Niagra Falls And Finger Lakes Region

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by mastercraft, Jan 17, 2010.

1. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

We are travelling to the northeast this summer and plan to stay around a week in Niagra Falls and the Finger Lakes region of New York. We will be travelling with 2 children and a pet. I would love input from others who have stayed in this area. I need full hookups and big rig friendly campsites. Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. RVingMama

RVingMama
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mastercraft @ Jan 17 2010, 02:00 PM) [snapback]20694[/snapback]

We are travelling to the northeast this summer and plan to stay around a week in Niagra Falls and the Finger Lakes region of New York. We will be travelling with 2 children and a pet. I would love input from others who have stayed in this area. I need full hookups and big rig friendly campsites. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I've never been up there, but keep in mind the Watkins Glen NASCAR race is Aug 8th. It's near Seneca Lake. You might want to avoid that time or area. Campgrounds might be crowded. Just a thought.

3. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jhswillis @ Jan 18 2010, 12:48 PM) [snapback]20702[/snapback]

I've never been up there, but keep in mind the Watkins Glen NASCAR race is Aug 8th. It's near Seneca Lake. You might want to avoid that time or area. Campgrounds might be crowded. Just a thought.

Thanks for the information, we will be there the first week of July.

4. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

It would be quite a distance from the falls, but 1000 Islands on the St Lawrence River is a very nice area. Wellesly Is. State Park.
    Association Is. Resort on Lake Ontario not bad either. Again it is aways from the finger lakes and the falls.
    There is a place called Darien Lake, that is close to where you want to go. It is a theme park with a campground.. I have never been there so I can't help you with that.
    I have been to both Association Is. and Wellesly Is. The St Lawrence has more to do, especially for the children. They have tour boats around the islands and antique boat museums. There is a castle tour from Alexandria Bay from the tour boat also. You would not believe how clear the water is there.
    The park has only one loop with full hook ups, about 60 sites. It will fill up quickly. especially in July. There are quite a few more campgrounds, state and private, in the area but I have no information on them.
    I

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

If you are going to the 1,000 Island area in New York, be very aware of a campground named, "Seaway Island Resort" listed in "Fineview", which is an old run down Cg that should have been shut up years ago. Power is BAD, water is discolored, and amenities advertised are either nonexistent, or are in a state that they are unusable. The better choice is the State Cg on Wellesley Island, but you have to pay to cross the bridge onto the Island, but there is not a fee crossing in the opposite. If one is going to "Boldt Castle" cross the bridge and proceed to the Castle "Boat House" for the crossing to the castle itself.....less crowds, easier parking. Most do not know this is available. Good luck...enjoy.

6. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Looking to stay in New England. I don't think we are going to venture to the Canadian side this year. I am still looking for ideas of campgrounds in the Finger lakes region, I have looked through the campground reviews, none seem great in the Falls area, nor do they seem bad either. I am just looking for other input. Thanks for the responses though. Looks like I am going to have to plan a trip to Canada!

7. Sightman

Sightman
    Expand Collapse

The Finger Lakes region of New York is a very nice part of the state. Good campgrounds are in short supply. Best in the area include; Hickory Hill - Bath New York, Watkins Glen KOA - Watkins Glen, and for a couple of nights Canandaigua KOA. Area attractions near Bath include Keuka Lake wineries, Curtis Air Museum and Corning Glass Museum. Attractions near Watkins Glen include Seneca Lake Wineries, Watkins Glen State Park (nice gorge), Ithaca New York, and Elmira Harris Hill Soaring. Rochester has a number of interesting things to do.

Lake George is an area you may want to check out. It is just 1 hour north of Albany. Several great campground and lots to do.

8. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(canandaigua1 @ Jan 21 2010, 08:51 AM) [snapback]20729[/snapback]

The Finger Lakes region of New York is a very nice part of the state. Good campgrounds are in short supply. Best in the area include; Hickory Hill - Bath New York, Watkins Glen KOA - Watkins Glen, and for a couple of nights Canandaigua KOA. Area attractions near Bath include Keuka Lake wineries, Curtis Air Museum and Corning Glass Museum. Attractions near Watkins Glen include Seneca Lake Wineries, Watkins Glen State Park (nice gorge), Ithaca New York, and Elmira Harris Hill Soaring. Rochester has a number of interesting things to do.

Lake George is an area you may want to check out. It is just 1 hour north of Albany. Several great campground and lots to do.

Thanks, I will have to check out the lake george area. Several people have mentioned the watkins glen KOA.

9. soos

soos
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Clute Park-(in a 35 ft fifth wheel)- easy to get in and out of the sites, its right near the water- you can walk to it, and there is a great park for kids across the street. Near the Gorge and state park as well....we really enjoyed our stay there.
    Clute Park & Campground
    155 S Clute Park Dr, Watkins Glen, NY 14891-1268
    (607) 535-4438‎

Google and you'll see where it is...

10. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the help in the finger lakes region. Still need some help with niagara falls.

11. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

You may want to think about crossing over the border, and staying at the Niagara Falls KOA. We had a great time there last year, and thought the campground was very good. The campground is just a couple miles up the main road from the Falls themselves, and there is bus transportation available at the campground entrance for a small day-pass fee. That way you really don't have to drive anywhere. The botanical gardens on the Canadian side are neat to visit, and so is the Hydro dam/power plant (at least, I thought so!). Definitely try to eat at the Skylon restaurant! You are literally overlooking the falls as you have a great meal.

Also make sure you ride the "Maid of the Mist", which you can do from either side of the border.

12. rwberg

rwberg
    Expand Collapse

I stayed in the KOA Niagra Falls on the Canadian side. It is adequate and close to the falls and on a bus route. It isn't cheap but is close to all the attractions.