eye. I do not know what park he lives in now.

3. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

He stays at Nature Coast RV Park and Resort in Inglis, I looked at this site and it only has 1 review but it was a good one. I just found it interesting that someone who could probably live a glitzy life if they so chose, would realize what a wonderful world rv'ing is.

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl Fuller,
    Let me tell you of our experience when a celebrity was staying at a campground in the Lake Placid area. The celebrity was Barbara Mandrel. Upon registering we were informed that she was here to have her son attend the hockey camp in Lake Placid, and please don't bother the family. We had nothing in common with them, other than we were in the same campground and staying in an RV. They were not available to the public anyway. We saw her walking within the cg once, and they left the next day. So much for being a celebrity.

5. RVman3252

RVman3252
    Expand Collapse

Butch

I’m sure Barbara Mandrel is bombarded while traveling, but I will tell you from experience, I sold her some equipment shortly after her accident… and she is real down to earth and personable.

RVman

6. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

We camped across from Justise Thomas and his 40 foot Prevosts. Nice to see him and everyone just treated him like anyone else. Said hello when you walked by. I bet many did not know who he was though.

7. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

We just read in one of our rv magazines that Jeff Daniesl is an RV'er adn actually has a movie coming out in April starring him and Robin Williams called "RV'. It is a comedy - can't wait to see it.

8. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Feb 21 2006, 12:41 PM)
    We just read in one of our rv magazines that Jeff Daniesl is an RV'er adn actually has a movie coming out in April starring him and Robin Williams called "RV'. It is a comedy - can't wait to see it.
    [snapback]3545[/snapback]

I saw Jeff Daniels on one of the late night talks shows and he told a story of how he and his family were going RVing from their home in Michigan to Cooperstown, NY and stopped at a truck stop near Erie, PA and he and the kids got back in the motorhome and were driving down I-90 for a few minutes until he realized he left his wife back at the truck stop, LOL. He also wrote a song about it that's on his CD called "Recreational Vehicle"...also saw the "trailer" for the movie...looks absolutely hilarious!

9. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

BBear - he talked about the truckstop incident in the article. He said he was 20 miles down the road before he realized she wasn't in the motorhome. From my understanding, in the movie he plays an avid, almost fanatical rv'er and Robin William's family are newbies and he has decided to "train" them in the ways of the road. It is supposed to be released April 28th. We hardly ever go to the movies but think we will make an exception for this one...

10. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Feb 22 2006, 06:55 PM)
    BBear - he talked about the truckstop incident in the article. He said he was 20 miles down the road before he realized she wasn't in the motorhome. From my understanding, in the movie he plays an avid, almost fanatical rv'er and Robin William's family are newbies and he has decided to "train" them in the ways of the road. It is supposed to be released April 28th. We hardly ever go to the movies but think we will make an exception for this one...
    [snapback]3553[/snapback]

We haven't been to the movies in years, but we're definitely going to go see RV!

11. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

12. John Harrelson

John Harrelson
    Expand Collapse

Unless you are an old timer like me, you likely won't recognize this person.. But for those of you over 60, Tiny Little lives in our RV Park in Carson City, Nevada.

For you "youngsters" :) .. Tiny Little was the organ/piano player on the Lawrence Welk show many years ago.. He still has a hand in the "New" Lawrence Welk show that airs on the PBS channel..

But his main interest now-a-days is playing in a rock band.. and playing the poker machine in the RV park's office. He is a nice person but doesn't talk much..

John

13. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

So much for being a "celebrity". Without interaction with the public on a one to one bases, must be a lonely and uneventful life. Is his call, and maybe has had a bad experience in the past.

14. Doug and Cassi

Doug and Cassi
    Expand Collapse

I camped next to Ed McMahon (Here'ssssssssss Johnny) about 30 years ago at Carlsbad State Park. He borrowed some tent pegs from me. Very nice and cordial.

Unfortunately, he left after about three days. Other campers wouldn't leave him alone.

Yes, he does drink Budweiser.

Doug and Cassi

15. wandering palms

wandering palms
    Expand Collapse

We met Radar last November when the county named him the local celebrity. About 130 people showed up at the county park next to the one he stays at. He spent about three to four hours visiting and talking with everyone and was a really nice guy. Picture of the wife with Radar.[attachmentid=36]

Attached Files:

16. okiebug

okiebug
    Expand Collapse

I just found it interesting that someone who could probably live a glitzy life if they so chose, would realize what a wonderful world rv'ing is.

RVing isnt a "glitzy" life? :eek: ;) :D