Places to See

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by stonybirch, Aug 9, 2005.

1. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

B) We are planning a 1-2 weeks trip into Kentucky & Tennessee for after Labor Day and would like some suggestions on interesting sights to visit. We prefer to visit 'natural wonders' and eliminate much of commerical stuff. We like going off the 'beaten path' and staying in the more quiet campgrounds and RV Parks. Our motorhome is small and we have a pet. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks to all!

2. Homer

Homer
    Expand Collapse

The blue line highways in Kentucky are all pretty scenery. There are some outstanding State Parks all over the state. My favorite area is called, the land between the lakes, especially near Bards town. There are beautiful horse farms particularly around Lexington. Incidentally, a c/g called the "Horse Park" at exit 122 off I-75 in North Lexington is a fantastic campground, offering tours through stables and horse farms. Last I heard they do not take reservations, first come first served, it is a large c/g. I like any where in East Tennessee, it is all pretty. Check out the state park at Clinton Tennessee and Norris Dam. The Appalachian Museum in the same area is a must see for a history lesson on the first settlers of the appalachian mountains. It is comprised of real cabins, barns and everything else those first settlers used. Beautiful country and you are never far from a good meal. :D

3. JWEngle

JWEngle
    Expand Collapse

Mammoth Cave near Bowling Green, KY is about as natural as it gets. We stayed at Diamond Caverns campground which is the closest full service park near the cave. We enjoyed both the cave and the campground.

4. wxjeff

wxjeff
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like a great trip, and your goals are similar to mine when camping.

My suggestions:

Chattanooga: specifically Chickamauga Battlefield and Lookout Mountain (very scenic and historic.) The Tennessee Aquarium is very nicely done, but IMHO a bit pricey and typically overrun with groups of school kids (go in the mid to late afternoon!)

Fall Creek Falls State Park: Absolutely the best state park in the South! It's huge and you could easily spend three or four days here alone hiking and enjoying the lake.

Western Kentucky is very idyllic in September... we used to spend a lot of time along I-24 when I was in the Air Force and I always loved the countryside between Cadiz and Paducah. I would think any of the Land Between the Lakes area campgrounds would make good base camps, although I can't recommend any one specifically.

Have a great time!!

5. Lance-a-Lot

Lance-a-Lot
    Expand Collapse

Cumberland Falls State Park near Corbin, KY is very scenic. However, I do not recommend their campground (small sites that require lots of leveling).

Natural Bridge State Resort Park near Slade, KY is very scenic. The Red River Gorge area near this park in the Daniel Boone National Forest is also spectacular.

6. junkmanstan

junkmanstan
    Expand Collapse

Defeated Creek COE on lke Hull near Carthage, TN is one of the most beautifull COE parks you will ever see. It even has a few full hookups.

7. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

History buffs should stop in Hodgenville, Kentucky for Abraham Lincoln Birthplace and a visit on Saturday night to the Lincoln Jamboree for a country music fest. This little down-home establishment has been in business for over 50 years and is on the tour bus circuit. About 30 minutes from Hodgenville is Bardstown with tours of the whiskey breweries and a visit to the outdoor musical, The Stephen Foster Story, which is a pleasant night under the stars with great music and beautiful costumes.

The drive from Frankfort to Lexington on Hwy. 60 passes through beautiful horse farm country and past the famous castle just outside Lexington that is currently under renovation. Interesting stories have been told about the castle. The interior buildings recently burned and is being rebuilt. Adjacent to the castle is beautiful Calumet farms and Keeneland Race Track for a day at the races.

Southeast of Lexington is Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge for a day of hiking. Particularly nice in the fall.

Mammoth Cave is definitely a stop in southern Kentucky and perhaps the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green (the home of the manufacturing plant for the Corvette).

Kentucky has very nice state parks for camping. We have stayed in most of them and they are clean and well run.

8. rlbpjb

rlbpjb
    Expand Collapse

Grand Rivers KY....Hillman Ferry Campground is a great place to visit and camp at.