Mi-fi Wireless Router

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by John Blue, May 10, 2009.

1. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

On May 17th Verizon will come out with a new Mi-Fi or wireless router the works off the 3-G system. You can have five laptops running off this system at same time. The cost is on the high side but over time I would think that will drop. See link for more information.

http://gizmodo.com/5243552/verizon-mifi-22...ith-a-hefty-fee

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,

I love my wireless internet!

Sprint will be releasing a similar Mifi unit in June.

I still prefer the idea of a wireless router such as the cradlepoint line. My reasons are that they can be used with almost any system--the big V, Sprint, ATT, Bell Canada and etc. The Mifi is "tuned" to only one company, and can't be changed I suspect.

QUOTE(John Blue @ May 10 2009, 11:18 AM) [snapback]16313[/snapback]

On May 17th Verizon will come out with a new Mi-Fi or wireless router the works off the 3-G system. You can have five laptops running off this system at same time. The cost is on the high side but over time I would think that will drop. See link for more information.

3. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ May 10 2009, 11:32 AM) [snapback]16314[/snapback]

Hi John,

I love my wireless internet!

Sprint will be releasing a similar Mifi unit in June.

I still prefer the idea of a wireless router such as the cradlepoint line. My reasons are that they can be used with almost any system--the big V, Sprint, ATT, Bell Canada and etc. The Mifi is "tuned" to only one company, and can't be changed I suspect.

Tell us more about Cradlepoint. In particular, since it seems to need to be tethered to your cell phone, does that mean you will using minutes or some other charge particularly if you run it during peak hours? Also, since the user will presumably be using the system only with the system he subscribes to anyway, what difference does it make if he could theoretically use it on others? The strength of the MiFi, it seems to me, is that you get the service 24/7 for the monthly fee, and you can use it at home in place of DSL/cable if you want to and avoid that cost. Also it's highly portable on the road, e.g. when flying.

4. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ May 10 2009, 10:18 AM) [snapback]16313[/snapback]

The MiFi should appeal to folks who value simplicity over functionality.

It requires the same $59.99/month data plan for 5 GB as do all the other dedicated Verizon data devices. It can be used only with Verizon. It has no provision for an external antenna. It is less expensive than the easy alternative: a USB modem and compatible WiFi router.

Here's an excellent review of the MiFi: MiFi The MiFi is available from those folks for $59.99, much cheaper than from Verizon.

Personally, I like the Cradlepoint router and USB modem combo that we have, but it costs substantially more. Another alternative is to buy a Cradlepoint router and tether your compatible cell phone to it. That costs only $49.99/month for the data service, and you can turn the service off and on as you need to; you aren't locked in to a two-year contract.

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Jan-n-john,

If you sign up for a data connection on your cell phone it does not use minutes from your plan. For information about evdo, cradlepoint and other data questions try this link:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/

The Mifi is easily the weakest and least flexible way to have portable internet.

A usb cellular modem (sometimes called an "air card") will give much better functionality for the same monthly fee, the purchase price is lower, it doesn't require recharging as it runs from the power on the usb port, and the "foot print" is smaller. The Mifi's single advantage is that it doesn't plug into a usb port.

The Cradlepoint router can be used with all the various cell phone companies. The Mifi "locks" you into just one company, and if the technology changes it will be an expensive piece of plastic.

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ May 23 2009, 10:55 AM) [snapback]16533[/snapback]

Tell us more about Cradlepoint. In particular, since it seems to need to be tethered to your cell phone, does that mean you will using minutes or some other charge particularly if you run it during peak hours? Also, since the user will presumably be using the system only with the system he subscribes to anyway, what difference does it make if he could theoretically use it on others? The strength of the MiFi, it seems to me, is that you get the service 24/7 for the monthly fee, and you can use it at home in place of DSL/cable if you want to and avoid that cost. Also it's highly portable on the road, e.g. when flying.