Pacific Coast Highway

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Kimo, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Kimo

Kimo
    Expand Collapse

I have decided to travel the Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1) and would like some ideas from other that have done so. Should I do this in 2 trips (WA and OR and then CA?) Time it takes to drive doesn't matter. Should I drive south? (Easier to pull into lookouts on the ocean side) I have heard about the traffic during the summer, is it still a good trip to do in say, January, February, March etc?
    Thanks for any input, including any campgrounds that are "don't miss this one whatever you do

Kimo"

2. julievojo

julievojo
    Expand Collapse

Fall is my favorite time to travel the coast highway. The weather is still nice and the traffic is light. It doesn't really matter if you start in the north or the south.

Be sure to stop in Westport Washington, Bandon Oregon, Crescent City CA, Mendocino CA. (these are just a few of our favorite places)

We're heading in this direction next week, leaving on Monday. We're starting out in NW Washington, then heading south. We'll probably go as far as Monterey CA. Then we're hoping to head over to Yosemite, then to Moab UT, then Denver and home from there.

No matter which direction you head, you'll have a great trip, it's a beautiful part of the country.

Julie
    :blink:

3. Kimo

Kimo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks julievojo, I have added your stop over suggestions to my list. I am so looking forward to this trip....enjoy yourselves and thanks again.....Kimo

4. USMC55

USMC55
    Expand Collapse

The Big Sur area on Hwy 1 is a must see when in California. My favorite is Ventana Campground. Not many sites for MH, big TT and 5ers' but great for trucks with slide in campers and, of course, tents. Beautiful setting, no hook-ups, however, water is near and there are showers.

5. Kimo

Kimo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your input USMC55. I have had Bid Sur on the radar for years now. Love that tree/woods smell. You brought up a good point about this trip regarding the info I am seeking from others......I am traveling in a 32 foot MH and I don't care if the CG has hook ups or not. Thanks

6. USMC55

USMC55
    Expand Collapse

Take a look at the following website for other camping sites along the Big Sur /Highway 1 road.

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/camping.html

I've also stayed at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Many sites for motorhomes and 5'ers. No hook-ups, hot showers, fire pits. Some nice hiking trails also.

7. seabirdrv

seabirdrv
    Expand Collapse

The weather is cooler in the Fall and so far no rain to speak of in southwest Oregon where we are located. Brookings-Harbor, Oregon is located just 28 miles north of the Oregon/California border on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). We are a small harbor town of about 5500 residents. Don't let our small size fool you, there is plenty to see and do here. There are five wild rivers all within a hour or less drive from us. The Rogue River, The Pistol River, The Chetco River, The Winchuck River and The Smith River all have incredible hiking trails, rafting adventures, Jet Boat tours, Fishing Trips and much more.

Much of this information can be found on the internet and some of it right from our web site. While traveling the Oregon cost we hope you stop in and visit us. Send us a email and we will give you a discount on your stay with us.

Have a fun and safe trip, if I can be of any further service please feel free to email us.

Shelia and Don Sparlin
    Owners, Sea Bird RV Park
    Brookings-Harbor, Oregon

8. chockwald

chockwald
    Expand Collapse

Big Sur Campground and Cabins is a great place to stay. Privately owned with electric and water hookups, sewer, and they do have a dump station. There are some sites with only water and electricity. Very friendly staff, and nice amenities. Located on west side of Highway 1 just below the Big Sur River Inn about 100 yards. Stayed there in November of 2004. They take reservations....(831) 667-2322.