Oven Vents

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, May 7, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

My first two RV's had vents for the oven that went to the outside. My current RV (which I just got) does not have an external oven vent because the oven isn't against the outside wall. I didn't make the connection until I tried to cook something in the oven and set off the fire alarm. I read the owners manual, and figured out I have to have a ceiling vent (which happens to be near the oven) open when I cook in the oven.

How many have ovens that don't have the external vent, and you have to use a ceiling vent? Any issues with this configuration?

JJ

2. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

No outside vent with our current RV either... :huh:
    A fan directly over the cooktop: just blows back into coach over the convection/microwave. The ceiling vent works great! Couple windows open in bedroom to direct the air flow. Only time I get into trouble is with the stand-alone toaster... Have a regular 'wind tunnel' going when we seriously cook. :p

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ May 8 2008, 09:25 AM) [snapback]11426[/snapback]

No outside vent with our current RV either... :huh:
    A fan directly over the cooktop: just blows back into coach over the convection/microwave. The ceiling vent works great! Couple windows open in bedroom to direct the air flow. Only time I get into trouble is with the stand-alone toaster... Have a regular 'wind tunnel' going when we seriously cook. :p

Thanks Foster. Same problem I had. Even if I use the cooktop fan, I still set off the fire alarm. I have a ceiling vent right over the stove, plus a small window 90 degrees from oven (over the sink). I have no problems if I have both open. Ok, I'm going to have to test this configuration out in 10 degree weather! (I like to RV in winter, less crowds!) :eek:

JJ

4. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

My setup is the same. But usually I can just turn on the exhaust fan above the stove and it keeps the alarm from going off.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lee and Fran @ May 8 2008, 05:14 PM) [snapback]11431[/snapback]

My setup is the same. But usually I can just turn on the exhaust fan above the stove and it keeps the alarm from going off.

Ok, as long as there aren't any issues with this configuration.

JJ

6. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We have a cooktop range vent which works very well but as with all vents the motor is very noisy. Have always wanted to put a variable speed control on it. When our unit was new; we had overheating problems with the convection/microwave oven that resulted in damage to the plastic latch handle on not one but two of the oven assemblies. A service bulletin and kit from Holiday Rambler eliminated that problem. At this point we also open the adjacent kitchen window and use the ceiling fan also to move more air in and around the oven, seems to work for us.