Newbie Intro With Many Questions

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by sillypup, Jun 26, 2007.

1. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

Hello all,

I'm a completely and totally green newbie that just(yesterday) took the huge step of buying my very first HTT, a Forest River Surveyor 180T. I've never towed anything in my life, so the next week I'll be spending every available moment in the Target and Walmart parking lots (after closing time of course)getting to know my new baby, and especially how to back it up!!

I hope to be ready for our maiden voyage the following week, and any input from you experienced RVers would be more than welcome :)

So, one of my big questions is; is solo RVing common at all, or will I be the only solo RVer on the campground? Also, I'm female, and I'm wondering how safe it is to be camping on your own? Any good tips from other solo RVers?

I'm excited to see that many of you travel with your pets, as that is my main goal. I have 4 dogs that I hope to be able to bring eventually. I'll start by bringing 2 of them, and hope to work up to eventually bringing the full "crew" :eek: I've been tent camping with all of them, but my Explorer just isn't big enough to travel around in for any length of time.

I feel like I've taken a huge plunge, buying a travel trailer, but maybe with some help from some seasoned RVers, I can avoid some common newbie mistakes.
    Hope to hear from some of you!

Cheers, Mia

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Mia,

First off welcome to this web site. FMCA had a long write up on women that travel solo some time ago. From what I can remember no one had a problem with this. One tip I do remember is lady put a large dog bowl and chain outside her door at night. What is on the other side of that door????

You will find everyone or most everyone will be more than happy to help up back in or hookup. In most cases you will not need to ask, someone will show up and give you a hand.

About everyone has DOG's or CAT's. Some park owners have problems with pets and some do not. Need to ask up front before you pay to spend the night, no refunds. If you do not like what you hear then move on to the next place or go to Wal-Mart for the night. Also check this site and read comments before you pick a campground.

You are on the correct path, take the time to work on backing up into a site. Use cones or wood to mark out the site. Remember in a large parking lot you can not hit a tree or run over the person in next site over. We did the same thing years ago and it works today.

Enjoy the RV life! :p

3. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Mia, welcome to the forum. I am not a "solo RV'er" but I have seen a couple in our treks. Feel free to ask as many questions as you would like - there are some very knowledgeable people here - a lot of the guys are real pro's and will be able to steer you in the right direction.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Here's another welcome to the forum. We have met several solo men campers and pairs of lady campers but to date only one other solo lady camper, but I'm sure there are many more out there. The one we did meet traveled with 3 or 4 dogs. She was working in Yellowstone NP at the time, but traveled around from job to job. She seemed to really enjoy her lifestyle. I'm sure it will not take you long to get the hang of things.

I have heard of singles camping clubs, but I do not recall the names of any. It seems one was for ladies only, but I'm not sure. Don't know if that sort of thing would interest you, but I decided to mention it just in case.

I read your other post about traveling with your dogs. We love having our animals with us. As you probably read we only have cats right now, but we have had dogs in the past. I'm sure your dogs will have some great adventures to tell their friends. Maybe you could train them to help you back the trailer. One bark for left, two for right. Just kidding!!

Now get out there and start having fun.

5. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

My suggestion for your maiden voyage is to camp for a couple of nights at a local or nearby campground. That way you can get the hang of hooking up and the basic ins and outs of your trailer. You will also find out if everything works as advertised and if not, you can always go home. You will also find out things you need, so make a list. I would buy any basics first and then make a list and go to wal-mart as you find things you really need. After a while, you will probably have everything including the kitchen sink! :lol:
    Best of luck and get out there and enjoy your RV.

6. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Mia,

First let say,"welcome". In our travels, We have seen a couple solo ladies, one with a fifth wheel, and one with a good size motor home. When making moves, first, look at your intend move(s), move slowly, and if you need assistance, please ask. One point you may want to try is: when backing, place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and move the wheel in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. This may help take away some of the confusion, and frustration in the beginning. You will do just fine, in a very short time you will be an old hand at all aspects of moving your unit. As to the subject of your dogs, inquire as to the number, per site allowed, some campgrounds/resorts have limits---two per site. Breeds are also an issue. Safe travels, enjoy your new Rv, and the Rv life style.

7. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and for taking the time to answer my questions :)

I get to pick up my trailer on Monday, and I can't wait!!

Mastercraft, I think I'm going to do what you suggested, and go to a campground nearby for our maiden voyage, and concentrate on getting comfortable with hooking up and all that. It'll feel comfortable to be pretty close to home just in case.....

As for leaving a dog bowl and a chain outside, I suspect that's exactly what will happen since the pooches *will* be on the other side of the door :lol:

Thanks again, and I'll most definitely be back with more questions soon!

Mia

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Be sure to let us know how that first trip goes. We've all been there.

9. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Let me add my welcome to you Mia. The dealer should be willing to help get you comfortable with your unit. The idea of going to the parking lot is a good one. I agree that usually someone will be willing to help if you need it. I was just at campground and the manager said that a lady arrived in a new RV and said her husband could not get there until the next day and could the manager help her get into her site and hooked up-- he backed her in and got her all hooked up!
    My niece has traveled in her RV solo and with her young sons and never had a problem. Once in my life I felt unsafe in a campground. Just went inside locked the door and left early the next day!
    Try to get a campground the first time with either a pull through or really wide roads-- check the reviews on here. There is nothing wrong with starting with a pull through.
    When I got back into RVing and bought a 34 foot motorhome, I called the campground and told them that I was new and needed an easy in site and they were very understanding and gave me a site you could get in blindfolded. Don't hesitate to ask for help

10. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Bud! That's a good idea to try to find a place with pull throughs to make it a little easier in the beginning. I'll ask for an "easy" spot when I make reservations and hopefully they can help me with that. :)

Mia

11. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mia,
    Congratulations on taking the plunge! You will meet a few single women out there. I full-timed alone (my mom traveled with me when she could) for over 7 years and loved every minute of it. I have known several other women RVing alone. I never felt unsafe or had a problem being alone. Just take the "normal" precautions. I felt that I had the best of both worlds. Since I had to do everything myself, I found that many times I would end up where the guys would congregate to ask "guy" questions. Then, I would visit with the ladies and talk girl talk.

