My Biggest Pet Peeve!!

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by jannie5, Jul 25, 2008.

1. jannie5

jannie5
    Expand Collapse

We're getting ready to explore a state (we love to dry camp). I go to the National Forest Service website and they don't give you a length limit for rv's.... I want to know if the forest road is paved or gravel.... I do have a great site that I can find more information on but why can't the Forest Service do it's job when giving out information. Right now I'm researching Idaho and Iv'e collected lots of info on campgrounds but the vital info on length limits or if we need a 4x4 to get to the campground isn't included. I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! Thanks for letting me vent!! By the way here's a good site for all of you campground lovers:

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jannie5 @ Jul 25 2008, 11:16 AM) [snapback]12437[/snapback]

We're getting ready to explore a state (we love to dry camp). I go to the National Forest Service website and they don't give you a length limit for rv's.... I want to know if the forest road is paved or gravel.... I do have a great site that I can find more information on but why can't the Forest Service do it's job when giving out information. Right now I'm researching Idaho and Iv'e collected lots of info on campgrounds but the vital info on length limits or if we need a 4x4 to get to the campground isn't included. I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! Thanks for letting me vent!! By the way here's a good site for all of you campground lovers:

I've only seen campgrounds in the West, can't speak for Forest Service campgrounds in the East. The ones in the West, you won't get paved roads.

JJ

3. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jannie5 @ Jul 25 2008, 02:16 PM) [snapback]12437[/snapback]

I'd just call and inquire what the length limits are and the other questions you may have. I certainly wouldn't say the Forest Service is not doing their job by not listing such information.

4. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jannie5 @ Jul 25 2008, 10:16 AM) [snapback]12437[/snapback]

I spend a lot of time in the western states and can not think of any National Forest Roads that are paved. It looks like you have a 31 ft. camper and that shouldn't present a problem either. In any of the mountain areas , a change in weather could dictate the need for 4X4.

5. jannie5

jannie5
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys, We have a 38' diesel pusher so it is a major concern of ours not to get into trouble on any of the roads or even in the campground. I have also called the different ranger districts to get information. Sometimes I get an answer from them and sometimes I don't. I feel as though I shouldn't have to call the Forest Service on some questions. I don't think I'm out of line expecting them to put the RV length limit on their website. If they can take the time to put pictures of the campground on the site I think they could post the length limit too. But, then maybe they would have to go to the campground and measure some of the aprons. Thanks for your input. By the way we're in Idaho and some of their forest roads are paved but not all of them. It's the pot holes we're concerned about.

6. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jannie5 @ Jul 27 2008, 05:50 PM) [snapback]12496[/snapback]

Thanks guys, We have a 38' diesel pusher so it is a major concern of ours not to get into trouble on any of the roads or even in the campground. I have also called the different ranger districts to get information. Sometimes I get an answer from them and sometimes I don't. I feel as though I shouldn't have to call the Forest Service on some questions. I don't think I'm out of line expecting them to put the RV length limit on their website. If they can take the time to put pictures of the campground on the site I think they could post the length limit too. But, then maybe they would have to go to the campground and measure some of the aprons. Thanks for your input. By the way we're in Idaho and some of their forest roads are paved but not all of them. It's the pot holes we're concerned about.

Maybe they don't publish the imformation because most don't require it, or ask for it.

7. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Jul 28 2008, 02:38 AM) [snapback]12509[/snapback]

Maybe they don't publish the imformation because most don't require it, or ask for it.

Bingo! My thoughts exactly. :)

8. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Jul 28 2008, 07:26 AM) [snapback]12513[/snapback]

Bingo! My thoughts exactly. :)

I will agree on that one as well as a lot of them do not put out that info because of the prices they charge and because if you go to reserve america which handles most all the forest service campgrounds they have that info available to you.
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/?topTabIndex=Home