New Orleans Campgrounds

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pablues51, Jan 13, 2010.

1. pablues51

pablues51
    Expand Collapse

Heading from Dallas, Texas area to New orleans for a few days in the end of summer. ANy suggestions on camprounds in that area. Have 36' 5th wheel. Would like to be close or a location that offers a shuttle bus.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Number of nice places in New Orleans to stay but what you ask for would only fit the New Orleans West KOA in Jefferson on Hwy 90. This park has a shuttle bus that will take you downtown but you will need a cab to get back. The State Park in Westwego is great but you need to drive down to ferry and park on west bank and then take the free ferry across into city. If the street cars are working on St. Charles this is also a great way to go downtown. I would need to check the web site to see if cars are running now. The KOA is nice and you come off I-10 exit 228 travel south down to dead end. Now you are at Hwy 90, turn left travel east 1/2 mile or so and KOA will be on left side. Stay in left lane as you travel or you will miss it due to trees cover. A couple days will be too short of time frame to see the place. We spent lots of time in city.

Update: The street cars are working again. If you take Hwy 90 from KOA all the way to Claiborne Ave, park the truck or car on street and you will see street car at this point. Get the all day pass and you can ride the bus system as well on same pass. The street car will take you down town to Canal street. French Quarter will be across the street. On return get on street car at same point and get off at end of line again. Travel back to KOA. One of the best places in NO to eat on the way back down St. Charles, only the locals know about this place.

3. bigredoes

bigredoes
    Expand Collapse

We've stayed at the KOA mentioned above. When we were there things were exactly as John stated. It was an easy trip into the city on their shuttle -however the shuttle only leaves twice a day - Morning and Afternoon (make sure to give your name to people in the office to get a spot on the shuttle). You can catch a ride back on the Afternoon shuttle but if you stay in the city beyond 4 pm or so you will need to take a cab back as John mentioned. We also found driving in the city to be quite easy and we were there the week prior to Mardi Gras.

4. Cherl

Cherl
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at a park right on the transportation canal. Very clean and friendly, and watching some of the boats, especially at the marina next door. The road was terrible going in and out, but just took it slow. They had a shuttle that took you both ways, except for the last one in. A $20.00 cab ride back. We would stay at Pontchatrain Landing again just because of the water. The little restaurant even deliver pizza and wings to the coach. Everyone was very friendly.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I-10 in parts in that area are very bumpy. Scared us to death and we had to slow down to about 45. This has been several so it might have been fixed. We drove down to the French Quarter several time and just parked on the street without any problems. I was suprised. If you eat out in the French Quarter, lunchs are much cheaper.

6. janeyaja

janeyaja
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Ponchatrain Landing and found it to be almost first class. Right on the canal with free/good wifi and cable, free shuttle to French Quarter, food and a bar, all ammenities we need. The free shuttle made the PassPort America price an excellent buy. We went back again on our way up from Texas. I'm ready to return - already!!!

7. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at New Orlenas East Campground by Slidell. They have a shuddle (van) that takes you to the French Quarter and picks you up.

This campground use to be a KOA but isn't any longer. Still using the name New Orleans East. The Wi-Fi was excellent, we were farther away from the road so it was really quiet. The interior roads are paved and skinny, the sites are very narrow with gravel. We got in and out okay with our HDT and 35 ft trailer, but did see some sites would be really tight getting in and out of. The wife didn't like the taste of the water, I thought it was just fine. Lots of security lights. There is an area in the back of the campground for seasonals and permanent residents. The road there is gravel and so are the sites.

8. soos

soos
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(janeyaja @ Feb 15 2010, 08:44 AM) [snapback]20952[/snapback]

We stayed at Ponchatrain Landing and found it to be almost first class. Right on the canal with free/good wifi and cable, free shuttle to French Quarter, food and a bar, all ammenities we need. The free shuttle made the PassPort America price an excellent buy. We went back again on our way up from Texas. I'm ready to return - already!!!

we also stayed at Ponchatrain Landing for 2 nights- as you say- a first class place. the shuttle runs to and from the French Quarter up until 7 pm. after that, a cab ride is $20, but it beats driving and having to park a dually. THey are a Passport America park that did not restrict what nights we used the discount.
    We also spent 2 nights at the French Quarter Rv Resort. More expensive, but also top notch, first class, and walking distance to the French quarter. They are also a Passport America park, with a limit of one night at the discount.
    they were both great, both easy access to the city.

Sue

9. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi Sue,

What about Street noise at French Quarter Rv Resort? From what I see on Google Maps, they are practically under interstate 10. I plan to go to NO later this year and am checking out the options...

10. chuckl

chuckl
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wprigge @ Feb 20 2010, 05:19 PM) [snapback]21001[/snapback]

Hi Sue,

What about Street noise at French Quarter Rv Resort? From what I see on Google Maps, they are practically under interstate 10. I plan to go to NO later this year and am checking out the options...

We stayed there for a week and didn't hear any street noise other the the usual city sirens ect.

11. Krazy Koach

Krazy Koach
    Expand Collapse

If you want close the French Qaurter RV Resort is 2 blocks away from the French Quarter, the resort has it all, a bit pricy though, for some but I do have to say its the best as far as amenities, security, hospitality and cleaniness in the New Orleans area. Easy big sites, just dont climb the fence or wake up the dead! LOL

12. soos

soos
    Expand Collapse

we also did not have any trouble with road noise- you are right- it is right next to rt 10, but theres no hill, so no jake brakes etc. it wasn't an issue for us.
    remember - PA discount for one night at least.
    very nice park (they greet you at the gate wearing a suit!)

Sue
    http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

13. pablues51

pablues51
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to all for the advise!! Now if my boss doesn't pull back my vacation!