Need Some Help Floridans

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rv1, Aug 18, 2009.

1. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

I am planing a trip to florida this spring brake around easter looking at the sarasota and clear water area. Want to be on the beach look out window and see ocean I have a 10 and 14 year old boys and a wife that loves the sun. Looking for full hook up I have a 31 foot motorhome. Dont care to much on the price of park. We are new to rving this summer was the first we are from ILL. took small trips around ILL. and Wis but this will be the first big one of many I hope and I want it to be perfect for the family. From all the posts I read you fellow rver's know where to go. Thank you for any help you lend a new rver.

2. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

Cannot help a lot around Clearwater area but here are three, two west coast one east coast that we enjoy with grandkids.
    Red Coconuts, Ft Meyers Beach sites right on the Gulf, good restaurants, things for your kids to do
    Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort, Naples short rode to beach, very nice CG
    East Coast, Jetty Park, Cape Canaveral over the dunes to Beach, three miles from Cocoa Beach, good restaurants in the port, Cocoa Beach Pier two miles (walk the beach if you like) many things for your kids to do, beautiful beach for your wife, also small shops, you can sit on the pier have a cold one while you watch your family.
    Hope this helps.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I agree with all the other places as we have been to all. Also look at Fort De Soto Park on south end of St. Pete Beach as well. Voted as one of the best around. May be hard to get in park at times. Look at more information on this web site. Tons of good write ups on this place.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Flori...erra_Verde.html

4. jchapman

jchapman
    Expand Collapse

ok, I have another place to check out..we are from Indiana so I know the drive to st.pete/tampa area..we just returned from myrtle beach, sc...they have some pretty cool campgrounds, where you can get beach front (look at waves) parking..here are some places to research as well as florida...try pirateland family campground, myrtle beach and ocean lakes family campground (I know the ocean lakes has nicer amenities, like concrete pads, wider lots, larger gameroom, surfing lessons, etc..check out the websites for some help...good luck

5. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

Good point ichapman, MB also has many great golf courses that are family oriented.

6. RockHound

RockHound
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at the Rambler's Rest RV Resort in the Venice/Bradenton area about 6 years ago. I think they are technically in Venice. This is an Encore owned RV park. We had a very pleasant stay the week we were here. They have very spacious sites and a nice pool to enjoy. The laundry and bathhouse facilities were also nice. The Venice beaches are nearby. Very clean beaches with white sand and blue-green water, instead of the brown water you find on the East Coast. You can rent sand sifters and search for the shark teeth that the beach is famous for. You are sure to find a nice ocean front restaurant and you can cruise the beautiful beachfront neighborhoods and daydream about your home that could be. We hadn't planned to stay here originally, but the campground we had reservations at was right on the Myakka River and was flooded. No one told us this was a regular occurrence. The locals call people that live on this river "river rats" because it floods so much. We didn't find out it was flooded until traveling down a several mile dirt road with a 32ft. pull behind in tow. Wherever you stay, stay away from any of the river front campgrounds, unless you have a backup campground in mind. There are several reviews on this website for this park. They go from one end of the scale to the other, so you may want to check them out.

7. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi rv1,

Welcome to the crowd. I know Fort DeSoto and it is one of my top places to camp, but I have to add that you will be far from the swimming beach (about 3 to 5 miles depending on the beach you want to use), although you will be able to see water teeming with birds and the occasional dolphins from your campsite. There are also no sewer hook-ups.

A similar place, not sewer hook-ups but within walking distance of the beach, water views with lots of birds and dolphins, is Sebastian Inlet State park in Florida. It is on the Atlantic coast though.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/sebastianinlet/default.cfm

As other people have mentionned Myrtle Beach, I can recommend Huntington Beach State Park just a few miles south of Myrtle Beach. You will not see the water from the campsites, but it's onle a very short walk through the dunes and you will hear the waves at night when it's quiet in the park.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-fin...-park/1020.aspx

Another South Carolina Park to consider is Hunting Island:

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-fin...-park/1019.aspx

Yet another park that has great reviews is Edisto Beach in SC:

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-fin...-park/1298.aspx

Have fun planning!

8. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for the great places I got my work cut out for me now