New Outbacker

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by actsholy, Jan 28, 2008.

1. actsholy

actsholy
    Expand Collapse

I have GMAC Insurance,I was told I would be paying 262 every six months now that I added my three cars they say its 63 a Month.I have zero points and the Lady that helped said she couldnt figure it out,I told her I could Cancel me.Does anyone have a insurance company they can recommend

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Actsholy:

I'm not sure I am understanding your post. You say you were paying $262 every six months, or $524 per year for, I presume, a travel trailer, and then you added three cars, and it went up to $63.00 per month or $756.00 per year. I don't know what your coverage is but I note you live in California, a high insurance state. We live in Florida and currently pay $2,200 per year for one motorhome and one car. I would love to have an insurance bill like your's! Perhaps you can elaborate a bit more but, based on what I understand, you should be happy.

3. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Jan 29 2008, 10:27 AM) [snapback]10067[/snapback]

Actsholy:

I'm not sure I am understanding your post. You say you were paying $262 every six months, or $524 per year for, I presume, a travel trailer, and then you added three cars, and it went up to $63.00 per month or $756.00 per year. I don't know what your coverage is but I note you live in California, a high insurance state. We live in Florida and currently pay $2,200 per year for one motorhome and one car. I would love to have an insurance bill like your's! Perhaps you can elaborate a bit more but, based on what I understand, you should be happy.

We live in Florida and have American Security Insurance on the coach and are insured with Mercury on the 3 cars. Premium for full replacement on the coach is $706 annually. On the cars it is $632 every 6 months
    The cars with Mercury are a 03 Olds Silloutte, 99 Lincoln and a 03 Ford pickup.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

It also depends if you are insured for "full-timing" or "recreational use." My motorhome is insured with Progressive, I paid $1200 a year when I "full-timed," and about $600 a year when it was "recreational" (ok, I have one speeding ticket on the record.....). When I got my renewal from Progressive, it was knocked down to $400 a year (Progressive won't write 6 month policies....). I was a bit surprised, as I believe my speeding ticket is still on the record as it's 1.5 years old now.......... (WA state doesn't do "points," it's just "number of tickets," I think.....)

Another factor (and I don't like this one bit!!!!) is that insurance companies (think they have) found a correlation between FICO score (credit rating) and "whether or not you file claims." Therefore, they are now using your FICO score as a "predictor" of your driving habits. (This is ridiculous!!!!) Even though I'm ok in the credit rating department, in my opinion, that is an UNETHICAL use of that information. On the other hand, my car is insured through a different company, and my insurance agent "fessed up" that he hasn't checked my driving record for a long time because my credit score was ok. Therefore, the insurance agent for my car does not know about my speeding ticket (which is about 1.5 years old now....).

If you are paying rates that you think are a bit high.... might want to consider whether or not your credit files are up to snuff. You should check your credit histories at www.annualcreditreport.com .

Do NOT use "www.freecreditreport.com ," that is a commercial site (RIPOFF).

Now, you won't get your FICO score on the "three freebies" (one per credit agency, there are three, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion), you have to pay extra for that. But if you have anything on your credit report that says anything OTHER than "pays as agreed...." then your FICO score is probably not "up to snuff."

JJ

5. actsholy

actsholy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jan 29 2008, 12:00 PM) [snapback]10072[/snapback]

It also depends if you are insured for "full-timing" or "recreational use." My motorhome is insured with Progressive, I paid $1200 a year when I "full-timed," and about $600 a year when it was "recreational" (ok, I have one speeding ticket on the record.....). When I got my renewal from Progressive, it was knocked down to $400 a year (Progressive won't write 6 month policies....). I was a bit surprised, as I believe my speeding ticket is still on the record as it's 1.5 years old now.......... (WA state doesn't do "points," it's just "number of tickets," I think.....)

Another factor (and I don't like this one bit!!!!) is that insurance companies (think they have) found a correlation between FICO score (credit rating) and "whether or not you file claims." Therefore, they are now using your FICO score as a "predictor" of your driving habits. (This is ridiculous!!!!) Even though I'm ok in the credit rating department, in my opinion, that is an UNETHICAL use of that information. On the other hand, my car is insured through a different company, and my insurance agent "fessed up" that he hasn't checked my driving record for a long time because my credit score was ok. Therefore, the insurance agent for my car does not know about my speeding ticket (which is about 1.5 years old now....).

