Outer banks

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rondog10, Sep 7, 2005.

1. rondog10

rondog10
    Expand Collapse

Planning a trip to the outer banks of North Carolina. I would like to RV on mainland, and tour the banks on motorcycle. I was thinking the Elizabeth City area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. denbroncs

denbroncs
    Expand Collapse

There are a number of great RV parks in the Morehead City area - from which you could take a ferry with your motorcycle to the outerbanks. Depending on which parts of the islands you want to see . . .

3. HUACHUCA

HUACHUCA
    Expand Collapse

Rondog10,

I'm not aware of any campgrounds, good or bad, on the mainland coming in from the north (VA) and I'm certain there aren't any within a reasonable driving distance coming in on US 64 or 264 from the south. These are your only choices unless you take the ferry from Cedar Island or the one from Swan Quarter that dock at the south end of Ocracoke.

What sort of amenities do you prefer when camping? If you don't need hookups, I strongly recommend the National Park Service Campground at Frisco. Its located about five miles south of the Hatteras Lighthouse just off highway 12. Many of the sites on the upper side of the outer loop offer offer a great ocean view and the breeze is usually sufficient to deter any bugs. Other than holiday weekends, its not too crowded and you should be able to find a fairly private site.

Its about an hour's drive south of the Nag Head and Manteo attractions (Jockey's Ridge, Elizabethian Gardens, Lost Colony, Fort Raleigh, NC Aquarium, Wright Brothers Memorial etc.). To the south, its a ten minute drive from campground to the ferry landing (free) over to Ocracoke Island.

There's a KOA in Rodanthe with another high dollar campground nearby. Both of these offer pools, club houses etc but I'm not much on camping within reaching distance of my neighbors. There are some other private campgrounds along highway 12 but I don't have any firsthand experience with them.

Fall is a great time to visit the area. Have fun.

Al