No cal/ southwest Or

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by smiledr, Apr 22, 2005.

1. smiledr

smiledr
    Expand Collapse

Here is my tentative itinerary for our summer vacation in early July. I would love your recommendations on the parks i am looking at, or if you have a favorite parks in that area. I would love any recommendations on area attractions and activities. Our only real requirement is that the park be somewhat kid friendly. My Hubby prefers parks with full hookups but it is not a requirement. We are 36' so most of the state campgrounds are unavailable to us.

Manteca ( this just the first night passing through spot)
    looking at French Camp RV Park

Fort Bragg
    looking at Promo RV Park

activities:
    Skunk Train
    Mendocino

Klamath/crescent City area
    1st choice
    Camper Corral
    2nd choice
    Mystic Forrest RV Park
    3rd choice
    Hiouchi Hamlet RV Resort

Activities:
    Trees of Mystery
    Redwood State Park
    Trail of Giants

Klamath Falls
    Klamath Falls KOA

activities:
    Crater Lake
    Lava Beds National Monument
    Oregon Caves

Red Bluff
    Red Bluff RV Park

activities:
    Lake Shasta
    Lassen Volcano National Park

Thanks for your help!! You Guys are great!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    smiledr

2. genestoy

genestoy
    Expand Collapse

Can help you on a couple -
    Pomo RV Park in Fort Bragg is great (we will also be there in early July again this year, Be warned they will not let you in before 2pm!

In Klamath I would say that Camper Corral would be the best bet for children and they have a ton of room to run around and it is all grass. We usually stay at Hiouchi Hamlet, but is definately geared more towards the elderly.

Hope this helps ;)

3. Chis

Chis
    Expand Collapse

Some suggestions:
    - French Camp looks nice and I've heard great things about it (I'm a teacher not to far from this resort). It is located right off Hwy 99 between Manteca and Stockton. There is a golf course at the park and it is very close to a winery with a tasting room. Stay out of the south part of Stockton if you plan on looking for a restaurant, you are better off going back to Manteca.

- We just returned from a trip to the Avenue of the Giants. We stayed at the Benbow RV & Golf Resort the whole stay, driving out each day to explore the area. Benbow RV Park is wonderful, nice sites, very clean, nice pool, great location on the river, friendly staff, and nice little 9 hole golf course. Shelter Cover is a beautiful drive to the coast (take Garberville exit towards Redway). The next day we drove the entire Avenue of Giants with stops to check out some of the more unique trees. Another day we traveled up to the Loleta's Cheese Factory and then over to Ferndale which is a fun town to wander in and out of shops (most shops are closed on Sunday). We saw a very nice RV park in Fortuna along 101.

- Stayed at Klamath Riverside RV Park in Orleans which is on the Klamath River in October to do some Steelhead fishing. Nice little park very quiet with great view of river. The road in through the Hoppa Reservation is a little tight, but we did okay with a 24 foot trailer. This resort might be out of your way but if you want to head inland consider it.

- Just north of Red Bluff is Redding. We stopped a night at Premiere RV Resort and found it very clean and nice, though a little expensive. I think I would have traveled a little further south and stayed in Dunnigan at Campers Inn RV and Golf Resort. Less expensive with nice shade trees and a cute golf course. The road to the resort makes you wonder if you are on the right road but we enjoyed our stop over at this site.

Hope this helps a little... enjoy your summer.

4. smiledr

smiledr
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the great input.