Pocatello & West Yellowstone

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Skyewriter, May 5, 2005.

1. Skyewriter

Skyewriter
    Expand Collapse

We will be visiting Pocatello and Yellowstone soon. We were wondering if you folks can provide advice on good campgrounds at both locations.

Secondly, we have a 40 ft. motorhome and a toad. How is U.S. 20 between Idaho Falls and West Yellowstone? Does this road have steep grades and a lot of curves?

Thanks.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We spent time in Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Very nice park, new, has about everything, and next door to Yellowstone. The Hwy 20 should be OK from Pocatello to park. I have no information on RV sites in Pocatello, I checked this site to see one park "Cowboy RV Park". Rating are not great.

3. dapmfp

dapmfp
    Expand Collapse

Grizzly is one of our favorites. We have reservations again for 5 nites in June.
    We stayed in '01, '03 and '04. Last year it snowed on June 10 while we were there.
    Have not stayed in Pocatello.

4. BethnBubba

BethnBubba
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at the KOA in Pocatello a couple of years ago on just an overnight. I don't recall being overly impressed by it, but it's also not on our 'Never Again' list.

Beth, Chris 'n Bubba
    Beaver Contessa
    CRV Toad

5. FrankReno

FrankReno
    Expand Collapse

John Blue is correct, Grizzly Park is very nice!

6. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Dittol on Grizzly Yellowstone RV Park. It is the best.

7. J59T

J59T
    Expand Collapse

I was in Idaho Falls, ID last summer with my family, but not in our RV. I had rented a car and drove from Idaho Falls to Grand Tetons and to Yellowstone. There were some curves and some grades. I was thinking I was glad not to be pulling our 5th wheel. It may be a bit easier with a motorhome.

8. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Highway 22 over the Teton Pass from Idaho Falls is a bit dicey with 10% grades. We prefer to go through Hoback Junction to the Tetons.

9. PokyRVer

PokyRVer
    Expand Collapse

It was a number of years ago (15) but we stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone. Not bad - more open with smaller sites than we like (we were in a popup and enjoy state and national park camping) but clean and well-kept. It's a little ways west of town, but not far. There's lots of driving in Yellowstone anyway - what's another 5 or 6 miles? :) If it's been kept up, I would recommend it - seemed to be some good places for big rigs, and it has a nice mountain view from the sites up at the top of the gently sloped hill the campground is on.