Need A Little Help With A Smell

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by rv1, Jul 11, 2010.

1. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

I have a motorhome and i am getting a smell coming from the stove. I know it is the propane if I have the windows shut it smells like a bad fart. Sorry but thats the best way i could explane it. No alarms go off likr the lp detector or anything like that. The smell does go away if I shut off the propane tank off but smell comes back wehn turned on. Has anyone had this befor or does this happen in all rv's? I only had an rv for 1 year this july just looking for some advice from the vetrens.

2. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Could it be that your oven is turned to pilot and the pilot has not been lighted? Most RV ovens have a pilot that must be lighted manually, before you use it for baking. The pilot is very small and usually will not trigger the propane alarm unless in a closed up RV who's doors are not being opened. I have had that same experience, if the oven pilot is the problem.

Propane has an odor added to it that is much like that of rotten eggs. It can also be that the tank is getting low as the additive causing the odor has some tendency to settle to the bottom of the tank is is frequently much stronger as the tank nears empty.

3. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kirk @ Jul 11 2010, 10:19 PM) [snapback]22964[/snapback]

Could it be that your oven is turned to pilot and the pilot has not been lighted? Most RV ovens have a pilot that must be lighted manually, before you use it for baking. The pilot is very small and usually will not trigger the propane alarm unless in a closed up RV who's doors are not being opened. I have had that same experience, if the oven pilot is the problem.

Propane has an odor added to it that is much like that of rotten eggs. It can also be that the tank is getting low as the additive causing the odor has some tendency to settle to the bottom of the tank is is frequently much stronger as the tank nears empty.

Thanks kirk i will check that

4. Krazy Koach

Krazy Koach
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rv1 @ Jul 11 2010, 08:27 PM) [snapback]22958[/snapback]

I have a motorhome and i am getting a smell coming from the stove. I know it is the propane if I have the windows shut it smells like a bad fart. Sorry but thats the best way i could explane it. No alarms go off likr the lp detector or anything like that. The smell does go away if I shut off the propane tank off but smell comes back wehn turned on. Has anyone had this befor or does this happen in all rv's? I only had an rv for 1 year this july just looking for some advice from the vetrens.

The smell you smelling is ethylmercaptin.
    What you should be doin is getting the system tested with a manometer, it will show if you have any leaks, a soap and water solution applied to any connections will help you identify them.
    Some facts about propane
    It is heavier than air, it sinks thats why you dont use in boats. A leak will go into the lowest point of where its confined and stay there until either it get blown out or up
    It is no good in extreme cold as it only turns into a gas at -38 or higher
    The gas pressure to appliances is described as babys breath
    Ethylmercaptin leaves a residue which after a while can gum up nozzles and regulators, they should be checked and cleaned periodically or replaced. Stove burners should be running an even blue, orange flame may indicate a problem with pressure, nozzle or air adjustment
    I worked in the RV repair biz and it never ceased to amaze me what some people do and dont do. Almost got blown out of one!

5. Trailer Park Casanova

Trailer Park Casanova
    Expand Collapse

The source bad smells we discovered over the years are from:

1. A broken or cracked under the sink drain pipe. Oh brother does it stink.
    Ya gotta get under their with a flashlite and wiggle the drain lines to see what may have broke, cracked or come de-attached.

Best repaired with no-hub connectors available at any chain hardware store. A hacksaw and a screwdriver and 10 minutes is all you will need.
    If you re-glue the repair with the same set-up, it may break again, so the no hub is the way to roll.

2. The stoves pilot lite must be turned off when the stove is not in use for very long or in transit.
    The Pilot lite goes out easily,, and the stinky propane will sneak through. It's not supposed to, but it does.
    (check the water heater too).

3. Propane connections may leak along on the supply lines from the tanks. That is way dangerous, so fixing the problem is essential.