Outdoor Resorts

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by gwbischoff, Dec 12, 2007.

1. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I are looking at "Membership Parks" and haven't yet tried Outdoor Resorts (Indio,CA and Las Vegas). Judging by the reviews, they seem like great locations. Are they a "timeshare" type membership or are you buying the space to use whenever you please?

Any info that you can share would be appreciated.

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Outdoor Resorts is arguably the luxury resort system among RVs--always nice, and always first class in every respect. They sell lot ownerships, but will rent out your lot when you are not using it. Still, the price is awfully steep........

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I know someone who bought at Indio (but don't know if it was Outdoor Resorts), and they are kind of regretting their decision. I'm not sure why......

JJ

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Outdoor Resorts are top of the line places for Class A only in most cases. Some will let in Class C units over 28 feet. As Beastdriver said always first class places. You can own or rent lots. Most people who buy them spent over $100,000 to add more outdoor equipment, plants, trees, walk ways, and other items like ponds, water falls, fire places. The list could go on and on to the money runs out. We have spent time in most all and love the places. Travel over to Las Vegas and check that out one weekend. Three pools, nine holes of golf, super size club house, first class in every way. :p

5. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

If you've never checked out an Outdoor Resorts, it's worth the time. Not a 'membership' park like Thousand Trails, Escapees, etal.

We stayed at the Outdoor Resorts in Aguanga, California for a week last January. They were very friendly and granted immediate discount off the $65 bucks/night fee when we told them we wanted to check it out as potential buyers. Couple sales reps have bought their own lots and act as laid-back information guides.

Was great to talk to others whom have either bought lots, fixed them up and enjoy showing them off, or have had life changes and are interested in selling their lot. At Aguanga, the $65/day fee is split with the absentee lot owner and management. No pressure, or 'follow-up' harrassment calls. Some good values at this beautiful resort.

We didn't buy as no Verizon access yet and just too soon to settle down. Can hardly wait til the weather improves as we'd love to visit the Outdoor Resorts in Newport, Oregon.

6. Travelin Rose

Travelin Rose
    Expand Collapse

There is a coupon at this website for 5 free nights at the Outdoor Resorts in either Las Vegas or Indio.

http://www.or-indio-vegas.com/

You can read the reviews from RVers who have used the coupon. They report that they were not pressured to buy.

7. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

So, let me get this right.

You actually own the land, right? (Fee simple title).

It's not a "timeshare" type deal where you pay a few thou and you're able to "use" their facilities and other parks in their system as well?

8. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

--------------------------
    'gwbischoff' date='Dec 13 2007:
    So, let me get this right. You actually own the land, right? (Fee simple title)....

----------------------------

Affirmative. Not a timeshare.

Only experienced with buying/selling property in California. (Bonded Realtor only...no lawyer necessary.) Each area has a tax-base, (Aguanga is pretty low). Property taxes assessed at time of purchase and DO NOT adjust annually. (who says california sucks...?) Nice for retirees as it doesn't matter if mega-mansions built next door...your taxes remain fixed at purchase.

9. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Dec 13 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]9460[/snapback]

--------------------------
    'gwbischoff' date='Dec 13 2007:
    So, let me get this right. You actually own the land, right? (Fee simple title)....

----------------------------

Affirmative. Not a timeshare.

Only experienced with buying/selling property in California. (Bonded Realtor only...no lawyer necessary.) Each area has a tax-base, (Aguanga is pretty low). Property taxes assessed at time of purchase and DO NOT adjust annually. (who says california sucks...?) Nice for retirees as it doesn't matter if mega-mansions built next door...your taxes remain fixed at purchase.

No Jackson Hole phenomenon where uber-rich newcomers ultimately drive the locals off as their annually assessed property taxes skyrocket.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Looks like my RE license might come in handy.

10. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Gwbischoff:
    Forgot to note: there is a "association fee" which varies depending on the Outdoor Resorts location your researching. The Aguanga (California) resort had a couple hundred/month fee which goes into maintaining: fountains, golf courses, clubhouse, lighting, security, trash pick-up...you get the idea.

