Overnighting On The Road In A 5'ver

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Mickeylalor, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Mickeylalor

Mickeylalor
    Expand Collapse

So we're pretty new at Rv'ing, just starting out this year with our 5th wheel. We've made a handful of trips to parks where we've done a complete setup.

Our next trip will take two days to get to our destination. I'm looking for advice regarding the overnight stay during the travel. Questions are: Do I need to disconnect and setup the trailer? Is it bad to stabilize the back, put out the slides, while leaving the truck connected?

Last question: Any recommendations for that overnighter on US 59 in Texas, between Houston and Texarkana?

Thanks for your comments.

2. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Are you thinking of overnighting in a campground, or somewhere like a truck stop or a Walmart parking lot? Or considering both?

3. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

The few times I have done this, I left the trailer hooked up and the slides in. It was in a rest stop and we were only going to be there just long enough for me to get a few zzzz. We can get at anything we need with the slides closed.

Home in the driveway, I have had the trailer hooked up and the slides out to make loading easier. I just put the stabilizers down.

4. trailmaster

trailmaster
    Expand Collapse

We always stay hooked up when we are only staying over night. we usually hook up water,sewer and electric. If not level then use the tongue jack . Most times the spot is level enough without it. Been doing this going on 8 yrs full timing now.

5. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

We do cross country vacations with lots of overnight stays. We always keep the truck connected to the 5'er on an overnight, but put down the front landing gear just enough to take the weight off the truck for the night. The rear stabilizers we also put down and we extend the slide. Keep all the rest as simple as possible. For example, we have some great patio chairs that weigh a ton.......we bring them out only for extended stays, using a couple of light, easily stored, chairs for overnight use. Sometimes we connect to cable, sometimes not. Same with sewer. Remember that it all takes time to disconnect, drain, put-away, the next morning. After a couple of one-nighters, you'll learn what works for you.

6. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Oct 18 2010, 10:17 PM) [snapback]24633[/snapback]

We do cross country vacations with lots of overnight stays. We always keep the truck connected to the 5'er on an overnight, but put down the front landing gear just enough to take the weight off the truck for the night.

I'd also consider unplugging the brake line just in case the battery tries to draw from your truck. It shouldn't if you're plugged into shore power, but if you're in a Wal Mart or Cracker Barrel parking lot, you may have trouble getting started the next morning.

Sliders shouldn't be a problem, but I agree with MaineDon - put the feet down and take the weight off the truck bed. Double check the hitch before you pull out, make sure some passing lunatic didn't mess with anything too (am I paranoid... is that what people are saying)?

7. Mickeylalor

Mickeylalor
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much for the responses. Those were all things I'd considered doing but wanted to hear from experienced folks too.
    I'm pretty sure we'll stay in a campground for these overnighters. The idea of staying at a rest area or Walmart seems fine with me, however my wife isn't too sure about it. Plus, I do not have a generator to run, and fear that I'd be unable to run much electricity in the trailer - knowing its drawing power off the battery, and truck batteries (i think). I'd hate to wake up to a dead truck battery!

All comments have been great - look forward to hearing more.

Mickey