midwest parks

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by bbcaao, Aug 8, 2005.

1. bbcaao

bbcaao
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking for a park that's within 3-4 hours of Chicago (I live in the western suburbs). We would like a pool, maybe close to some hiking trails, a place for the kids to bike. Something that has the option of tent camping, RV hookups, and maybe even cabins for rent. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. pmiesbauer

pmiesbauer
    Expand Collapse

One of my favorite parks in Northern IL is Morrison-Rockwood. It does not have a pool, but does have a lake. I didn't know if there is swimming, but there is boat rentals, fishing, a restaurant, very wooded campground with paved roads, and electric at every site. Being a state park, it also has lots of hiking trails. The campground does fill up for the weekends and there are no reservations allowed; so plan on going on Wednesday nite or Thursday in order to ensure a site.

Peter

3. montana

montana
    Expand Collapse

Explore Starved Rock State Park. You won't be disappointed. Lot's of trails. No pool though.

4. tonya418n12

tonya418n12
    Expand Collapse

I would suggest Turkey Run State Park (Indiana). I'll bet it would only take you about 2 hours or so to get there from the Chicago area.
    [​IMG]

There's great camping... lots and lots of hiking trails, a swimming pool, cabins, an Inn, canoeing, etc... it's a great place to go!

5. HDChrome

HDChrome
    Expand Collapse

You may want to check out Potato Creek State Park in Indiana. It's at the Notre Dame exit. Its huge! Alot to do there. It gets booked up quickly though. The downside is navigating the tollway repairs going on at the Indiana/Illlinios border. We are believing this will an ongoing lifetime project!!