Moving into an old RV - 30 amp and electric water heater

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LeeRyan, Sep 20, 2023.

1. LeeRyan

LeeRyan
    Expand Collapse

Hello there,

I was trying to determine if there are any options out there for an electric water heater that is plugged in. The tank in the RV is only 6 gallons and I am quite sure the wife is going to give me hell for not being able to get the soap out of her hair. The issue is the RV runs on 30 amp and the more I read the more problems I find with this setup. I was hoping for a simple plug in the bathroom wall solution for heating the shower water. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. LeeRyan

LeeRyan
    Expand Collapse

I was also reading that running more than one big appliance on a 30 amp system can cause the fuse to blow. Is this talking about boondocking or hooked up at a full hookup site?

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The easiest fix (maybe) would be for your wife to learn the navy based showering technique that millions of other folks have found works well for extending the limited hot water for a comfortable shower and hair rinse. The basic concept is to simply run the water initially just long enough to get wet, and then soap up and scrub before turning the water back on to rinse off. A long soak in the hot water is not recommended except after you're done washing and you can let it run as long as the remaining hot water lasts.

As far as the 30 amp service, yes, only one major appliance at a time is the general rule, and that's when hooked up in a campground with electric service. When boondocking, you're restricted to the capacity of your batteries or generator if equipped.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. LeeRyan

LeeRyan
    Expand Collapse

LOL big "Maybe" there. Thanks for the info!

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

You could look into upgrading to a 10gal RV water heater, but this might require removing part ofva cabinet, andcre-routing gas lines and electric. otherwise, Dutch has good advice regarding navy showers. Ive taken them in 3 different motorhomes, and never seem to have a problem running out of hot water.

NYDutch likes this.
  6. LeeRyan

LeeRyan
    Expand Collapse

I think we are going to look into upgrading to a tankless heater using propane and simultaneously upgrade the water pump. I cant see any issues with this other than worrying about the 50 gallon grey water tank every day but i suppose it will keep the black water tank and hose nice and empty. Its an RV so...There will be issues lol. Also, all my navy showers were in decon using ocean water on the wet side amphibious base. IDK about these navy showers with hot water; what are those?!

Definitely would like to hear about any potential problems I could run into attempting this tankless conversion. I am learning as I go and I am brand new to this!

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

One thing you'll see if you visit a number of RV parks with full and long time RV'rs is the large number of women with "pixie" or similar short hair styles. It took my wife about 3 months on the road when we first started long timing before we went fulltime to decide she wanted a pixie cut.

LeeRyan likes this.