Nm Road

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by RLM, Aug 20, 2007.

1. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Is anyone familar with New Mexico highway 64 leading into Taos from I-25? Will be traveling it in a motor home with towed vehicle.

2. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Went there many years ago and remember the road as being fairly narrow and winding, but it may have been improved since I was there. Remember the town having narrow streets and little parking. Might want to consider staying outside Taos and driving your toad there.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

RLM

We have been on (64) from end to end and I do not remember any problems. Road is scenic and very nice mountains to look at on west end. If you are moving north stop in CO Springs, great place to tour. Have a good trip.

4. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 21 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]8074[/snapback]

RLM

We have been on (64) from end to end and I do not remember any problems. Road is scenic and very nice mountains to look at on west end. If you are moving north stop in CO Springs, great place to tour. Have a good trip.

JohnBlue> I'm actually in Colorado Springs and will move south next week to Roswell, NM. Considering a visit to Taos and Angel Fire along the way, but haven't yet decided if I want to take the rig or just do a day trip from somewhere near I-25.

I concur, Colorado Springs a great place to visit.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

RLM,

I wasn't going to jump in on this since it has been quite a few years since we have been in this area, and I'm sure things have changed. But then I decided what the heck. I'll tell you what we remember. About 10 years ago we drove from Red River down to Taos on Hwy 38 then west on 64. We were in a car, but I don't recall any problems--just a little windy (curvy, not wind blowing) and beautiful scenery. Then about 4 years ago we stayed at the KOA in Las Vegas, NM which is just off I-25. We drove on back roads up to Angel Fire and then on up to Red River (which is one of our favorite places.) The staff at the KOA advised us not to take our RV on this route, but there were several RV parks along this road and they actually had RV's in them. This area is really rustic, but very pretty. On our way back to the KOA we took Hwy 64 east out of Eagle Nest and then switched to Hwy 58 in Cimmaron. If I recall this road runs right along a river with high cliffs in many areas. Again really pretty. I think all of the roads were 2 lane, but I do know there were turn offs in the area that ran beside the river. We have not actually driven an RV over this route, but my brother-in-law takes his 34' motor home up to Red River going from I-25 to Cimmaron to Eagle Nest and then Red River, and he makes it just fine. I hope this info helps even though it is a bit dated.

While you are in Colorado Springs I hope you ride the incline railway up to the top of Pike's Peak. When we were there one June there was still snow on the top. We also enjoyed Garden of the Gods and the cliff dwellings in Manitou Springs. We drove over to the Royal Gorge (take the incline to the bottom) and even found time for a raft trip. There's lots to do in that area. Just talking about it sure makes me want to get on the road and go there again. Hope you're having as much fun as we did.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

RLM,

I agree with Texasrvers on all the places in his post. We were in Las Vegas, NM this spring at KOA. Sites on front row have been upgraded and are nice, so is owners. The hold place around Las Vegas was nice to see. Great places to eat downtown, ask KOA people. In CO Springs I think you could spent a month in that place and not see it all. We plan to return soon. Great view from top of Pike's Peak. Manitou Springs has turned into a place to be. Do not miss dinner at Guiseppi's Old Depot down by the railroad tracks.

7. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

All> Thanks for all of the info. We met some fellow travelers yesterday at one of the Colorado Springs attractions who made some more 'to-do' suggestions as we head south from here. We also want to attend the CO state fair which in Pueblo. So have decided to stay in a centrally located C/G in Raton, NM and do day trips in CO and NM. Since we'll be back here in the future, we'll find out if the motor home would have made it along 64 when we drive the toad to Taos.

TexasRVers> We've extended the original three day stay here because there is so much to do. We've done, or will finish doing in the next few days, most of things mentioned except the rafting. Water is too cold. It was 51 degrees this am. But I'm not complaining - it's still near 100 at our home base in TX. :)

JohnBlue> We're going to do a minor league ball game one nite. Guiseppi's Old Depot sounds like a good prelude. Where is it?

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

RLM,

Guiseppi's Old Depot is a great place to eat. We found this tip in Big Rigs book from Kerrville, TX. The restaurant was long ago, Santa Fe railroad station and sits next to main line tracks. The food is great and price was not bad. Up scale place to eat and drink. Address is 10 South Sierra Mardre, travel to downtown, two blocks west off Nevada Ave near Hwy 24 if I remember right. Ask anyone in town. Enjoy this place!

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

"Water is too cold"

And you think it was warmer when we were there? That was some of the coldest water I have ever felt, and I'm convinced our guide was making sure we got our money's worth by getting us as wet as possible. Near the end when all the rafts came together there was a water fight with buckets so if you weren't wet from the trip they really got you good then. We looked like drowned rats, but we had a blast!

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 24 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]8150[/snapback]

RLM,

Guiseppi's Old Depot is a great place to eat.

JohnBlue> You were right!!! and the place was packed. Almost late for the ballgame. Sooo much to chose from, but did the Rueben Calzone. I'll never go back to Philly for one again. :)

11. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

RLM,

Happy you liked the food and had a good time, now off to weight watchers. CO Springs is a great place to tour. :p

12. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Anyone familiar with the area around Carlsbad, NM? Already planning for next summer to the Caverns and Guadelupe mountains.

A Rueben Calzone? I might have to drive to Colorado just to get me one of those!

Where did you see a Minor League game? My son and I love baseball and try and get to the Minor League games when we're out on the road. I know Albuquerque has a team.