Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by SM1retired, Oct 23, 2005.

1. SM1retired

SM1retired
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    I am a new member and just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I spent the last week or so reading most of the previous posts (all 14 pages) :blink: I had already made my plans to head south (from Maine) for the winter before I found this website, but I plan on spending one night in Connecticut (haven't made reservations there yet), 1 night in New Jersey (Timberlane Campground), 10 nights in Virginia Beach (KOA), one night in North Carolina (Sleepy Bear's RV Park), one night in Richmond Hill, GA (Waterway RV Campground), then 3 months at my destination in Adel, Georgia. I plan on printing copies of the campground review form and will fill one out for each of my stays (except Adel Georgia). I will not post one for Reed Bingham State Park in Adel since I am going down there as a Camp Host. If I did post one, I would put it in the comment section that I was working as a Camp Host so all of you would be able to form your own opinion to the place.
    I have stayed at Virginia Beach KOA before (Kamping Kabin). I enjoyed my weekend there (Back in 2003 0r 2004).
    Thank you all for the reviews and comments in this forum. Web Master, Keep up the good work. I am happy to join this group.
    Jody

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Jody, welcome to our group. We are always happy to have "fresh blood". You won't find a nicer bunch of folks. Most of them are extremely helpful and a wealth of information. I can't wait for the day when we can travel for great lengths of time as you are preparing to do. I am 48 and already retired and hubby is 46 and probably 4 yrs. from retiring so hopefully after that time we can do better then 2
    10-14 day long trips per year and the occassional 3-4 day trips. The main problem with being on the road for long periods is being away from our grandson, and hopefully by the time we able to do that, there will be at least 1 more (preferably more)!!! We will be looking forward to your posts and your reviews.

3. SM1retired

SM1retired
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the welcome, Cheryl. Well, I called Waterway RV park in Georgia and cancelled my reservations there (mainly based on reviews on this site), and made reservations at Fort Mcallister State Park. Also decided to go to Aces High Rv Park in East Lyme, Connecticut.
    I retired from the Military this past January. I guess I am not ready to settle down yet (only 41 years old), so I am going to try camp hosting. I should enjoy it. Take care.
    Jody

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

When you said you were going to be a camp host, I imagined you to be older. Okay, all you camp hosts out there, please do not take offense at that. I only meant that generally, they are more on the mature side. At 41, you are still a youngster (anyone younger than I is considered a kid to me). Aren't the reviews here great? We generally plan our stays around what the folks here have to say. SOme of the reviews you have to take with a grain of salt because it appears something happened to tick them off and they give bad reviews because of that. When a park had wonderful reviews as a rule and then someone gives them a 2 and says something along the line that they didn't get their way, I generally overlook that review, but I am sure you will come across some of those and see for yourself what I am referring to. Enjoy your upcoming trip - I am jealous as I am stuck here in Colorado until it gets warm again in the spring. The RV has been winterized so I know it isn't going anywhere!!!

5. navyzone

navyzone
    Expand Collapse

Hi Jody,

I am a retired sailor myself. Welcome to the group. You might consider trying a military campground. There are several in the Virginia Beach area. Little Creek Amphib Base, Fort Story, and Dam Neck are the three which come to mind. You'd be surprised at how many there are all over the country. The exchange will probably have a "Military Living" campground guide which contains a weath of information about military camping. Some military campgrounds are great, some are less than great. The prices are almost always reasonable.

Enjoy your retirement and thank you for your service.

Lenny Julius
    USN Retired
    03 Winnebago Rialta
    Emerald Isle, NC

6. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

SM1, I echo Navyzone's sentiment in thanking you for your service, and also the same to you Navyzone. I realize the sacrifice's that servicemen (and women) make as my best friend's husband is in the service and I have watched the struggles they endured when his unit was called up to Iraq. Not to sound like a political announcement, but freedom truly is not free and I thank you both for all you have done for our country. Hopefully you both enjoy the retirement you have now earned and have fun traveling around.

7. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Ditto to Cheryl Fuller's comments. Whether you agree with the Iraq war or not, I think we all agree that we owe our servicemen and servicewomen a debt of gratitude for what they do for us, and the sacrifices they make on our behalf. It's a far cry from the way many people felt about returning servicemen from Vietnam (a shame), but at least today I think we all appreciate members of our armed forces.

8. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I totally agree with Beastmaster. Before Wayne Newton retired in April, my husband and I had the opportunity to see his show in Vegas. As you may know, he now leads the USO tours. At the end of his show he made the statement that whether you agreed with the war or not wasn't the issue. The fact remained that our service men and women were there giving their lives and making sacrifices, so to all the protestors out there, he thought the best thing for them to do was to keep their mouths shut and show some gratitude. Then he had all military personnel, both active and retired, stand and he saluted each and every one of them. It was one of the most moving things I have ever seen.

9. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

I'm Canadian, but I think I need to become American - I'm almost 41 and hubby is 43 - we are nowhere near considering retirement!

Can you tell me, what is a camp host? It sounds like it would be a great job for full-time RV'ers.

10. SM1retired

SM1retired
    Expand Collapse

Camping Girl,
    I sent you an email trying to explain camp ground hosts. If anyone is interested, I did start a Blog yesterday. It is about my Camping trip To Reed Bingham State Park. I will try to update it weekly while I am on the road. It will be all about my adventures and hopefully I will have some pictures on it. The address is:
    http://jodyscamptrip.blogstream.com
    Feel free to check it out. If you would like to add a comment, I believe you have to join the blog. It is completely free. Hope the info will help you all out. Take care.

11. Blackhawk19

Blackhawk19
    Expand Collapse

Good Luck, keep us informed

12. SM1retired

SM1retired
    Expand Collapse

Blackhawk,
    Thank you, I will try to keep everyone updated. How is the winter in Troy (You are not that much farther North than Adel, GA). I know it might be colder there than Adel, but do you get any snow?
    Take care and Happy Camping.
    Jody

13. Blackhawk19

Blackhawk19
    Expand Collapse

Jody
    We get a dusting of snow every 3 or 4 yrs. Last winter our lowest temp was
    high 20's. I won't be camping again until the first week in Dec. In Nov I'm
    going by car to Columbus Oh for a reunion with my unit from Vietnam.
    David