Pianotuna - Timer Question For Batteries

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by abbygolden, Mar 27, 2010.

1. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

Pianotuna (or anyone) - you have recommended that I place my seven t-105s on a timer while I'm gone for four months this summer, charging them for 12 hours once a week. I suspect that you would recommend a 7 day timer. If this is the case, would you recommend a specific brand to me? Also, what should I do about the water level in the batteries as there is no way to check them while I'm gone and no one nearby to check. Is this a non-problem? As a reminder, the batteries will be in a dark garage with the summer temps at times 95-100. Thanks for your help and advice.

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

3. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Mar 27 2010, 10:52 PM) [snapback]21464[/snapback]

Hi Abbygolden,

I can't recommend a particular brand of timer. I hope you can find a 7 day timer. They don't exactly grow on trees.

Here is one:

http://www.1000bulbs.com/34195/?utm_source...=www.nextag.com
    Good luck!

Ok, thanks. You do recommend a 7 day timer, don't you? And do I have a problem with the water in the cells or not? Thanks again.

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Abbygolden,

Gassing happens at higher voltage charging rates. If you plan on a trickle charger on a timer, I doubt that it will be a problem. Or if a temperature compensated charger is used. Or if a "smart" charger is used.

1% self discharge rate is common for flooded cells. The idea of 12 hours a week of charging is to replace that lost energy.

I would certainly check the water levels before I left--and I would also set up the timer/charger for at least two weeks before I left.

5. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Mar 29 2010, 03:37 AM) [snapback]21475[/snapback]

Hi Abbygolden,

Gassing happens at higher voltage charging rates. If you plan on a trickle charger on a timer, I doubt that it will be a problem. Or if a temperature compensated charger is used. Or if a "smart" charger is used.

1% self discharge rate is common for flooded cells. The idea of 12 hours a week of charging is to replace that lost energy.

I would certainly check the water levels before I left--and I would also set up the timer/charger for at least two weeks before I left.

Don,

Thanks for your help. I'll follow your advice.