Overnight On The Road

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Galli, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

Yes I know it might not be to public interest :( , however, someone may know how to solve the problem. :)
    When I am travelling, let’s say, Canada – Florida or any other destination that requires to spend the night on the road, I am generally spending the night at the truck stop, however, if you are new on that highway, how do you know where these places are located ? :unsure:
    I was wondering if there is any way to locate these stops with the Internet by entering the Highway number and ????? to have the locations. :eek:
    If anyone know how to retrieve this information it would be a great help

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Google "truck stops" and you will get 20,900,000 hits--or at least I did.

Here are the top 4 on the list I got:

www.truckstopinfoplus.com

www.truckstopinfo.com/state_listings.php

www.trucker.com/TruckStops.aspx

drive18wheeler.com/index.php/truck_stops/index

Also I know Flying J has a brochure that lists their places. I would imagine other chain truck stops would have their own brochures. You can pick one up at any of their sites.

3. JackHammr'

JackHammr'
    Expand Collapse

almost all the chains like Flying J , T/A and Loves among many others have maps available .. Also they all ahve websites , just go to the website and there they are ..

4. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JackHammr' @ Sep 12 2009, 08:57 AM) [snapback]18854[/snapback]

almost all the chains like Flying J , T/A and Loves among many others have maps available .. Also they all ahve websites , just go to the website and there they are ..

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate your input
    Galli

5. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Galli @ Sep 11 2009, 11:16 PM) [snapback]18847[/snapback]

Yes I know it might not be to public interest :( , however, someone may know how to solve the problem. :)
    When I am travelling, let’s say, Canada – Florida or any other destination that requires to spend the night on the road, I am generally spending the night at the truck stop, however, if you are new on that highway, how do you know where these places are located ? :unsure:
    I was wondering if there is any way to locate these stops with the Internet by entering the Highway number and ????? to have the locations. :eek:
    If anyone know how to retrieve this information it would be a great help

Allstays.com has exactly that information. Check out my post (Sept. 20) related to Allstays functionality for smartphones. You can access Allstays either from your computer at home or a smartphone on the road. They have truck stops listed as part of their interstate exit guide, available on either the full size or the mobile site. They also have a campground section, including and a "road store" section on both sites. The full-size computer version has state maps showing the locations of the various stores, truckstops, etc., and a boondocking link section. The mobile version has links to maps to specific store locations--it also tries, in its list of Wal-marts, to flag those that don't allow overnights. The mobile version can also be accessed from your Apple computer, but not a PC.

Or you could go low-tech and just bring along a copy the the "Next Exit" book.

6. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Sep 25 2009, 07:53 AM) [snapback]19214[/snapback]

Allstays.com has exactly that information. Check out my post (Sept. 20) related to Allstays functionality for smartphones. You can access Allstays either from your computer at home or a smartphone on the road. They have truck stops listed as part of their interstate exit guide, available on either the full size or the mobile site. They also have a campground section, including and a "road store" section on both sites. The full-size computer version has state maps showing the locations of the various stores, truckstops, etc., and a boondocking link section. The mobile version has links to maps to specific store locations--it also tries, in its list of Wal-marts, to flag those that don't allow overnights. The mobile version can also be accessed from your Apple computer, but not a PC.

Or you could go low-tech and just bring along a copy the the "Next Exit" book.

Thank you jan-n-john, I shall look into this ASAP, however, I am working with Microsoft programs and i hope not to have problems.
    Regards,
    Galli

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Most truck stops will have billboards well in advace. We drive until we start thinking about stopping which can vary a lot day to day. We may want to eat in or eat out. That might change where we stop. NEXT EXIT is a great, great asset to help in these decisions. The Wal-Mart Atlas is also a great help in locating them. When you are in desolate county like in the West, you can usually find a place withint a half hour or so. Finding a spot to concrete boondock is not hard at all.

8. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Galli @ Sep 25 2009, 09:23 AM) [snapback]19217[/snapback]

Thank you jan-n-john, I shall look into this ASAP, however, I am working with Microsoft programs and i hope not to have problems.
    Regards,
    Galli

Not to worry. The only difference between the two is that an Apple machine can display mobile websites (any mobile website?) whereas a PC generally can't, or so it has been explained to me. I'm no expert, so take this FWIW.

What I'm calling mobile websites are those that have been set up to display their content in a narrow column, so they can easily be read on a small smartphone screen, without scrolling from side to side. Again I'm no expert, but apparently such sites sometimes (always?) have an "m." where the www. usually is. So for example, if this site had a mobile version (it doesn't), it would be or might be http://m.campgroundreviews.com.

Not a big deal, since there really isn't a compelling reason to view the mobile version on a normal computer in the first place--just use the regular version. I mostly mentioned it because AllStay's mobile version's content is a bit different from the regular version, or at least it's arranged quite a bit differently.

9. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Webmaster ask sometime ago if anyone would like to see this web site on a I phone. If I remember right no one did. The post is here someplace yet. If you can not find it let me know and I will see if we can dig it up again. Only problem, if only one person would like to use it the cost to do the work would be to high. Not a lot of people have I phones or other phones like I phones.

I found it. Look under search then type in iphone. Look for the ones from webmaster.

10. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Sep 26 2009, 10:16 AM) [snapback]19243[/snapback]

Webmaster ask sometime ago if anyone would like to see this web site on a I phone. If I remember right no one did. The post is here someplace yet. If you can not find it let me know and I will see if we can dig it up again. Only problem, if only one person would like to use it the cost to do the work would be to high. Not a lot of people have I phones or other phones like I phones.

I found it. Look under search then type in iphone. Look for the ones from webmaster.

That wasn't the issue I was going to above, but since you brought it up I went and found that post. It was from some time back. I think more and more folks are getting smart phones, and whether or not it would have been a good idea then it certainly is becoming a better idea every day. Surely it will "cross the threshold" soon if it hasn't already.

Again I'm not familiar with the technical aspects, but my understanding is that a mobile version of a website can be viewed on most or all smart phones, not just iPhones. It is apps written for a specific phone that are limited to only that make of phone. Apple has made apps famous, but there are similar apps for other brands.

In our case we generally plan our trips in advance and book all our stays before departing home (partly because we travel with two big dogs and want to be sure that won't raise issues), so a mobile-phone version of this site is not as relevant to our needs as it might be for those who choose places to stay on the fly. In any case, I feel a mobile phone version would be a good thing.

11. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

I have just discovered there is a "truck stop" app for the iPhone. It costs $2.99. I downloaded it and it seems pretty good. It is set up by state, then road, then lists the truck stops in order by exit number, and gives basic information about each--it also has truck stops located on US and state highways. For each you can tap a button and it will take you to Google maps and pinpoint the location for you on the map.

It also has information on rest stops set up similarly, and Wal-marts, though the Wal-marts are listed by town rather than highway.

12. rigler

rigler
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Oct 18 2009, 11:05 AM) [snapback]19596[/snapback]

I have just discovered there is a "truck stop" app for the iPhone. It costs $2.99. I downloaded it and it seems pretty good. It is set up by state, then road, then lists the truck stops in order by exit number, and gives basic information about each--it also has truck stops located on US and state highways. For each you can tap a button and it will take you to Google maps and pinpoint the location for you on the map.

It also has information on rest stops set up similarly, and Wal-marts, though the Wal-marts are listed by town rather than highway.