If you are paying rates that you think are a bit high.... might want to consider whether or not your credit files are up to snuff. You should check your credit histories at www.annualcreditreport.com .

Do NOT use "www.freecreditreport.com ," that is a commercial site (RIPOFF).

Now, you won't get your FICO score on the "three freebies" (one per credit agency, there are three, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion), you have to pay extra for that. But if you have anything on your credit report that says anything OTHER than "pays as agreed...." then your FICO score is probably not "up to snuff."

JJ

6. actsholy

actsholy
    Expand Collapse

Okay I wasnt clear I dont fulltime its in storage most of the time because its for sale because I bought the 28 krs. It is a travel trailer,what got me upset is when I added the other cars on my travel trailer cost went up with it when it should I think gone down.I dont fulltime but I do use it in my job if I have to trave for a place to stay maybe two weeks at a time twice a year and of course Travel.

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(actsholy @ Jan 29 2008, 10:30 AM) [snapback]10075[/snapback]

Okay I wasnt clear I dont fulltime its in storage most of the time because its for sale because I bought the 28 krs. It is a travel trailer,what got me upset is when I added the other cars on my travel trailer cost went up with it when it should I think gone down.I dont fulltime but I do use it in my job if I have to trave for a place to stay maybe two weeks at a time twice a year and of course Travel.

Ok, since it's a TT and not a Class A or Class C, it is probably insured differently. You don't "drive" a TT, you "pull" it. Therefore, it wouldn't be car insurance you need, it would be some type of "personal property" insurance (I have never owned a TT, someone correct me if I'm wrong!!!!) probably on your homeowner's policy. On the other hand, your car insurance would have to be updated (and might cost extra!!!) to indicate you do "pull" a TT. If your car insurance isn't updated to show you pull a TT, and you are in an accident, you might fall in a crack and neither policy (TT or car) will cover you.

So, is this your TT insurance, or your CAR insurance you are questioning?

Also, I believe...... there is one RV insurance company that will give you a "rebate" on your premium for months you had it in storage and did not use it. You have to apply after the premium year has expired. Now, if you use it ONE day in any particular month, you can't claim that month as "not used." I forgot which company did that (it might be Good Sams!!). I thought it was Progressive, but when I contacted Progressive to try to claim said rebate, they said they don't have that program. (or maybe they cancelled it after I was told by an agent that they had it.....)

JJ

8. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

In New York State, a towable unit is covered by the tow vehicles' lability insurance at the time of hookup. You may add collision and comprehensive insurance to the towable. At the time, four years ago, when we had our towable, the cost per year was not that bad. At that time, if I remember correctly, it was around $ 50. a year. Like everything else, in the last four years, that to has more than likely gone up.

9. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

Wow, wish I had some of your rates!

Were full timers with Texas as our home base. We pay around $1000 a year for full coverage with a home owners type of insurance. Our trailer is our home so it is worth it.
    Nine years ago when we had a (real home), we paid roughly $175 a year on our trailer. That was in California. B)

10. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

You need to understand that all major insurance companies play little games with the public, and the Best Congress Money Can Buy lets them get away with it. For instance, they don't count the money they earn on investments when figuring their profit and loss for premium adjustment purposes (millions and millions of dollars), they set up a separate company for each state so that, if they have a major loss in one state, they are not forced to offset it with the gazillion dollars in profits they earn from non-loss states, they often repair vehicles with cheap imported parts and not original equipment, they depreciate property to ridiculous levels so as to bring down repair and replacement costs, and, yes, they do use FICO scores (or other negative information on your credit report (true or not) to raise your rates. All in all, its like every other business that makes huge contributions to lawmakers, and hires high price lobbyists to head off legislation unfavorable to them. And who is responsible for this? We are, because we don't raise enough hell with our legislators and we keep re-electing the crooks.