Myrtle Beach Bound

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CAMPIN' KEN K, Mar 19, 2005.

1. CAMPIN' KEN K

CAMPIN' KEN K
    Expand Collapse

Please bear with me, I'm new to Forums and not that great on navigating and responding but here goes....

The family and I are going down to Myrtle Beach this summer. 3 boys ages 17,15 and 10. Does anyone have good or bad info on some of the campgrounds in the area?

Also, any suggested activities for the family. This is our first trip to the area.

Thanks!

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Ken:

We've stayed at them all in the Myrtle Beach area and our favorite is not in Myrtle Beach but in a place call Longs, South Carolina, just west of North Myrtle Beach. The name of the RV Park is Willowtree. It is not on the beach, but is within a short drive to the beach, is new, and offers all kinds of things for kids to do. Check it out under Longs, SC, in the RV Park Reviews section of this website. :D

3. CAMPIN' KEN K

CAMPIN' KEN K
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback Beastdriver. I'll check it out. We were considering Pirate Land. How does this stack up to the others?

Any suggestions on things for the family?

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Here is a direct link to the reviews page for Myrtle Beach. Just click on it.

http://campgroundreviews.com/South_Carolina.html#Myrtle_Beach

We have stayed at Lakewood and Myrtle Beach Travel park. Both are nice. The 3 parks at lower Myrtle beach seem tto be pretty similar (Pirateland, Lakewood, Ocean lakes). The Travel Park is North Myrtle Beach. They don't have the "traffic" in the park that the other 3 have - not a lot of golf carts. They all have their own beach - same sand and water. There are many activities in Myrtle Beach, mini golf (hundreds of courses), several waterparks, 2 "amusement" parks, go-carts, Ripley's, deep sea fishing parasailing, dinner shows, and much more. Have a great time and don't forget the sunscreen.

5. CAMPIN' KEN K

CAMPIN' KEN K
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the detail Cheryl. What did you think of Lakewood? We were also considering that CG.

If anyone has any info on Pirateland I would love to hear it!

Thanks again.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

It is a nice campground. We stayed there eveytime we went until last year. We had planned on going out west, but unforeseen circumstances dictated that we stay closer to home. When I called for a site, they were full. The only place that had anything was the Myrtle Beach Travel Park. Lakewood has 2 nice pools (one indoor) and planned activities like 3 on 3 basketball tournaments. The downside is the unbelievable amount of golfcarts. And they do not enforce the driving age requirement. The employees have always been nice. It is a clean and well maintained campground. The beach is pretty. They try to keep it clean. Well as clean as sand can be anyway. :lol:
    The Travel Park is pretty much the same except for the golf carts. They do not rent them. The few that were there were personal owned. We have never stayed at Pirateland, but have walked on it's beach. It didn't seem to be a well kept. The lifeguards(all beaches) rent beach umbrellas and chairs by the day and the week. If you take your own, you might want to go fairly early to get a good spot.

7. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Ken:

You asked about Pirateland and Lakewood in Myrtle Beach. If you will go to the RV Park Reviews section of this website, you will find nine reviews of Pirateland and eleven reviews of Lakewood. It is difficult to compare these two parks to Longs. If you have children who insist on being right on the beach and you are willing to put up with the zoo, then either of these would be okay. On the other hand, if you are going for a quality time where kids can bike, swim, boat, fish, ride golf carts, explore, etc., with an occasional drive (15 minutes) to the beach, then Willowtree in Longs is the best. :D

8. rvtech

rvtech
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at Myrtle Beach often, in fact are going over in May. We prefer either Lakewood, Ocean Lake, or Myrtle Beach Travel Park. We have stayed at Pirateland, but found it to be less well maintained than the aforementioned. They also seemed to have a number of teens working without supervision, who appeared to be more invested in interacting with other teens than tending to their jobs.

Overall, not a horrible experience, but we aren't likely to go back. The single thing that we did not care for at Lakewood was that they charged our credit card for the entire length of our stay months in advance, whereas Ocean Lake only charges a $50.00 deposit prior to arrival.

9. CAMPIN' KEN K

CAMPIN' KEN K
    Expand Collapse

Thanks very much for the input rvtech and everyone else. I guess availability may be one of the deciding factors at this point.

Happy Camping!

10. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

When I said they were all full last summer, I negleted to say that it was mid-June when I called for a July site. You should still be able to get something this early.

11. Salty Dog

Salty Dog
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at Pirateland, The KOA, and at Ocean Lakes. We definitely prefer Ocean Lakes above the other two. Pirateland was nice other than the constant golf car traffic with kids. KOA was nice but not at the beach - 2 easy walking blocks away. Ocean Lakes had far less golf car traffic but still had a fair amount - seemed much less than at Pirateland but was at different week than out stay at Pirateland also (our kids' spring break). If any indication, we are booked in at Ocean Lakes for next year already. Good luck

12. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

CAMPIN' KEN K,

Did you decide on a campground? Were you able to get a reservation?

13. CAMPIN KEN

CAMPIN KEN
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ May 14 2005, 06:43 AM)
    CAMPIN' KEN K,

Did you decide on a campground? Were you able to get a reservation?

Yes. We're going to stay at Pirateland. We actually tried to get a spot at Ocean Lakes but we would have had to move from one spot to another during the week. Do you know if they let people ride through the other campgrounds to check them out for future bookings?

Sorry for the long delay in responding but I didn't see your question. :unsure:

14. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I know that they used to, but that was several years ago. If you want to try, ask at the guard gates, all they can do is say no - nothing ventured, nothing gained. You could always walk down the beach and then into the campgrounds from that end. Just be careful to watch the tides. There is a "stream" between Pirateland and Lakewood that is too deep to cross during high tide. And be prepared for a long walk.

15. CAMPIN KEN

CAMPIN KEN
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Cheryl!

Ken

16. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome. Enjoy your stay. Check out Barefoot Landing while there. They have a tiger exhibit where - for a fee - you can have your picture taken holding a tiger cub or petting a full grown tiger. All proceeds go to protecting and caring for tigers. We are going in July.

17. campbud

campbud
    Expand Collapse

CAMPIN' KEN K....My sister is there now at Pirateland campground. I talked to her on the phone last night. She said they it is bikers week there in Myrtle. So she said it is very busy with bikers. She did say that the host said they they did not allow the bikers in, due to all the noise. She also to my sister that there were other campgrounds further down but they would probably be pretty much filled with the bikers. My sister didnt elaborate on the campground but did say that it was nice. Hope this helps you some.

18. CAMPIN KEN

CAMPIN KEN
    Expand Collapse

Thanks again. I can't wait to get down there. Never did a camping trip in Myrtle or on beach. Looking forward to it!

19. Ohio-jayco-popup

Ohio-jayco-popup
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone stayed at Myrtle Beach ST park? We have a PU and after reading some of the reviews of other CGs we decieded on the ST park. We really wanted to stay in Wilmington N.C. but found no adaquite CGs in the area on the beach and Myrtle Beach was closer than the outer banks.