Which one are you guys researching?
    Foster I's

11. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Dec 15 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]9486[/snapback]

Gwbischoff:
    Forgot to note: there is a "association fee" which varies depending on the Outdoor Resorts location your researching. The Aguanga (California) resort had a couple hundred/month fee which goes into maintaining: fountains, golf courses, clubhouse, lighting, security, trash pick-up...you get the idea.

Which one are you guys researching?
    Foster I's

Palm Springs has a few places like that. Most are 55+ and we don't fit into that category just yet. I've been to the one in Aguanga before as well and that wouldn't be out of the question either.

We stayed at the Outdoor Resort in Cathedral City recently and loved it. I've seen the ads for the Indio and Las Vegas properties for some time now and wondered if they were similar.

12. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

I own a lot at Outdoor Resorts, Indio, CA. In fact, that is where I am at this time. Over the past few years, I have visited several different ones. You do purchase the property and there is a monthly HOA fee. At this ORI, the monthly is $375. That will vary with the resort. Also, there are property taxes. Water, cable, garbage pickup, golf, gym, pools, spas, club house, etc are included but you do have an electric meter and it is billed through the utility company. Prices range from $130,000 to about $345,000.

This resort is pretty much laid back---Different ORI Resort have different "personalities". For instance, Outdoor Resort Motor Coach Country Club Resort which is just across the street there seems to be a contest to see who can build the most expensive entertainment center, spa, casita, etc. Some are so elaborate that it just blows your mind. We have asked many times---what does a person's net worth have to be to "justify" $2-3 million tied up in a lot and motor home???? Most are very high end coaches---Prevost, Newells, etc. It is fun to drive through, but I would not be comfortable over there.

But the place is absolutely beautiful. You can get 5 free nights there. Only class A motor homes are permited--I think 36' or over. This the restriction for most Outdoor Resorts.

The Outdoor Resort at Cathedral City near here allows 5th wheels and probably travel trailers.

13. tallyo

tallyo
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Travelin Rose @ Dec 13 2007, 02:08 AM) [snapback]9455[/snapback]

There is a coupon at this website for 5 free nights at the Outdoor Resorts in either Las Vegas or Indio.

You can read the reviews from RVers who have used the coupon. They report that they were not pressured to buy.

I have stayed at several ODR's around the country and have always found them very nice. Sometimes the location was a wee bit out of the way but nice otherwise. Sometimes they get a wee bit snobby but I have learned to walk around all that stuff. I met a real nice gentleman this year in his $2million MH, but he wouldn't adopt me.
    My thinking is as long as I enjoy TRAVELING in my MH , why spend $70,000 - $300,000 plus , pay taxes and maintenance fees to buy a lot to have my MH sit on? When I can go sit on that lot for a few days. weeks or more and still enjoy the amenities of ODR? I think if I bought the lot I would feel obligated to sit on it. I believe most ODR's have a fixed rate for a month of $1250.

14. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tallyo @ Jan 21 2008, 06:01 PM) [snapback]9977[/snapback]

QUOTE(Travelin Rose @ Dec 13 2007, 02:08 AM) [snapback]9455[/snapback]

I have stayed at several ODR's around the country and have always found them very nice. Sometimes the location was a wee bit out of the way but nice otherwise. Sometimes they get a wee bit snobby but I have learned to walk around all that stuff. I met a real nice gentleman this year in his $2million MH, but he wouldn't adopt me.
    My thinking is as long as I enjoy TRAVELING in my MH , why spend $70,000 - $300,000 plus , pay taxes and maintenance fees to buy a lot to have my MH sit on? When I can go sit on that lot for a few days. weeks or more and still enjoy the amenities of ODR? I think if I bought the lot I would feel obligated to sit on it. I believe most ODR's have a fixed rate for a month of $1250.

Those are things that we're dealing with and why ultimately we won't be purchasing anything there (or anywhere else, fo rthat matter) for a while.

The "obligation" to go there at least once a month is one of the biggest factors. We're not near retirement age and there are still way too many places to visit yet. Plus we've got two kids to put through school yet and it's too much to sink into a lot.

