Monthly Gueat

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by pebble, Jul 6, 2011.

1. pebble

pebble
    Expand Collapse

:lol: why do so many people complain about canpgrounds with long term guest? I have stayed in very few that did not accept them. is it the quanity or quality?

2. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

I think you are confusing "monthly" (several months) with semi-permanent. Those of us who are monthly patrons do so because it is less expensive and we like the place we are staying. I for example, stay in one place from one to three months. I'm gone for the summer and then return home. The semi-permanent residents, or even permanent ones, sometimes have a negative connotation because they are often brought up with comments regarding the age of their rigs, the garbage around their rig, etc. More often than not it is a bum rap, but you seem to read about it all the time. Where I am currently, the back row in the park, about 15 sites, is composed of semi/permanent residents. While many of their rigs are old, there is nothing untidy about their sites.

3. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

Although people who submit reviews sometimes complain about "fulltimers" or "seasonals" in parks, I think they are actually objecting to permanent residents.

Traveling RVers generally want to be among other traveling RVers, not among folks who are still working for a living. They want to stay in an RV park, not a trailer park. They want a "vacation" ambiance.

4. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

I live in a tourist area south of Daytona.Some are OK and some are dumps just like any where else or in a neighborhood. :rolleyes:

5. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

In our experience, RV parks that have a predominance of near permanent residents present two issues. The first is that, unless there are strict rules and enforcement, permanents tend to accumulate stuff outside, including appliances, several vehicles, etc.,and many times the stuff is old and rusty and haphazardly placed on the site. The second is that in parks with a lot of permanent residents the long timers seem to resent the intrusion of transients. When we stay for a month, we interfere with their routines. We even had a woman tell us that Tuesday was her wash day and she did not appreciate us using the laundry. RV parks full of permanents seem to have the highest number of dogs on the loose and unsupervised children running rampant. We are in a mostly seasonal park now (for 2 months) and it has none of the issues above. We also stay in another park where most of the residents are there for long term construction work and have no issues.

6. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Jul 8 2011, 02:08 PM) [snapback]26715[/snapback]

In our experience, RV parks that have a predominance of near permanent residents present two issues. The first is that, unless there are strict rules and enforcement, permanents tend to accumulate stuff outside, including appliances, several vehicles, etc.,and many times the stuff is old and rusty and haphazardly placed on the site. The second is that in parks with a lot of permanent residents the long timers seem to resent the intrusion of transients. When we stay for a month, we interfere with their routines. We even had a woman tell us that Tuesday was her wash day and she did not appreciate us using the laundry. RV parks full of permanents seem to have the highest number of dogs on the loose and unsupervised children running rampant. We are in a mostly seasonal park now (for 2 months) and it has none of the issues above. We also stay in another park where most of the residents are there for long term construction work and have no issues.

I have been in parks like that. The one I manage is not one of those. Almost all the rigs here are permanent but you would never know it. We do not allow things to be stored under or around campers, two vehicles per site, pets must be on leashes. We have rules and I, known as the Warden, make certain they are followed. We expect everyone here to treat others with respect and consideration. I cannot imagine any campground, or campers, not being willing to treat others the way they would want to be treated.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Wow, your campground has a Warden?

8. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

LOL That's one of my names. My name is Cat if you follow the rules and Bobcat if you break them. Those are the printable names that I get called for making sure the rules are followed.

9. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Jul 8 2011, 06:14 PM) [snapback]26718[/snapback]

LOL That's one of my names. My name is Cat if you follow the rules and Bobcat if you break them. Those are the printable names that I get called for making sure the rules are followed.

I am sure there has been other names when having to play Bobcat :D :p

10. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Wink, yes there are but I wasn't allowed to print them on here....fortunately. I don't like being the bad guy but the rules apply to everyone and there is always one that thinks they just apply to everyone but them.

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

My wife would be a good warden. She is able to get things done without saying anything. I know her various looks. When we had that problem with the neighbor stealing our 50 amp, she took over and made the campground "warden" do the right thing. Here in Florida, we have a lot of permanent type campers that that could never be moved. Generally these folks are pretty nice, just very low income people. When we take a walk, we talk to them sometimes and generally they seem lonely.

12. grim509

grim509
    Expand Collapse

I've been to many parks with "seasonal" or "permanent" residents. It seems to depend on the park what that really means. I've been to some where those folks get free reign to do as they wish, break rules, treat vacationers like dirt, etc. But I've also been to plenty of parks where the seasonal and permanent folks were great and really helpful, from helping set up to giving inside info on the local area. Up in the Poconos in PA, one resident camper told us not to shop at the grocery store on the main street in town because they jack up the prices, but to use this other mom n' pop store, where the locals shop and the prices are MUCH cheaper.

If the permanent or seasonal folks fit into one of those categories, I make mention of it in my reviews.

13. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pebble @ Jul 6 2011, 10:02 PM) [snapback]26695[/snapback]

:lol: why do so many people complain about canpgrounds with long term guest? I have stayed in very few that did not accept them. is it the quanity or quality?

I usually spend 3 to 4 months during the winter in Florida and in this place there are full timer/seasonal and vacation ( 1 or 2 or 3 weeks) timers ;) all respectable people with the rig in reasonable conditions. B) There was one unit that was some what messy and the administration did warn them that if they didn't make up their act and keep clean the property , they will not renew the next year contract. :ph34r:
    I think the onus is with the administration whether or not to accept real run down units and maintain a certain standard all over the camp. :rolleyes:
    I have to give credit to our administration since, in general, march and April we have often wild weekenders but a couple of times I saw the security guard to put them out the property in a matter of hours. :lol:
    In final analysis, I am of the opinion that if you spend one or more months at the same place, it is better to choose a little bit higher level and pay more in order to have people who’s abiding rules and when they don’t the administration kick them out in a matter of hours :eek: