Pa Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by kimpro, Jul 23, 2005.

1. kimpro

kimpro
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at the Canyon Country Campground, Wellsboro Pa on 7/21 and 7/22. The owners were very rude and belligerent. There wasn't anything to write home about. The sites were very unlevel. No stone or gravel. Very small sites and hard to access. They are AAA approved but the only "discount" was the rate guarantee. They charged us $2.00 for being a half hour early. You pay for two adults and additional for a child. Nothing in the store. :( The store and office doesn't look anything like what it shows on the website.

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Kimpro:

I looked in the Pennsylvania reviews but did not see your review on this campground. Did you post information on your experience on this website in this category? If not, you should!

3. kimpro

kimpro
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I did post it, but i don't see it there yet. :)

4. genestoy

genestoy
    Expand Collapse

All,
    It will show up when the webmaster checks all the latest reviews and then posts them. That is what makes this site so reliable as nothing is posted automatically without human review! :)

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Kimpro,

We plan to tour Grand Canyon of Pa. in Oct this year. Did you find any other place that would work well? I see the Leonard Harrision state park near by. Do I need to change our plans and find a new place to tour? Motel 6 may be better??

6. kimpro

kimpro
    Expand Collapse

If you have children, http://www.bucktailcamping.com/ is suppose to be a good one not far from the canyon. A neighbor at the Canyon Country Campground gave it good reviews. I would not stay at Canyon Country Campground again!!

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Kimpro,

Thanks for the infor, no kids. I found Bucktail Camping in TL and on this site under Mansfield. The only bad item was, may be a problem with big rigs. Everything was very good in write up. I will call camp site before we travel in Oct. and see if this is a problem. In the past we have ask about big rigs and answer was no problem here. As soon as we drive in I hear "I did not know it would this size", o'great.

8. CAMPIN KEN

CAMPIN KEN
    Expand Collapse

John Blue,

I camped at a very nice park in the 90's called Stony Fork CG.

They recently were taken over by new owners and it sounds like they are making a lot of improvements. This CG was a 10 minute driver to the PA Grand Canyon.

You might want to check it out. www.stonyforkcamp.com

Ken

9. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jul 23 2005, 09:49 PM)
    Kimpro,

We plan to tour Grand Canyon of Pa. in Oct this year. Did you find any other place that would work well? I see the Leonard Harrision state park near by. Do I need to change our plans and find a new place to tour? Motel 6 may be better??
    [snapback]2398[/snapback]

Leonard Harrison is a rustic campground. They have added a few electric sites, but unless you love to rough it or you have a self-contained unit, you'd be better off looking at one of the nearby commercial campgrounds. But, I can tell you the views are beautiful from Leonard Harrison on the east rim of the Little Grand Canyon. There's also Colton Point State Park on the west rim...the same rustic camping but beautiful scenary.

10. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

BBear and Campin Ken,

Thanks for the tips, I will check them out. We are self-contained and could live in a corn field if we had to. Power and water is nice to have.

11. Lori

Lori
    Expand Collapse

www.stonyforkcamp.com

I have been to Stony Fork just this year. They did a nice job.
    It is "safe" to stay there!

New owners are working hard.

Now I did not stay there, but I drove through it because my parents have a place nearby.