Military RV sites

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by The Christophers, Aug 17, 2003.

1. The Christophers

The Christophers
    Expand Collapse

Hi there! New full timers here wanting to know if anyone has had any experience with either Ft. Huachuca, AZ or 29 Palms, CA? Would appreciate hearing the good, bad and ugly about the places! Many thanks in advance.
    Bill and Jonnie Christopher and one Old Goldie named Sammi

2. Ohio-jayco-popup

Ohio-jayco-popup
    Expand Collapse

The military is starting to catch on to the camping trend. almost all of the larger posts and bases have a camping section. I have stayed at a couple army forts in the past couple of years. There rates are based on your rank, however they are still alot cheaper than neighboring campgrounds in the areas. They are also one of the best un-known secrets. For the most part they are hit or miss as far as hook-ups are concerned. They are perfect if your in a self contained unit.
    For example in June 2003 my wife and I traveled to the VA Beach area. We stopped at the closest cg to the beach. All of the sites were full, but they offered to let us park in the overflow area at the normal rate of $45. The cg is right next to Ft.Story. We went to there and were able to get a full hook-up site for $15 a day. The fort has two private beaches that are connected to the north side of VA beach. At peak times the hotels cost $150 a night along the beach. The army has a hotel at FT. Story that will save you about 50% of that.( but it depends on your rank or status). This is a system that will give the lower ranking people the best value.
    If there are any military campers, active, reserves, national gaurd,or retirees out there you should take note of this option. The military has a web site under MWR( moral welfare and recreation). look it up. It saved me $200 or that trip alone, and we stayed 2 extra days. Happy camping and thank you for your service. SGT S :)