Park Models For A Home

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Dec 15, 2007.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'm seeing more and more "Park Models" thingies. Does anyone own one?

I'm wondering if I should, eventually, gte a "Park Model" to live in as a home. I currently live in a Condo. I don't want the issues of a home, but condos come in two categories:

Large complexes: In these, there is always someone who wants the fame and fortune of serving as an officer, so you can generally hide in the corner and not get involved.

Small complexes: Either: A: nobody wants to serve as officers, which puts pressure on everyone and can be bad; or B: the same three people don't mind being the dictators because no one else wants to be an officer.

Is living in a Park Model the same as condo living with all those issues, and paying monthly dues? Or is it fee simple like a townhouse?

Any stats on their resale value?

I don't have an issue with large or small, I can live in small places.

Just wondering if I eventually want to get a Park Model.

I'm sure the issue is.... LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!!

JJ

2. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

DXSMac: you've read my mind!!! We're researching also...

Couple adorable Park Models here in Hemet (southern Ca) where we're parked for December. Large RV park/resort (1100 sites) recently purchased by Sunland Group. Park Model sales reps on site. Can only speak for this location: Park Model owners don't own the land which their unit sits. Not "Briney Breezes". Everyone pays site rent. Full-timers however, have much improved rates from our monthly fees.

This particular Hemet resort requires long term renters be 55 yrs old. Apparently the voice of the long-term renters (Park Model owner or RV) diminished considerably when Sunland took over. Couple outraged octagenarians in residence.

Even in remote Hemet, California...in midst of a housing price crash: the entry price for a condo, or 'garden home' in a 55+ community is $250K. I can understand why the Park Model sales office is crowded every morning when we walk the resort parimeter...

3. dmsscs

dmsscs
    Expand Collapse

My son has lived in a park model for 8 years. He seems happy in it. I am hoping when he marries in the fall, he will re-think his living arrangement before they have kids. The park he is in doesn't have condo-fees, or maintenance fees, just his yearly site rent, elec, and propane.
    I don't think there is a heck of a lot of re-sale value in an older camper. The value just goes down. A lot of parks don't allow older units in on a permanent or seasonal basis. My husband and I have a motor home, summers up north winters down south. I don't think I would adjust to life in the park model too well. I like to keep the big wheels rollin'. :lol:

4. stripit

stripit
    Expand Collapse

The park we are in here in Casa Grande, Az is a co-op park, You must be 45 or older and you get to be a lot owner. The yearly rate here per lot is $925. Your park model can be 400 sq feet, and you may have up to 400 sq. foot added room, or enclosed room, and no more than a 200sq ft shed. Seems in this park, the homes, or park models are really holding their own as far as prices go. Lot and park model range from the low of about $69,000 to the high of $110,000. RV lots go from the mid 30's to the high 40's, up from last year. I find many of the residents here are ex RV travelers who have found the park the place they decided to stay in. They are saying that the park models are easier to heat and cool than a RV. Some day we may too decide to buy one. Just like everything else, they make real good ones and not so good ones, mostly has something to do with quality?? and cost.

5. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Park Models are very popular here in Florida. They have been using them down here for 20 or more years. I have never owned one or would I by one. I just would not want to be tied into the same park year after year. I have several friend that have them and they suit their needs very well. The key to them maintaining there value is the park they are in. If the park is kept up they seem to hold their value.

6. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

There is a large Park Model park in Maine, over 250 units and some are very well appointed. Have had the opportunity to view the interiors of a few and gave the impression that they are very comfortable. But for everyday living, the needs and conditions, (number of occupants,etc), would have to be considered; may get very short on space for more than say one or two persons.