Outer Banks, NC

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Cheryl Fuller, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Hubby and I have decided to take a 2 week trip to the Outer Banks, NC in the summer. It will take us 4 days to get there so we will stay about a week before starting the 4 day trip home. When I go to the website for the Outer Banks, it says the town is Manteo. I looked at the park review site here and there is only one review for one park and it was a very bad review. I am not sure what towns are around there. Has anyone gone there and where did you stay?

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl:

The campground in Manteo is not all that great. Drive about 10 miles onto the Island into the towns of Rodanthe and Waves. There are two campgrounds in Rodanthe and one in Waves. All three are nice and, in my opinion, about equal. But the one in Waves, for some reason, is about half the price of the other two. It is family-run, sites are paved, roads are paved, and it is right on the oceanfront. I would highly recommend it.

3. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I went and checked out the parks you suggested and think I have settled on one. Can't remember the name but it is the 2nd one listed in the Waves reviews. I am looking forward to the trip, but not the 1800 mile drive to get there!!!

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Beatsdriver, I went back and checked - it is Ocean Waves Campground, and it was about half the price of the others. It listed the price as $27 for full hook-up, $2 for cable. Didn't mention if there was any discounts, but at that low price, it really doesn't matter. Thanks again.

5. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl,
    You have to get your reservation now for Ocean Waves. You need to mail it too since the owners are in FLD right now. They will fill up fast. We already have ours for the 2 different dates this summer one in june and one in August. Also remember that there are hurricanes and you need to make sure they are open and the roads are open if you are going after a big storm. We were at a Rally at camp hatteras and the road by the bridge at the Oregon Inlet was closed due to the sea crossing over to the bay.

It is a great campground and we have gone there for years. When are you planning to try to get there?

If it is late int he season the Fishermen may have it booked solid in Oct.

6. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl:

Ocean Waves is the correct one. A suggestion: Even though they don't open until March 15, I have found that the owners are always there in late February and early March, usually cleaning up and readying the place for the season. They will answer the phone if they are in the office, so I would start calling during that time. If they are there, they will answer and take your reservation if they have an opening. Also, if you like NASCAR, you will love Clyde, one of the owners. Clyde has a huge collection of Earnhardt memorabilia! Enjoy!

7. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Greg said he would check his calendar when he gets to the office on Monday, so we should have a definite date by early next week and I will make reservations then. Thanks for all of your help. I feel pretty good about staying there as you guys seem to think it is a nice place.

8. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

John, we will go In July. Not sure of the dates yet, but we will on vacation over the 4th.

9. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

If you are going in July you will need to get reservations at Ocean Waves now. they will fill up by the end of the month. Many of us are repeat campers year after year. If you make your reservations now you should get in. Camp hatteras is twice as expensive.

10. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I emailed the people at the Ocean Waves camprground last week about reservations in July and I got a reply back today from a company named Prudential Resort Realty. They said they manage 450 properties and I should contact them if I have interest in any of their properties, so obviously the management has changed hands. Just wanted to pass this info along to you guys.

11. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I just had a thought. I had requested a visitors guide to the area of Outer Banks. Maybe that management company got my email address from them and was basically just sending me an advertisement for their company. Now that I have gone back and reread it, it didn't say anything about an rv park. It just said that they manage 450 properties and I should contact them about my lodging plans.

12. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Must be something different. We got our reservations back for June and August already. We were there over the 4th the last couple years and loved it. They seem to launch lots of fireworks over the 4th from the beach as well as some of the piers have commercial Fireworks.

13. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

John, right now it is our plan to be there on the 4th. When I emailed the owners, I asked about a reservation for th 4th - 11th. As I said before, I still have not heard back from them. I think it was last Friday that I sent the request. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

14. denbroncs

denbroncs
    Expand Collapse

The state park - across from Oregon Inlet (the marina) is real nice. The main drawback is that it does not have full hookups, but it is right on the beach & beautiful and great for a 2-3 day stay.

15. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

cheryl
    enjoy your vacation. my father-inlaw went down there a couple of years ago. i'm trying to remember the campground he stayed at. he said it was nice. he was there towards the end of aug. the temp was around 110 every day. i'll give him a call and get the name for you.

i remember the temp because deb and i where up on the st lawrance river, 1000 IS. area and we where happy the temps where only 80 during the day and mid 50's at night.

we're going to be in ocean city, md the same time. deb always wanted to get sown to the outer banks but we haven't made it yet.

16. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Dog Bone - glad to see you are alive and kickin'. Haven't heard from you for a while. Right now 110 degrees doesn't sound so bad. It is fairly warm today - sunny and in the 40's but they are calling for snow here Wed. - Frid. which I hope doesn't happen because we are supposed to go to Tulsa Friday morning and it would be a bad drive if it was icy and snowy out - actually if it is too bad out we won't be going. I am praying that the weather forecast is wrong. I am finally supposed to get the braces off my teeth on Thursday and I can't drive in the snow!!!

17. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

i'm still hanging around. we just got back from florida, visiting friends. got back to 20degrees. :angry: from 80 B) .
    anyway i haven't seen my father-in-law yet to get that campground name. i haven't forgotten. it looks like your settled in on ocean waves. we usually run around and check out different campground in the area for the next time. might find one better.