That being said, we love it there. We just returned from the Cathedral City location and will continue to rent spots as needed and dream of the day...

15. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

Those are things that we're dealing with and why ultimately we won't be purchasing anything there (or anywhere else, fo rthat matter) for a while.

The "obligation" to go there at least once a month is one of the biggest factors. We're not near retirement age and there are still way too many places to visit yet. Plus we've got two kids to put through school yet and it's too much to sink into a lot.

That being said, we love it there. We just returned from the Cathedral City location and will continue to rent spots as needed and dream of the day...

[/quote]

One thing to remember about the Outdoor Resorts. They are more of a "destination" not an over night stop. So, they are off the highway and may take a while to get to. Most of the people use them for a season. During the winter, there are lots of folks from up north and Canada. They come down to enjoy the beautiful Southern California weather. Then in the summer, people go the the Outdoor Resorts in Oregon on the coast where it is cool.

Certainly not for everyone---but we enjoy it.

16. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I was recently in an Outdoor Resort facility near Myrtle Beach, SC. About half way thru my stay, I had a gentleman knock on the door and asked how I liked the site. Since I've never been in a bad one, I told him it was nice. He said that he had just bought it. I couldn't resist asking the price and was told $60K.

I've been to about 3/4 of the facilites. All are nice. They do rent the sites out for the owners when they're not there. I assume they take a management cut of that.

17. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

We just got back from the Cathedral City,CA property. We picked up the list of available sites there and they run anywhere from 95-200K+.

18. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Jan 23 2008, 02:14 PM) [snapback]10006[/snapback]

I was recently in an Outdoor Resort facility near Myrtle Beach, SC. About half way thru my stay, I had a gentleman knock on the door and asked how I liked the site. Since I've never been in a bad one, I told him it was nice. He said that he had just bought it. I couldn't resist asking the price and was told $60K.

I've been to about 3/4 of the facilites. All are nice. They do rent the sites out for the owners when they're not there. I assume they take a management cut of that.

********I was surprised that they are no more expensive that that. I just checked the website and the listings are from $68,000 to $150,000. Cannot touch anything in Indio, CA for that.

You are correct---if property is rented through the office, they get a hefty cut. But, at least here, the owner can rent privately.

19. C&H from NorCAL

C&H from NorCAL
    Expand Collapse

We are owners at Outdoor Resort Indio. Bought late last year and using it and loving it for the first time this year. We have been to the Outdoor Resorts Aquanga (sp?) East of San Diego which is nice but kind of out in the sticks on a "Wife threatening" road - she threatened she'd kill me if I ever took her over it again! Newport, OR is beautiful when the weather is nice but the other 300 ++ days of the year can be foggy, windy, rain..... Hilton Head, SC is OK. Nice area but older park with LOTS of big trees and large overhanging branches dropping leaves and debris everywhere, with very little personality and only a small pool and community center. Will visit Branson, MO later in the year. Hear it's nice.

As the previous responder said OR-Indio in BEAUTIFUL. Something like a $ 80,000 annual flower budget. Owners landscape and improve their individual lots as they want and MANY are fantastic. Most people have their palm trees lit with small strands of white Christmas lights or rope lights - the entire park is lovely at night. Most lots have sun covers of some sort and outdoor entertainment centers. People are very friendly. You can't walk around the park without getting involved in conversation. Three pools and spas, tennis courts, 18 hole golf course, private owner's lounge, big activity center and a pretty busy activity schedule during the season.

If this isn't Paradise it must be close !!!

20. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(C&H from NorCal @ Feb 27 2008, 06:04 PM) [snapback]10445[/snapback]

We are owners at Outdoor Resort Indio. Bought late last year... If this isn't Paradise it must be close !!!

Hello C&H NorCal and welcome to the southern end of California...AND this site! B)
    I had to laugh at the "wife threatening road" description of the road into Aguanga. It IS a bit like coastal highway 1...

Winter in the southern desert areas is almost perfect...especially if you are protected from the winds. Even had some rains this winter: wildflowers should be magnificent! ;)

Am curious what you think of Indio after spending summers there...perhaps you already have?
    :rolleyes:

Cheers!