I started with a small 5er, moved up to a larger one, then had 2 motor homes, each was 40'. You can learn to back and do whatever is required.

Jurhee

QUOTE(sillypup @ Jun 26 2007, 08:45 PM) [snapback]7451[/snapback]

Hello all,

So, one of my big questions is; is solo RVing common at all, or will I be the only solo RVer on the campground? Also, I'm female, and I'm wondering how safe it is to be camping on your own? Any good tips from other solo RVers?
    Cheers, Mia

12. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Jurhee, I'm really looking forward to our first trip, and since I started practicing backing up and realized that it's really not that difficult, I do feel MUCH better about the whole thing, lol!

But there's so much to learn, and I'll just try to absorb as much as I can before that first trip.

Mia

13. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Just remember Mia, move slowly in unfamiliar territory, and if making a move in tight quarters, stop, get out and look at the area, before resuming movement. Better safe, than sorry.

14. Sonny Domingue

Sonny Domingue
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jun 26 2007, 10:48 PM) [snapback]7456[/snapback]

Here's another welcome to the forum. We have met several solo men campers and pairs of lady campers but to date only one other solo lady camper, but I'm sure there are many more out there. The one we did meet traveled with 3 or 4 dogs. She was working in Yellowstone NP at the time, but traveled around from job to job. She seemed to really enjoy her lifestyle. I'm sure it will not take you long to get the hang of things.

I have heard of singles camping clubs, but I do not recall the names of any. It seems one was for ladies only, but I'm not sure. Don't know if that sort of thing would interest you, but I decided to mention it just in case.

I read your other post about traveling with your dogs. We love having our animals with us. As you probably read we only have cats right now, but we have had dogs in the past. I'm sure your dogs will have some great adventures to tell their friends. Maybe you could train them to help you back the trailer. One bark for left, two for right. Just kidding!!

15. Sonny Domingue

Sonny Domingue
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Sonny Domingue @ Sep 9 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]8268[/snapback]

16. Sonny Domingue

Sonny Domingue
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Sonny Domingue @ Sep 9 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]8268[/snapback]

I have run into a club called WOW Women on Wheels

17. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

One group for single men and women is ---Loners on Wheels - LoW - An International RV Club of single men and women who enjoy traveling, camping, RV caravaning and the camaraderie and lifestyle www.lonersonwheels.com

There are a couple for just women, but I never joined. I had too many "couples" friends and groups that I traveled/visited with.

Jurhee

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sillypup,

How did your first trip go? Did your dogs go with you? Most important did you have a good time?

I wanted to pass along that I saw a book advertised that you might be interested in. It is called "RV Traveling Tales; Women's Journeys on the Open Road." The ad says "This anthology features the writings of women of varied backgrounds, many living full–time in their RVs, ranging in age from 14-85. They take a humorous look at situations unique to the RVing lifestyle: living in a small box on wheels, maneuvering a 38 foot RV, or surviving bears and other calamities." I think it is available from Trailer Life. Check their web site.

Also I don't remember where I read it (maybe on this forum), but one tip I heard for single women was to get a huge dog collar and leash and leave them just outside your RV door at night. Course I know you have real dogs, but I wasn't sure how big they were or if they were only capable of licking people to death.

Anyway hope you are having fun in your new trailer!!!

19. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Sillypup> A couple years ago we met a 75 year old lady who had been RVing on her own for about five years in a class B. She had even done Alaska by herself. A wonderful person who we still keep in touch with.

I am a full timer and there's lots of advise I could give you, but one that was in this thread is worth repeating....take your time. Secondly, you will break, run over, or damage something at some point. It happens to everyone. So try to make it cheap. :D

20. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

Hi everybody,

My first trip went very well! I went to a campground about 30 minutes away from home just to make sure everything worked, and it did! I had a great time and I met some very nice fellow campers too.

My second trip went great also. This time I ventured a whopping 45 mins from home, and I brought ALL my dogs with me. They are pretty big dogs (Rottweiler, Australian Cattle Dog, Pit Bull and Doberman) and the only slightly difficult task was to walk all four of them at once :D
    Normally I'll walk them two at a time, but with a little practice it will become easier, I'm sure.
    They all loved to hang out in front of the trailer people- and dog-watching, but their favorite was being inside the trailer in the tent-end that's been designated for them, just watching life go by on the outside :)

I couldn't get the heater to work, and took the trailer to the dealer when I came home, and it turned out to be a fuse INSIDE the heater, so they fixed it, and now it works fine.
    I had been a little worried about running out of juice in the battery after a day or so, but I stayed for 3 nights and 4 days at the campground, and according to the gauge the battery was still 75% full by the time I left. Didn't even get to use my new generator!

But my next trip will be for 5 nights in October, so I'm sure the generator will come to use then.

I'm hoping to be able to go on some slightly longer trips next year, and I guess I'll just keep practicing close to home until then ;)

Mia