New York City

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Brenna, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Brenna

Brenna
    Expand Collapse

Planning trip to NY and New England this fall - Anyone help with CG in NJ and bus travel into the City

2. TentingTimesTwo

TentingTimesTwo
    Expand Collapse

You might want to look at the Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City, NJ, which offers bus tours into NY and is within easy reach of NY by train. Although I am told it is little more than a non-scenic RV parking lot, it is near Liberty State Park, and offers wonderful views of NYC. For reviews, check out this site

3. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

We just got back from a trip to the Newburgh/New York KOA (reviews are listed under Platekill New York on this website). I would rate the campground at least a 9. It is a bit of a drive into NYC but they offer tours into New York City leaving right from the campground, this was why we booked in here. We left the campground at 7:30am and got back around 7pm. We really enjoyed the tour - having never been to NYC before, it was a great way to get to see the city and learn more about. They also provide "return trips" to NYC the next day for $30, I would have done this if we had more time. We really enjoyed it and would go back again.

4. twins89

twins89
    Expand Collapse

Hi. If you check the RV park reviews for NY and go to Croton on the Hudson, you'll find Croton Point Park. Make a call there. They are about 60 min from NYC and the MTA station (train to Grand central) is within walking distance from the CG. That CG has full hookups. Taking the train will cost off peak about $20 per adult ROUND TRIP if you buy them online or at the station. Don't buy them on the train it costs a lot more. This will get you to Grand Central in less than one hour (this is not a long time). You will then be able to see what ever you want to via the subway or bus or walking. You will need to then get back to Grand Central and find the trains to the Hudson Line, and get off at the station - I think it is the Beacon-something stop. Just ask they will help you! NYC is so much fun. We have been several times. Just be prepared to spend money. Eat breakfast before you leave. Take a snack, get a hotdog on the street and then get back for dinner and it won't cost you that much. Avoid eating in midtown manhattan$$$$. Cheaper food will be in lower or upper manhattan. You can buy the knockoff purses in China town or in Battery Park on the weekends. Be prepared to wait for the Empire State building --security now is very long but don't miss it. The hansom cabs you get in front of the Plaza hotel at 57th street at the beginning of central park. I advise taking a bus to lower manhtattan one day via 5th avenue so you can see all the ritzy stores - takes longer than the subway but you get to see some things. Make sure you walk around Grand Central there are lots of things to see and some of the buskers (musicians that play ) are very talented and the music can be great. Good Luck and enjoy. It is a very safe place to visit but keep your belongings close to you. Wear comfy shoes. You can also go to Trailer Life Forum for more info on camping near NYC.

5. Brenna

Brenna
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the help on CG's near NYC - Looking forward to going - Thanks again ~~Brenna

6. Blue Devil

Blue Devil
    Expand Collapse

We just returned yesterday from an 8 day camping trip to Connecticut. We stayed at Rocky Neck State Park which was a great park. Connecticut is a beautiful state and there are a number of campgrounds. We took the train from New Haven into New York City which was relatively quick and painless. The trains run regularly so you can leave and return basically whenever you want (from before dawn until 1:30 a.m. I believe).

I can't really comment on New Jersey camping vs. Connecticut as far as camping goes since I've never camped in New Jersey. The camping is great in Connecticut however. Our campground was right on the ocean and we could walk to the beach (very large with white sand). There are also many day trip locations within very short drives in Connecticut. We thought Connecticut gave us the best of both worlds - close and easy proximity to NYC and beautiful beaches and all the sites of Connecticut. Connecticut is heavily wooded so I would imagine it is quite beautiful in the fall with all of the autumn colours.