Policy Change Flyin J

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by chuckl, Jul 8, 2010.

1. chuckl

chuckl
    Expand Collapse

I have noticed that as we made our way west at the flyin J stops they were requiring you to guess how much gas not the gal but the total price. Did not see this east or south they tried to explain this as the big banks were restricting the amount you could charge but that makes no sense as you could still fill up by over shooting the amount and then hoping you have enough in the bank to cover the total which some one gets to keep until the bank reconciles this. Never heard of this before and my bank has no idea what they are talking about. Is this part of the pilot merger or just local franchisee trying to make a couple of fast ones

2. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Don't use Flying J much but it is not unusual at all for a truck stop to ask how much (dollars) I expect to use when filling with diesel. They then get credit card approval for that amount and set the pump to shut off if you reach that amount. I guess if you tell them 100 gallons or whatever, they do not want to do the aritmetic themselves. If you do not spend all that was approved they just change the amount to the actual spent when they put the charge through. Perhaps the difference would remain as some kind of hold, but I would not know that as we never run balance close to limit and it would not be a factor. I never questioned it - it just made sense to me that the merchant would verify funds were available before allowing fuel to be put in tank so they would know they were going to get paid.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have a Flying-J R.V. Real Value Plus Master Card. We use the truck pumps due to high flow rate. We run the card in the pump then pump in all the fuel you wish. We receive six cents off each gal. or the street price. Then go inside and sign the CC slip and drive off into the sun. What is hard about this? :p

4. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jul 9 2010, 08:22 PM) [snapback]22914[/snapback]

We have a Flying-J R.V. Real Value Plus Master Card. We use the truck pumps due to high flow rate. We run the card in the pump then pump in all the fuel you wish. We receive six cents off each gal. or the street price. Then go inside and sign the CC slip and drive off into the sun. What is hard about this? :p

Do you find that the FJ truck pumps usually accept credit cards?--my recollection is that you usually have to go inside. Even at the RV pumps, where they generally have that separate stand for the CC, it typically is out of order.

My three main potential pet peeves at any gas station are (1) I can't use a CC at the pump, (2) it won't give me a receipt because they are too lazy to put in new paper strips ("Please see attendant") and (3) it pumps sooooo slowly and I have stand there forever to get my fuel. As you can see, my goal is to get in and out of any fuel station ASAP--not a place I like to spend time. It drives me up a wall when I have to stand inside and wait behind these fools buying their Mountain Dew, snuff, and lottery tickets.

Sorry for the rant. And yes I know they make their profits on the Mountain Dew not the fuel.

5. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Jul 10 2010, 09:59 AM) [snapback]22919[/snapback]

Do you find that the FJ truck pumps usually accept credit cards?--my recollection is that you usually have to go inside. Even at the RV pumps, where they generally have that separate stand for the CC, it typically is out of order.
    I couldn't use our credit cards at FJ truck pumps for a couple years. A few months ago someone told me that they are again accepting credit cards at the truck pumps, so I tried it in several states.

The card was accepted at every FJ truck pump I tried. Huzzah!

That's important to me because I use a credit card that rebates 5% on fuel purchases, but only if I pay at the pump.