Neat Product For Phone Service

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Krazy Koach, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Krazy Koach

Krazy Koach
    Expand Collapse

Hi all
    I recently installed a Magic Jack on my computer, this thing really works. With the price and coverage of cell phones this is a great alternative. I can call where ever incl Canada for free and its a no brainer to hook up, you just plug in the magic jack to your usb port, pulg your phone into that and away you go. With a good internet connection you cant tell the differance, and for $40 a year, its a deal! I bought it through one of those home shopping channels but I hear you can get it through Radio Shack, prices vary

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

The key phrase here is with good internet connection. With a less than stellar internet connection, it works terrible and sometimes not at all. I would not count on it as being your only way to reach someone.

3. Krazy Koach

Krazy Koach
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(weighit @ Nov 2 2009, 12:23 AM) [snapback]19853[/snapback]

The key phrase here is with good internet connection. With a less than stellar internet connection, it works terrible and sometimes not at all. I would not count on it as being your only way to reach someone.

Ive been travelling on a workin vacation all over US and Canada and havent had a problem even at 6mbs. I have to talk long distance sometimes for hours to my office , between ridiculous roaming and long distance charges its a great alternative or supplement.

4. deanintemp

deanintemp
    Expand Collapse

Krazy sounds like an advertisement! Are you sure you don't work for or distribute Magic Jack? I see and here this all the time on this and other forums...these people pretend to give an "honest" review only to find out that they are sales reps for the product. I don't know if that is the case here, but it sure does sound like it:

"recently installed Magic Jack"
    "this thing really works"
    "its a no brainer to hook up"
    "and for $40 a year, its a deal"
    "I hear you can get it through Radio Shack"
    "prices vary"
    "all over US and Canada and haven't had a problem"
    "even at 6mbs"
    "I have to talk long distance for hours to my office"
    "great alternative to ridiculous roaming an long distance charges"

Yep, sounds like a sales rep writing from a written brochure!

I don't know, maybe I owe Krazy an apology...I see Krazy has other posts on this forum that don't sound like sales pitches...just sounded too "fishy" to me!

5. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(deanintemp @ Nov 2 2009, 08:16 AM) [snapback]19855[/snapback]

Krazy sounds like an advertisement! Are you sure you don't work for or distribute Magic Jack? I see and here this all the time on this and other forums...these people pretend to give an "honest" review only to find out that they are sales reps for the product. I don't know if that is the case here, but it sure does sound like it:

"prices vary"
    "even at 6mbs"

I don't know, maybe I owe Krazy an apology...I see Krazy has other posts on this forum that don't sound like sales pitches...just sounded too "fishy" to me!

Actually, it's only the 1st year that it costs $40, then it's $20 a year after that. I have a five year plan for $60. I use it as my primary phone at home and also while on the road. If I can get a wifi signal, I can also get all my calls.

Yep, you owe an apology. This is another case of don't knock it if you haven't tried it. When travelling, my cell phone is rarely used because of Magic Jack. One of the best things about it is that if you don't like it, just get rid of it and you are only out $40. That's about 1/2 of my previous one month bill with my landline - which I no longer have.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

The fastest speed we have every found was 3.0 mbs and that was at a small library. Most places run 768 kbs down and 128 up. A large park may have 1.5 mbs but it is rare to find one. VOIP works very poor at low speeds. We have people who call our home and we can not understand anything they say due to VOIP. We had this system at work. System run on a T-1 from Tampa to Phoenix. At best the voice was junk grade. Systems are better now and may work a little better. We have a long way to go before VOIP is a great item to have.

7. Krazy Koach

Krazy Koach
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(deanintemp @ Nov 2 2009, 09:16 AM) [snapback]19855[/snapback]

"prices vary"
    "even at 6mbs"

We live in Canada, our cell phones dont work down here and when they do the fees are way out of line. I saw this on Tv and thought what the heck, Id only be out $40 if it didnt. I have nothing to do with MJ, its just something that works for me, I tried Spyke but that was like talkin on a walkie talkie.If anything better comes out I would definitely jump on it, just gettin tired of communications company screwing us, I pay more for that than heat or hydro. Im a property manager/inspector and I call a spade a spade. Sorry didnt mean for this to sound like an ad

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

It is sometimes difficult to know if someone is soliciting (which we do not allow) or simply telling about a product that may be of interest to fellow RVers (which we approve of). The line between these two is very blurred sometimes.

In this case Krazy did not ask you to get in touch with him to buy this product so it does not appear that he will profit directly from the sales (unless he is the inventor, which I doubt). From time to time other members have mentioned products they use and recommend (cleaning products come to mind), so this time the benefit of the doubt is in Krazy's favor as being someone who just wanted to tell about a product that he likes.

That said please know that we constantly keep an eye out for solicitation and spam being posted here, and we remove any that is found as quickly as possible.

9. deanintemp

deanintemp
    Expand Collapse

Yeppers...my apologies to Krazy!

I also use Skype, works pretty well for me to communicate with my marine son serving our country. Even has video both ways which I absolutely love...it is great to see his face and hear his voice at the same time!

10. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

When we were in Pagosa Springs this summer there was no cell service and I tried Skype at $2.95 a month. I could call the cell and get messages and make out going calls. I have kept it since we left and it has worked pretty good most of the time. For $2.95 a month it isn't a bad deal for me.