Nice Texas Coast Park?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by perrodiablo, Jun 24, 2007.

1. perrodiablo

perrodiablo
    Expand Collapse

We just bought our first travel trailer and want the first trip to be right. We want to stay on Texas coast at a park with a pier, we love to crab! Any suggestions?? We found a quaint little town called Seadrift on SanAntonio Bay but cannot find any reviews. Some look like they have too many permanent residents. I promise my wife (who reluctant to buy!!) that the parks we stay at will be nice. Come on folks....keep me out of the doghouse.

Thanks a million :)

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Texasrvers, this is your bag. You travel TX more than a cowboy on the old trail. :D

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

John,

I appreciate your confidence in me, but I may not be able to help as much as you profess. We do travel through Texas a lot (you have to to get anywhere else!) and I shore am saddle sore, but we don't actually stay at very many parks here.

perrodiablo (devildog?),

When we go to the coast it is usually to Port Aransas, and we have always stayed at Pioneer RV Resort. While this is a really nice place, it does not have a pier. It does have a boardwalk to the gulf, but even then there is no pier right in that area. I think the town of Port Aransas (about 5 miles away and there is bus service from the park) has a public pier. There are 2 other RV parks right in town, but again I do not know about a pier. We are not fishermen or crabbers (though we do get crabby at times :p ), so even though I would like to live up to John's glowing expectations, I am probably not the best person to provide the information you want.

However, I will tell you that Seadrift is close to Port A and there are lots of private campgrounds in this general area. You might also consider a Texas State Park. Many of them are very nice. Goose Island State Park is in that area and is supposed to be good, but we've never stayed there. It lists a lighted fishing pier, but other than that I know nothing about it. You can get info on it and other state parks at
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us.

Wish I could help you more, but fishing (crabbing) is not my bag of worms. Maybe someone else can come to your rescue, and good luck finding what you're looking for.

4. parkhopper

parkhopper
    Expand Collapse

Perrodiablo,

I've been through Seadrift many times. My inlaws have a house on the intracoastal waterway near there so I've never stayed at an RV park in Seadrift. I have seen two in the area...Beacon7rvpark and Almost Paradise RV Park. These didn't look like great places and I don't think your wife would appreciate them much!
    Seadrift is just a small fishing town with a colorful past. I was told that in the wild west days it used to be an outlaw town. The Texas Rangers wouldn't even go in the city limits for fear of being shot. In later years, the outlaw biker gang "Banditos" made this town their hideout as well. It's a much more peaceful town these days. If you do pass through town stop in at Barquette's it's the best seafood in town.
    Port O'Connor and Port Lavaca are very close to Seadrift and are much larger towns. They would probably have better RV Parks near the bay.

Good luck....

5. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

I would suggest Rockport or Port Aransas. Both have some nice places. There are also several decent places in Galveston area. I lived for many years in Port Lavaca and Victoria so I am very familar with the area. I have stayed at the park in Port Lavaca, but won't go back. Not clean and too much drive through traffic. To my knowledge, there is nothing worth going to in Port O'Connor or Seadrift.

Jurhee

QUOTE(parkhopper @ Jun 27 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]7475[/snapback]

Perrodiablo,

I've been through Seadrift many times. My inlaws have a house on the intracoastal waterway near there so I've never stayed at an RV park in Seadrift. I have seen two in the area...Beacon7rvpark and Almost Paradise RV Park. These didn't look like great places and I don't think your wife would appreciate them much!
    Seadrift is just a small fishing town with a colorful past. I was told that in the wild west days it used to be an outlaw town. The Texas Rangers wouldn't even go in the city limits for fear of being shot. In later years, the outlaw biker gang "Banditos" made this town their hideout as well. It's a much more peaceful town these days. If you do pass through town stop in at Barquette's it's the best seafood in town.
    Port O'Connor and Port Lavaca are very close to Seadrift and are much larger towns. They would probably have better RV Parks near the bay.

Good luck....

6. perrodiablo

perrodiablo
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes: Thanks to you all for the help. It is really hard to decide when looking at websites. They can make a place look like heaven on earth in the pictures. Again thanks to all.