More Personal Chat Than General???

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by jmo, Feb 17, 2007.

1. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

I'll take a stab at starting something"chattable".

How many of you take occasional weekends/time away without the spouse ,sig other, family?

Like a girls weekend, guys weekend, or on your own?

Kate

2. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Hard for us to do being we are full timers. Jean goes and stays with her daught for a few days while we are in Florida , if that counts.

3. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Yes, Ben if its away from day-day and Jean enjoys ... it counts :)

Interesting point about fulltiming...would be hard.

Maybe I should add day trips too. I took a day trip once from a campground in SC to gamble. Fun group but lost so never went back. Ed's idea of enjoying my camping absense is book, beer, TV. But he does like his real life pub chat room at home.

Kate

4. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

Well let's see I go on :boys weekend" camping trips with my son sometimes, sometimes it's him & some of his friends, & once or twice I go by myself. So It does happen 8-9 times a year. On the boy's weekend We take our dog also so the wife gets a weekend to do whatever she wants to do.I have my fun camping and she get's a couple of days to her self. Seeing she works from the house she does take the weekend to play with her friends. So altough she's not home she's having fun without us. But where she grew up camping every weekend april thru october. It's not always what she wants to do & I however never grew up camping but It's something I've always wanted to do and enjoy my"time" time with my son & our "time" as a family. It's amazing the memories we have made so far and the ones that still await us......Happy Trails.

5. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if going in for service counts. My wife has taken the Born Free to visit the Grandkids by herself I have taken the MH to service my myself. Not much else done apart as we both love to go any chance we can.

6. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

No women members comments?

A lot depends on stage in life too. G'parents, parents, age of children.

We do take time away with friends and have all our working/married life. My husband has always been supportive and taken well deserved buddy breaks too. My kids never skipped a beat. Not retired officially yet but doubt it will change. We travel mostly together and enjoy that best.

Kate

7. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Kate, that is something that I just don't enjoy. Even though we have been married almost 30 yrs., we never spend time apart, other than when he is at the office. My friends know that I won't go out to dinner or "girls night out". We get together for lunch and shopping during the day when hubby is at work. I went on a couple of women's retreats which were 2 nights each, with the ladies group at church, and I just really didn't like being away from him. He travels about twice a year on business and we spend a lot of time on the phone with each other when he is away, usually for 2 or 3 days. My grandparents were always together and I remember asking grandpa why they went everywhere together and he said if he didn't take her with him, he had to kiss her goodbye. Maybe that is Greg's reasoning......

8. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it was raising 4 boys :p

Thanks for sharing,

Kate

9. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, we're another couple that have never spent time apart other than for work purposes. We've built our 35 years of happy marriage on the fact that we love each other's company... but I know of many others who enjoy going away seperately - not us!

10. sparkplugrandy

sparkplugrandy
    Expand Collapse

after 32yrs (this year) we are still best friends and are apart only when working.

11. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Well we chatted ;)

What brought the subject to mind was Cheryl's post about more chatting and I was planning to go away for a weekend.

Took a longtime girlfriend with me down to a seasonal we just got as she hadn't seen it. Its only 2 hours away and Ed was teaching most of weekend. We shopped and strolled in quaint, historic area of this neat small town, then went to dinner. Had popcorn at home and watched a movie, laughed about old times. Invited recently widowed (young too) neighbor down by herself over for a glass of wine and turned out she and my friend grew up in the same town in NJ. Very enjoyable girls weekend.

Kate

12. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Kate, glad you had a relaxing and enjoyable weekend away. When we get together with our friends from TX, the guys are usually off doing ATV'ing or something and my friend and I really enjoy watching old movies. We really like the oldies with stars like Cary Grant, Doris Day, or Fred Astaire in them - the ones our hubbies won't watch!!!

13. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I think the "going together" versus "going alone" thing relates to age and the way you were brought up. Older folks generally do everything together while younger folks sometimes want to get away. I think it depends on the couple. My daughter loves to get away occasionally by her lonesome--she just returned from two weeks alone on Norfolk Island in the Pacific (the place where Fletcher Christian went after the mutity on the Bounty), and, last year, she spend a week by her self in Vanautu, a third-world country in a group of Islands, also in the Pacific. She had a ball and loved every minute of it. I haven't heard her husband make any comment as to whether he agreed or not.

14. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

BeastDriver, I think you are right on the money about that. We are always together but both of our sons are totally different. My D-I-L has gone off to Vegas with her friends and my younger son, thou not married, but almost, said it would drive him crazy to have a marriage like ours because he wants his "space"....

15. duchessofall

duchessofall
    Expand Collapse

I am the mother of 2 boys and a husband--which actually makes 3 boys. I LOVE getting away with the girls for a weekend here and there. Or if we can't do a weekend, we generally do a day away.

Plus it's great for the boys (ages 10, 9) to get to have boy time with their daddy. They live in their underwear, stay up till all hours and order pizza. Great memories for them and a break for me!

Kathy

16. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Yippee B) at 62 I'm doing something that put's me in the "younger folks" column ;)

Made my day :)

Independent Kate

17. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We do everything together all the time. We eat, sleep, work, paint, do repair work, play, travel in the MH, travel around the world, travel around the USA, all together. We do go out with friends to eat and play and couple times Sue has goes off for couple nights. In my old job I was in air planes or in meeting some place a lot and she could not travel due to kid in school. In summer months we all went to Chicago. My job was to help set up and test new telephone equipment for GTE from our plant. She spend months in town and we all went every place together. We plan to keep this up as best that I can tell. More places to see and lots more places to go yet. It has been all fun so far. :p

18. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jmo @ Feb 17 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]6130[/snapback]

I'll take a stab at starting something"chattable".

How many of you take occasional weekends/time away without the spouse ,sig other, family?

Like a girls weekend, guys weekend, or on your own?

Kate

LOL. I was reading in the Craigslist Personals recently and came across a swingers group LOL that would meet and use the motorhome as a "LOVE-SHACK" on wheels. Thought to myself, well, at least it's cleaner and more sanitary then hotel rooms.... Swingerlifestyle.com

19. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree with almost everyone else, after 26 years we still do pretty much everything together. She will go once a year to Kansas to her sisters house and be a nanny for a week to our niece and nephew but always says she can't wait to get home. I'll go fishing for the day the but I still prefer to have her by my side always, 26 years and she's still my best friend. Our kids are like everyone elses, they like to get away for a little while but I think you guy's are right it's a new generation.

Just my opinion...

20. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

My bride of 47 years and I do everything together and go everywhere together. I spent 30 years travelling alone, averaging 300,000 air miles per year, and weeks upon weeks in motel rooms. Now we're making up for it. Leaving home without her is like walking out the door without my shoes. Sometimes, however, I think she wishes I would go on the road again!