Overnight Near Gettysburg

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by JWEngle, May 26, 2007.

1. JWEngle

JWEngle
    Expand Collapse

Planning an upstate New York trip in July with Gettysburg, PA being roughly halfway. All the places I've tried to reserve within 50 miles of Gettysburg seem to require a 2 night minimum. We'd love to stay longer, but really only have time for an overnight. Any suggestions or recommendations?
    TIA

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Is the night you're planning to stay a Friday, Saturday or Sunday? If so, you're going to have a hard time finding any openings in the Gettysburg area especially during July.

However, if the night you're going to stay is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesay or Thursday you'd probably be able to find an opening in any of the campgrounds without a reservation.

I've camped at many campgrounds in the Gettysburg area during the week and never made a reservation.

The only weekdays you would not be able to get into a campground without a reservation would be this year would be July 2nd - 4th....because of all the festivities.

I wish you luck and my favorite campground in the Gettysburg area to stay at is The Gettysburg Campround located on Fairfield Road...super close to everything.

3. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at Artillery Ridge and it is a Passport american campground and we have also stayed at Drummer Boy too. Like both of them.

4. JWEngle

JWEngle
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid we're looking at a Saturday night stay. I've checked Pennsylvania and Maryland locations near our halfway driving point and have been caught up in the two night minimum stay everywhere I've checked. We may have to put in a longer day to get to an area that doesn't have that requirement.
    Thanks again.

5. djncas

djncas
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JWEngle @ May 29 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]7161[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid we're looking at a Saturday night stay. I've checked Pennsylvania and Maryland locations near our halfway driving point and have been caught up in the two night minimum stay everywhere I've checked. We may have to put in a longer day to get to an area that doesn't have that requirement.
    Thanks again.

Try KOA in Williamsport Maryland its about 45 minutes from Gettysburg they do alow overnights and it is close to interstate 70 and 81

6. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi djncas,
    Did you try the following state parks near Gettysburg?

In PA:
    Gifford Pinchot
    Pine Grove Furnace
    Caledonia
    Codorus
    In MD:
    Cacotin Mountain
    Cunningham Falls
    Gambrill
    Greenbrier

Depending on the time of year, your best bet might be to just show up without reservations. We do this quite often and only rarely do not find a spot for one night, especially with a smaller trailer (22 ft). Most campgrounds ask for a minimun two nights reservation on weekends, but they are happy to have you stay for one night in any of their spots that are not taken. In that case, it is best to show up no later than between 3 and 4 pm.